What is the most expensive piece of hifi equipment you have paid for?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

Well my completely refurbished Studer A810 was $3500, or my speakers which were $2500 and after upgrades and mods I have about $6K in them!!!

2. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Price is always a concern. I would go the tube route. Tubes are great beacuase of the success of my NOS tube hunt from BRENT JESSE tubes with my other equipment. I must assumme I will have to save about a grand when I buy something-MacIntosh with tubes. John M.

3. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

[​IMG]

Rebuilt and restored pair of McIntosh MC30s from Yves Beauvais... ~$2900 + ~$700 for quality vintage tubes = ~$3600. Totally worth it.
    (Photo taken before replacing tubes.)

4. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

A pair of Epos ES12 standmount speakers bought new in 1997 for £500. Double what I wanted to pay for speakers, but I made the 'mistake' of seeing them on the floor of the dem room I'd booked. Five minutes of listening was all it took for the speaker budget to go out of the window, but I've been ecstatically happy with them. Hopefully, they'll see me out. I don't think I'll ever get that lucky twice.

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and Sondek like this.
  5. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Very nice

RDriftwood likes this.
  6. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

The VPI Aries 1 that I bought used for $2200

Other than that - most of my (now departed) stereo was in the $1000 - $1500 range per component.

7. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

My CM10's. Followed by the Naim CD5 XD CD player. The amps, Linn Klout and Kairn I got second hand, and the LP12, belonged to my dad (so it holds value to me which doesn't involve money).

8. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

A bit over 5k for an amp. No regrets.

9. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

New VPI Classic Signature in rosewood. Finished paying it off last week and should hopefully be delivered in a week or so.

Rickchick and alan967tiger like this.
  10. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Amp.

But it will be new speakers... someday, maybe.

11. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

£1770 for a Michell Gyrodec turntable.

Gavinyl likes this.
  12. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

The KEF LS50 speakers I recently bought her on the forum for $850 used.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'ma total cheapskate—my most expensive gear was paid for by other people. The most I ever paid for any equipment was probably $1200 for a t.c. audio M2000 in 1996. I bought it as a reverb box for post-production, but it turned out to be a splendid DAC as well as a very good ADC.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Seven grand on my Sonus Faber speakers and two on my Koetsu, the best money I have spent on any thing.

15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

My speakers, but Tweeter was closing our local store (this was before the total bankruptcy) and I got them way under msrp.

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I had more money to spend on gear when I was in college making $7.50 an hour and only worked summers. Amazing what having someone else cover all your living expenses can do for you! Thanks dad.

Rickchick, ben_wood and nm_west like this.
  17. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

The DAC I just bought was $2500, that's the most I've spent on a single audio component.

However, I'd say the room I built, at a rough cost of $5000 just off the top of my head, with its treatments, wiring, and so forth, is the single highest "investment" I've made in audio - also the best.

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Turntable rig, around 10k with all associated hardware

19. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

My Rega Brio amp....$900 or so. My TT is probably close if you count the original purchase plus the mods (upgraded cartridge, upgraded acrylic platter, the magic white belt).

20. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

My Avalon Eidolon Visions....dealer demos at $12,000 a pair. Worth every penny.

[​IMG]

21. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Same here. Just bought a 150SE. I hope it's still burning in. I'll just say it cost less than $10,000.

22. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Most of the gear I own was bought used; however, I bought a new Audible Illusions Modulus 3A years ago for $1900. Amortized over the twenty years it has served me, it was cheap.

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My second most expensive item is the Technics SP-25 motor and Audio-Technica ATP 16-T and the plinth. With the Stanton 681 EEE-S II, it cost around $1000 new. My most expensive purchase was my Klipsch Chorus speakers (had to be special ordered, my dealer didn't carry them, and they were around $1900 new)

DaleH likes this.
  24. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

My Sony Walkman, NW-ZX2 DAP.

25. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

Nice pick up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.