What Is The Longest Song Title?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rick Bartlett, Jan 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll throw in the longest I know.
    Ray Stevens - "Jeremiah Peabody’s Polyunsaturated Quick-Dissolving Fast-Acting Pleasant Tasting Green and Purple Pills".
    Any others?

Jimmy B. and Klassik like this.
  2. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Panic! at the Disco: There's a Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought of It Yet

Their first album has 11 non-instrumental songs and their titles use a total of 80 words!

Klassik and Rick Bartlett like this.
  3. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Carmichael's 1942 song "I'm a Cranky Old Yank" was listed in the 1967 edition of the Guinness Book of Records under the title "I'm a Cranky Old Yank in a Clanky Old Tank on the Streets of Yokohama with My Honolulu Mama Doin' Those Beat-o, Beat-o Flat-On-My-Seat-o, Hirohito Blues" as the longest song title. Hoagy Carmichael - Wikipedia

4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Fred Astaire and Jane Powell - "How Could You Believe Me When I Said I Love You When You Know I've Been A Liar All My Life"

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

The Longest Day - Paul Anka

6. Sunflower

Sunflower Senior Member

The Faces
    You Can Make Me Dance, Sing or Anything (Even Take the Dog for a Walk, Mend a Fuse, Fold Away the Ironing Board, or Any Other Domestic Shortcomings)

7. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

2000 Light Years From Home

8. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

Artist: The Chariot

Song title: "Someday, in the Event That Mankind Actually Figures Out What It Is That This World Revolves Around, Thousands of People are Going to Be Shocked and Perplexed to Find Out It Was Not Them. Sometimes, This Includes Me."

Album: Everything Is Alive, Everything Is Breathing, Nothing Is Dead, and Nothing Is Bleeding (2005)

Jimmy B. and Klassik like this.
  9. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

"Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict"

Vic_1957, Hammerpeg, mike126 and 9 others like this.
  10. Tullhead

Tullhead Forum Resident

Sir B. McKenzie's Daughter's Lament for the 77th Mounted Lancers Retreat from the Straits of Loch Knombe, in the Year of Our Lord 1727, on the Occasion of the Announcement of Her Marriage to the Laird of Kinleakie - Fairport Convention

11. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Christine Lavin’s “Regretting What I Said to You When You Called Me 11:00 On a Friday Morning to Tell Me that at 1:00 Friday Afternoon You’re Gonna Leave Your Office, Go Downstairs, Hail a Cab to Go Out to the Airport to Catch a Plane to Go Skiing in the Alps for Two Weeks, Not that I Wanted to Go With You, I Wasn’t Able to Leave Town, I’m Not a Very Good Skier, I Couldn’t Expect You to Pay My Way, But After Going Out With You for Three Years I DON’T Like Surprises!! A Musical Apology”.

12. Tim Albertson

Tim Albertson Forum Resident

I'm going to guess "Smiles" (because there is a mile in between each "s.") Words by J. Will Callahan, music by Lee S. Roberts, 1917. Sung here by Judy Garland...

agundy, Jimmy B., uzn007 and 5 others like this.
  13. Mummy was an asteroid, daddy was a small non stick kitchen utensil. Robert Wyatt

uzn007 likes this.
  14. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Thanks, I've just snorted coffee all over my wife's laptop reading this title...but you've still made my life better by posting it!

Klassik and danasgoodstuff like this.
  15. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

My first thought! Gotta be the winner?

Klassik likes this.
  16. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Dunno about the longest song title ever, but ambient artist Wings Of An Angel consistently uses such long titles that I often can't download the flac files as the Windows file length limit is breached.

Example:

Objectify The Love You Couldn’t Share In Our Previous Lifetime (An Ambient Funeral Doom Fairytale About Unattainable Or Unrequited Love Which Becomes In-Due-Time A Black Hole In The Protagonist's Haunted Psychic Forest)

--Geoff

Klassik likes this.
  17. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Odyssey - YWKARLTLIIWRUKYOTCASHB

[​IMG]

18. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Prince - 17 Days (The rain will come down, then U will have 2 choose. If U believe look 2 the dawn and U shall never lose.)

thekid87, Klassik and Mechanical Man like this.
  19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Sorry to be pedantic, but that's a Quiet Sun band track written by Bill MacCormic.

uzn007 and Fishoutofwater like this.
  20. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Hoagy, because it's Hoagy...love him.

funknik likes this.
  21. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

The Stars on 45 Beatles medley - for legal reasons, the official title is the title of all the songs in the medley.

22. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

23. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Kim Fowley might have the record for most words on a single:

A-side: They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha Haa!
    B-side: You Get More For Your Money, On The Flip Side Of This Record, Talking Blues

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

andrewskyDE and Rick Bartlett like this.
  24. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Here's a 16-worder from Lloyd Price in 1966 (I'm showing the label of the Dutch pressing because they added an extra "The" in there):

[​IMG]

25. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.