What is the difference between REVERB and ECHO?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Pepper, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Isn't that VIBRATO?

Just foolin' ya.:D

2. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I'd have to give it a listen to really know.

While we're talking about these variations, how about the pre echo on Whole Lotta Love. That's a pretty cool trick.

3. Electric Bozo

Electric Bozo Holy Synthesist

I know that some consider vibrato & tremolo the same, but I always thought that vibrato was pitch modulation, and tremolo is amplitude modulation. Ah, hair-splitting...

4. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

According to this site, it was at Liberty: http://www.eddiecochran.info/Sessions/V.htm

Don't like the song? :shh:

5. Steve Hoffman

Not when I can play SOMETHIN' ELSE 10 times in a row. Life is good.

6. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Somethin' Else is a much better song. :agree:

But I still like Balcony. :shh:

7. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Actually I've heard both tremelo and vibrato called the same thing. Some guitars claim to have a tremelo bar though I'd call that vibrato.

To me tremelo is like what you find on a Fender amplifier and like what KevinP mentions.

8. Steve Hoffman

Leo Fender considered them separate. His tremolo amps are amazing and complicated. His vibrato amps are simple and not as satisfying (unless you feel like singing the end of CRIMSON AND CLOVER into one)..

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yeah. Vibrato is pitch fluctuations and tremolo is volume fluctuations.

10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Echo and reverb both have repercussions.

11. Dragun

Dragun Forum Resident

Were/are echo and reverb generally recorded on a separate track apart from the main vocals or were they recorded with the vocals onto the same track?

12. Steve Hoffman

That is a very good question. I assume you mean in the old days of analog? At United/Western they printed the echo right to the three-track during recording (and why not? Bill Putnam invented chamber echo for records). At Capitol (until 1961 or so) they only did to the mono, the three-track was dry as a bone.

Engineers had their way of doing it. Even in the later analog world of 16 track and 24 track recording I have rarely seen echo on a separate track. Usually it's added during mixing. Always exceptions, of course. STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND from the second Leon Russell album (Leon Russell And The Shelter People) had his delay with reverb on a separate channel). So did Creedence Clearwater Revival's BAD MOON RISING.

13. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Sometimes it is advantageous to record reverb live. I've not heard or a separate track for reverb only but of course there are no rules. Usually reverbs are added during the mix process. Often there are multiple types of reverbs used on a song. Often reverb is used for live monitoring but it is not necessarily what the final reverb will be.

Once again, therer are no real rules.

edit: Whoops, looks like I said pretty much what Steve said. :laugh:

14. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Yeah, well, everything we do does.

15. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Just curious:

How much of today's music actually uses true room reverb or echo as opposed to plug-ins or hardware (rack units).

I'll assume very little?

Also-I get the impression that the "classic" studios don't have as much cache as they did before in recording. You don't hear about a band going into "x" studio, only about the technology that was used to create the sounds.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I never understood it, but I always figured that

John on Lucy in the Sky w/Diamonds = reverb
    George on Everybody's Trying to be my Baby = echo.

Mariah on virtually all her recordings = lots and lots of echo.

17. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Member Thread Starter

To have echo on a separate track that is generated live while recording you would have to doing it electronically right? If you recorded a singer in an echo chamber you couldn't have a dry track and a track with echo, could you?

18. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Sure you could. Why couldn't you record dry on one track and put any type of echo or reverb on another track?

Not usually done, but it surely could be done.

edit: After rereading your post, I see you may have inferred putting the singer physically in the actual chamber. In that case you could not separate the echo, but once again that is not usually done.

19. Sgt. Pepper

But if the echo is coming from the room the singer is standing in, there wouldn't be any dry sound to capture, would there? Just the sound of the singer in the echo chamber

20. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yes, I edited my post after rereading yours.

The best you could do is close mic the singer who was in the chamber with a tight pattern mic. You'd still have reverb but much less than if you just stuck him in the chamber and used the normal chamber mics.

21. Sgt. Pepper

Ok, I get it now. Thanks!

22. Not many examples I can think of where a singer was physically standing in an echo chamber though.

23. Sgt. Pepper

How else would you make use of the chamber?

24. Normally, the sound from the room where the recording is taking place is sent to a speaker IN the chamber. The sound from the chamber is then picked up by another microphone and sent back to the mixing console to be fed into the (dry) mix.
    In the old days of 3 or 4 track recording it would have been necessary to mix it right on to one of the tracks along with the dry sound. Because there were no tracks to waste. I don't know why, with say, 16 track, the echo send can't just be put on a separate track.

25. Steve Hoffman

I'd read this thread from the start. You will know all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.