What is the longest time you've spent listening to music in one sitting?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nashreed, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nashreed

nashreed New Member Thread Starter

I think a lot of you here are like me- I really enjoy music the most when I can sit between the speakers and listen to an album straight from beginning to end, with no distractions. Who has time these days though? :( I'm lucky if I can get through one CD without the phone ringing (well the phone doesn't ring- but the stupid answering machine doesn't shut up until I play the message).
    My question is..What is the longest you've spent listening to music without interuption?, Be it a boxset or several albums in a row. I often find I get bored easily, and the music has to be varied- which are what compilations are good for. Box sets are hard, because I want to listen to them from start to finish, like a regular album- but I know I will probably not have enough time. Then there's the boredom factor. For example, I have the Fats Domino box set, but I would never attempt to listen to that all the way through at once, too samey. My longest time would have to be 4 1/2 hours. I was pretty proud of myself the day I listened to one box set from start to finish with no breaks at all- 4 CD's: Fleetwood Mac "The Chain". Varied enough to keep me interested, and very rewarding to listen to.
    Now I find that I can only listen to a CD or two without wanting to do something else for a little bit. Especially any new CD's from the past few years- I have to take a half hour break after a hour long CD just because of the over-amped loud modern production. It's much easier to listen to the old 80's discs for long periods of time. Do you put several discs in at one and listen to all of them? With vinyl, what would constitute uninterupted listening? I remember back in the 80's, listening to a record and trying to flip it over as quickly as possible, so as to not mess up the flow of the album. :o

Have a great weekend everyone, and let's try to listen to some music in peace! I know I'm going to try. :D

nashreed

2. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

I'd have to agree nashreed.....

3. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

One night in 1969? I spent an eternity listening to one note of The Beat Goes On by Sonny and Cher. :)

4. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

This brings up another issue: does everyone listen to an album all the way through, crappy song and all, or do you jump around and only listen to what you want?

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I once played the song "This Is It" by Kenny Loggins for 10 hours straight. Does sleep count?

Anyway, I also wish I had time to sit down in the sweet spot and listen to something from end to end for pure enjoyment. If i'm working on a project I listen to the whole thing but it's in pieces, and reptitive.

6. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

That's amazing Larry! I did the same thing listening to Moody Blues singing

OM, OM, OM :D

7. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

In all seriousness though I find that CD's have changed my listening pattern. LP's used to be listened all the way through at least one side.

But with Cd's programming, remote control, ease of handling and speed in changing discs I find that if one cut may lead to another cut on a different cd.

Overall I do not listen all the way through as often with cd than with lp.

8. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

I think the capacity of the CD and some sort of perceived value (gotta fill up that CD, more bang for the buck!) has caused way too many artists to make albums that are too darn long for single sittings. I still breath a sigh of relief when I see a CD of 10 or 11 songs that run only 3 and half minutes each (thank you Los Lobos), knowing you are going to get all killer/no filler. 12 to 14 songs at 5 and a half minutes encourages too much bloat - give me economy of songwriting and a satisfying listen for 35 to 40 minutes anyday. Marvin Gaye's What's Going On accomplishes everything it needs to accomplish in under 40 minutes and is my definition of perfection.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I agree! :)

10. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

I occaisionally stay up all night, once in a while, on the week ends listening.
    Once listened to the Muddy Water's box set straight thru a couple of times in a row. With the advent of cd's I do tend to skip weaker tracks on albums these days. My usual end to enders are DSOTM, Abbey Road, Into the Music , and Moondance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.