What is the best new CD player you can buy today for under $1,000.00?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

I agree. I own a $3000 Cyrus with Mapleshade upgrades and the Oppo. The Cyrus is maybe 15% better for CDs for more than twice the money. And the Oppo is great with SACDs.

2. sgb

sgb Senior Member

My Marantz was. Of course it has been out of warranty a few years, now.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

If the eBay seller does not identify itself as authorized dealer, the manufacturer may not recognize the warranty.

4. I think it really depends on the manufacturer.

5. coopmv

Most manufacturers will stand behind the dealer network ...

6. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I registered my new purchase online, and got a welcome email from Marantz—just as I had on my older SA-14 and my integrated amp for my home theater.

7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Under $1000? I'd have to say the Cambridge Audio 752BD. Plays everything - SACD, DVD-A, HDCD and CD. Blue-ray audio is a given. Five Wolfson WM8740 DACs which have been found in players going into four figures. Sound? Liquid to my ears. Makes playing music seem like the effortless joy you only ever wish for and comes in a package that is as neat but robust as you could reasonably ask.

8. coopmv

Teac and Pioneer both offer SACD/CD players under $1000.

9. Brother_Rael

I know they do! I'm not out to cover every manufacturer that has a disc-spinner covering off those other three formats though...!

10. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

I
    I had the Cambridge Azur 351c and just upgraded to the 651c. I love the Cambridge warmth and honnesty and going to the 651c was magical on the highs specially. To me it's a very good deal under $1000.

Shiver and Brother_Rael like this.
  11. coopmv

I prefer to stick with Rega as I have excellent experience with its Planet 2000 and it is still British made ...

bhazen likes this.
  12. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Haven't heard the 651c but it gets really good reviews. Cambridge gear, on the whole and from what I've seen, always seems to have good measured performance - perhaps why it has that transparent and un-biased nature and delivery.

13. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Better question is probably what CD player /DAC combo in that price range.

I'm really happy with my Teac UD-H01 DAC, got it new for $189 deeply discounted.

Yes it's not quite up to the detail resolving power of my Musical Fidelity late model M1 DAC, but for the money is very impressive.

IMO....Find a decent player as a transport, use the rest of the $$$ to get a Teac UD-H01 DAC and you're reasonably set at a cost effective price. It takes a lot of cash to improve on a digital rig these days from setups like that. It's not like it was years ago, digital is much more cost effective to get superb results these days.

14. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

I was wondering what you're using as a transport?

15. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

A year and a half after this thread was started and I still say Sony SCD-XA5400ES.
    Mine may well be the last silver disc spinner I ever purchase.
    It also accommodates SACDs.
    Enticingly musical and analogue like.

Happy Listening!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    Kkfan and Metralla like this.
  16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

definitely a nice, smooth sounding unit a cut above the mid level stand alone players.

Kkfan and VinylRob like this.
  17. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Is it hackable (to make it play any region blu-ray), like the Oppo, or not?

18. Brother_Rael

Mine came as multi-region out the box. No hack required.

19. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Cheap DVD player+Schiit Gungnir

Boom.

20. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Happy with my Marantz CD5004. Sounds ok. The handling is absolutely flawless and the unit has a nice display with CD-Text and a 20 tracks music calendar (rare these days!).

21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Thanks for info. My bad. I didn't notice you lived in Scotland! The North American version is restricted to region 1 out of the box. (Hardware hack can be purchased separately).

22. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'm intrigued by the Music Hall CD player. I'm curious because the same company did such a good job with the Marimba speakers.

bruce2 likes this.
  23. FJC1966

FJC1966 The Prestonian

24. Brother_Rael

No problem! I think Cambridge might factory set that for Richer Sounds who I bought from. All I knew was that two items I couldn't play on my old Marantz UD7007 suddenly played without a hitch (Lost in Translation Region 1, and a Space 1999 boxset from Region 4 which I think is Australia).

townsend likes this.
  25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

How's the new Rega Apollo R? Any opinions?

I never liked Rega cd players, I have auditioned the original Planet and the Saturn and I found them to be lacking in resolution on both ends of the spectrum.
    But I 've heard and read so many good things about them so it must be one of the two, either people are deluded or there is something seriously wrong with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.