What is the Cause of My CD Burning Issues?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daniel Plainview, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man Thread Starter

Site says they are 16-bit, 44.1 kHz audio files

Regardless, I tried to burn things other than Metallica and nothing is working right now, so I don't think it's Metallica related.

2. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I agree with this. Convert the flac to wav first before using the burning software as a means to eliminate a possible variable.

3. Daniel Plainview

You know what? I just figure out that this computer is only 2 YEARS OLD. I bought it in 2016. I honestly thought it was longer, most likely because it has tortured me the whole time. I didn't get much usage out of it. Maybe I can just add RAM or something and save it.

This is the model, btw...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-i...D=1&siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-bqS2vYaiJCxomkaN1TpPYQ

If I could turn back time... I'd buy ANYTHING but this!

4. Daniel Plainview

I tried that with the CDXP program. Didn't help. I haven't tried it with the alternative software yet.

5. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Think Buddhist: this is nature's way to tell you there is much better music in the world than what you are trying to force into your listening chain.

eyeCalypso likes this.
  6. Daniel Plainview

But all music is prohibited now, not just Metallica. Life is suffering.

Can I use a flashdrive and the "ReadyBoost" feature to give my machine some added chutzpah?

7. Anachostic

Anachostic Forum Resident

Make a three minute silent WAV file and add it as the first track. Skip it whenever playing the CD. Think of it like a hidden track at the start of an album.

8. Daniel Plainview

I considered this, but I don't think I have sufficient space. Also, I'd know it was there, and I would feel dirty and wrong.

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  9. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Maybe the players you are trying to use don't like that brand of CD-R (so try other brands of blanks) or CD-Rs in general (If that is the case, a new computer wouldn't help). How flexible are you in getting different players?

Grant likes this.
  10. Ponzio

Ponzio Forum Resident

How much memory is installed? Maybe you need to investigate the memory cache too.

11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

RAM isn't going to change anything. No need to look at cache. All drives made in the last 10 years (and even older) feature buffer underrun protection.

OP, just perform that "verify" option test I asked earlier and report back. Everything else is pure speculation at best.

Ponzio and Daniel Plainview like this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

The discs don't play correctly on the computer itself, though. I think the issue lies within.

13. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I bought a lap top with Windows 10
    Despite numerous attempts including
    A separate burner it was hopeless.
    Other Windows 10 users tell me they experience similiar problems .
    I use an old Dell pc with XP

I use Exact audio Copy and Imgburn.
    Like a Rolls Royce compared to Windows 10.

14. Daniel Plainview

I still have my old Compaq in the closet. Maybe I could fire it up and use it just to burn stuff (like the leprechaun told me to).

Ponzio likes this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Too bad you aren't technically savvy. You could build your own computer that would be of much higher quality than anything you could buy from a manufacturer.

luckybaer and Daniel Plainview like this.
  16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This is the second post you've made regarding your issue with W10. Are you using old, old software and/or hardware with it?

Most people do not have any issues with W10.

luckybaer and tin ears like this.
  17. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

More like an AMC Pacer. I’ve been burning CD’s and DVD’s using EAC, Imgburn and several other programs on W10 without a hitch.

Grant likes this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

The verification failed.

"Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)"

This CD does nothing. Something was written but whatever it is it's not playable at all. Another CD in the trash.

19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

So the real issue is inaccurate writing of data. It is not the burning application, the drives, the discs, the files themselves, the burning speed, lack of RAM, and certainly not anything to do with W10 being installed, etc.

Could be a lot of different possibilities, though.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

Is it because I punched it? :wantsome:

21. Daniel Plainview

Whatever it is, I think it's getting worse and worse. Can't get anything to burn at all now. Disc drive hums like it's doing something, but spits out a useless CD. I give up. **** it. I'll hook my old computer up and use it for burning.

22. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I must try again.
    Burning calibration error.
    That's the message I keep getting.
    It's a troubled medium.
    Hopefully microsoft will sort it.

23. Daniel Plainview

Dug out the Compaq. Forgot what a piece of crap this machine was too. CD burning software not responding. Blah blah. But now I am in the middle of a burn. Wav files. If this isn't the answer I don't know what the hell is. Pray for me.

24. Daniel Plainview

Okay, so I used the compaq. The CD drive is broken on this one. This is why I have the external cd drive in the first place.

The Compaq is worse than I remembered. CDXP burner stopped responding a few times. Finally I got it moving.

First CD of wavs burned with external drive...it worked but with some static at the start. Not as bad as other attempts, but still not right.

Second attempt - unreadable by CD player after burn.

So, either both CD drives broke on the same day or the CD-Rs themselves are defective.

All I wanted was to burn some Metallica concerts and instead I broke to CD drives and wasted 2 dozen CD-Rs.

The CD burner on the Dell is definitely broken. I tried to burn a single mp3 and it just spun it's wheels. I had to control/alt/delete it just to make it stop.

I don't understand any of this. A week ago life was good. Now every machine I own wants to mess with me and ruin my life. The more I mess with this stuff the worse it gets. I go father and farther down the rabbit hole. We're through the looking glass here, people.

Converting Metallica files to (gulp) 256 mp3. Will try the Compaq again. Just wasting my time now. Desperate and confused.

25. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

How do the files sound when you play them on the computer?

Something to try: Try Ashampoo Burning Studio Free (you have to register an email to get an unlock key but it is FREE). Burn at the slowest speed. Set the 2 second gap or no gap as you wish. Set the normalize track function on or off as you wish. (Both lower right of the screen just before the next screen where it starts the burn.)
    Try burning something else as the first track. Just something to try. You don't have to convert anything with this (usually). FLAC, WAV, MP3, they can even be mixed for one disc, it figures it all out and burns an Audio CD.

Ashampoo® Burning Studio FREE

Holy Socks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.