What is DC Offset?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Metoo, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

You mean they are in polarity ;)

As you know, phase is a unit of time, polarity is +-

Its a common mistake that I make all of the time too. Most people mix phase and polarity up. For example, if you have the +- reversed on one of your loudspeakers, they are out of polarity, not phase. If your speakers are having a phasing issue, move one of them forward or backward, to align them in time, or phase.

End of rant. Continue with the thread.

2. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

In that case I stand corrected. Regardless of what you call it, they sound better when they all go the same way. Thanks Joe. :D

3. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Grant, thanks to what you have pointed out I have gone over the readings in some of the original files I had on my hard disk and the DC offset readings never surpass the 0.012% mark. In fact, this was the strongest IIRC. Others as around 0.005% or 0.004%. Sorry for that mistake, guys, I shouldn't be writing about technical things in the wee hours of the morning European time.

In any case, and after correcting the DC offset and later nromalizing I did get clearer sound. Remember that in the first recordings I was recording a mono source in stereo, thus I imagine the DVD offset would have probably caused some strange effects upon merging the two channels specially when one of them had a higher reading than the other.

4. Metoo

BTW, Dingusboy, I finally got to read most of the link you posted yesterday. Very interesting, thank you.

I find this thread quite interesting, including the bit about ground loops and the other one about speaker polarity (I also used to think about it as phase).

Thanks all for such interesting info! Keep the posts coming. :)

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

When using software: If you have a digital source that clips and has a DC offset, convert to 32-bit float first, if possible, declip, THEM remove the offset.

6. Metoo

Thanks, Grant, I've taken note. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.