What is the best cd/box set for Nat King Cole

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Inner ear, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inner ear

Inner ear Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been wanting to check out Nat King Cole's music. I have heard that the older jazz trio material is far more interesting than the later crooner stuff. What would be a good place to start? I figure CD would be the best format for this in terms of getting a larger selection in a small package at a reasonable price.

2. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Inner ear likes this.
  3. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

This is killer:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Earl...397660235&sr=1-42&keywords=nat+king+cole+trio

Assuming you don't want to plump for the mad money it would take to get the Mosaic 18 CD set (really, the definitive box), I know that Capitol/EMI put out a worthy 3 CD distillation of the best from that. Problem is, I can't seem to find a link for you. I'm sure it's out of print, though.

This is also worthy, and does not overlap the transcriptions above or the Capitol trios in the Mosaic:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Trio-Recordin...97661331&sr=1-11&keywords=nat+king+cole+trios

Inner ear likes this.
  4. Inner ear

5. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

CBackley likes this.
  6. Inner ear

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

8. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Pretty sure its all trio.No filler on the one disc I used to have-they get in,get out and onto the next one.I remember reading an interesting detailed piece about these recordings comparing them favorably as a companion to the Mosaic box. Original list price for the Laserlight/Delta box was $20 and all titles were available seperately @$5 each.Always a decent seller in my store back in the day so there are quanities around,so figure that when purchasing.

9. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

sheesh, i'd seen that laserlight set (or its individual discs) around for years, and i hadn't considered it worth my money, having always assumed laserlight was something of a generic 'budget' label putting out sub-standard product. you're saying this is a good sounding set?

(wouldn't be the first time i'd had to reassess a similar opinion--those jsp sets always looked pretty tacky, but lo and behold, a few of 'em sound GREAT.)

either way, thanks--after having picked up mr hoffman's ap/capitol discs, i'd wondered where to go next...

smitquest

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im hoping youre correct. Id like to purchase it also if it is all trio. Reason I wrote that it may not be is because of one of the reviews mentioning that there were quartet performances on the set also.

Wonder if its no noised or any of other buggerbears we hate?

11. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

First of all, you can get it used for under 5 bucks. So it's surely worth a chance if only because of that. Secondly, to expect recordings this old to sound awesome is just wishful thinking. Even if it isn't all trio (which I believe to be the case), the core group is the trio. None of the After Midnight sessions mentioned above are pure trio (trio augmented by a different jazz star for each session). I would consider those to be prime Cole. What is important to me (regardless of whether he's singing or not) is that he plays piano on all of the stuff that's been mentioned. In my estimation, he may have been the most under-rated piano talent (jazz or otherwise) EVER in the history of recorded music.

imarcq and jimac51 like this.
  12. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I just grabbed a used copy of this for $7! Gotta be good for that eh? ;) I have After Midnight SACD by AF/SH which I like, so hopefully will like this too. :) maybe I'll pick up the 3CD Capitol set too, as that's good value. I often play all the later SACDs which SH mastered, but I play After Midnight the most. So maybe time to delve a bit deeper? :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Inner ear likes this.
  13. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

I dunno Mark. Was the shipping cost to your hood like $100 or so? ;)

Yes, get the 3 CD Capitol set AND the 4 CD Transcriptions set I recommended above.

Far be it for me to spend YOUR money, but the best of all worlds is to find as cheap a copy of the Mosaic as possible.

14. imarcq

Nah the shipping was about the same so not too bad. It's only Popmarket that do the dirty on Oz. I did see the mosaic on eBay....bit outta my price league, but looked cool. I think the next set will be the 3CD Capitol I think. I'm also seeing a set called Straighten up and fly right which is early radio broadcasts...

15. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

That would be a decent choice, but personally, I'm not a huge fan of "crooning". That's part of the reason I much prefer the piano playing Cole, where he sings but doesn't croon amid all those lush, string-laden arrangements. These are some of the other noteworthy releases with Cole:

upload_2014-4-17_19-54-55.jpeg upload_2014-4-17_19-55-24.jpeg upload_2014-4-17_19-56-13.jpeg [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. imarcq

Thanks for the recommendations. I didn't realise that. Yes I prefer the more piano/jazz band trio stuff, if it's like After Midnight then I'll like it. especially the Jazz violinist, which I never knew even existed as a musical style until I heard that album lol...

17. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Yes, Stuff Smith is the bomb. PM if you want some recs!

Another great violinist is Stephane Grapelli, a partner in crime with Django Reinhardt.

imarcq likes this.
  18. imarcq

I think I might have some of that in my Jazz Disques Vogue box....

19. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

I believe you do ;) If you end up liking Django enough, you could always pick up one of the cheap (there are SEVEN :yikes:) multi CD JSP label boxed sets!

20. imarcq

Yes I did, just checked, and I liked it too. Better steer this back to Nat now else I'll be in trouble for thread diversions as usual... ;)

21. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Ok, let me know if you've got any more money burning a hole in your pocket :laugh:

imarcq likes this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

While I realize that many old recordings may not sound great ; thats not really what I was talking about. Have no idea of how it sounds as far as mastering. If it has been no noised quiet a bit then no thanks. Thats what I was refering to.

Looks like a pretty cool set. Maybe someone who has it can mention if its well mastered. If it is then 5 bucks sounds great. If not and depending how bad it might be mastered then it may or may not be worth a nickel to me.

And some of the most awesome sounding music is old music. Capitol recordings can sound amazing.

23. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Sometimes you gotta take what you can get if you truly want the music. THIS is a lesson that few here have learned. "The music's the thing!" Fwiw, no budget CD in the history of CDs has been "well mastered". If it were, it wouldn't be a budget CD. AFAIK, THAT music is not available elsewhere. But like I said, if you want the cream of the crop, the Mosaic's the thing. That transcription set I mentioned earlier is pretty phenomenal as well.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think it may be true that some things have to be accepted. But Im not going to without some research. Then if I know that all options are gone. I may indeed have to "settle".

Im not sure if you are using hyperbole about no budget cd in the history having good mastering. I havent found that to be true.

Id looooove that Mosaic. I bet its awesome. But I can sure buy a lot of music for 450$.

Ill check that transcription out :) thanks!

25. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Have at it :) You have to be the one who is ultimately happy about your purchases.

You're welcome. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.