What is the warmest, most bass-heavy cd player you have ever heard?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Seeker, Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm curious to know your answers here. Most budget cd players I've experimented with sound bright and wimpy compared to vinyl. Are there any that don't? I know what some of the expensive ones are that meet the criteria, but what about something affordable? A friend asked me for a recommendation and I'm stumped.

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Do you really want warm/bass-heavy or do you want accurate?

I have an older Rotel RCD-1072 that was an award-winner 10-15 years ago, and I'd say that it keeps up with my vinyl rig just fine. You should be able to find one used for $300-$500.

3. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I dont think a CD player is going to be "warm" or "bass heavy", they are largely neutral in that respect. If comparing to vinyl ,you have two completely different mediums and therein lies the differences. For what reasons, we could have a 20 page thread discussing/arguing the point...and we probably will :)

moogt3 and Rockos like this.
  4. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Rega Planet

Bananajack, fuse999 and james like this.
  5. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

It's called a turntable. :cool:

6. The Seeker

Not looking for a neutral player. Definitely want overly warm.

7. james

james Summon The Queen

full disclosure: never heard one, but that is how i've always pictured them. worth a shot?

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A good choice.

9. The Seeker

Never in my life heard a Rotel cd player that was overly warm.

10. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Another one of these threads?.. :rolleyes:

tmtomh likes this.
  11. The Seeker

Can we stay on topic, please? It's not another one of ____ threads. It's this thread. There's plenty of recycled information on this and every other forum. Keep the recommendations coming in. Thanks!

12. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Totally worth a shot, I promise you.

13. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

I had an original Rega Planet and it's successor for several years. I don't know if I would characterize it as bass heavy, but it did have more of that analog smooth sound than your typical CD player. It's the first thing that came to mind when I thought about the question.

- Buck

Bananajack and bhazen like this.
  14. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

15. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

I am biased but I like the sound of my Marantz SA8004 and feel it has a warm sound compared to other players I have experience with...I suspect the SA8005 is very similar as well as the SA8003...It is not the high end of Marantz but it is made in the same factory in Japan that makes their reference series and shares many parts with them...

RonW likes this.
  16. The Seeker

Interesting you should mention this. He just told me he found a good deal on a Marantz CD5004 and wanted to know what I thought. I have no experience with this player. Is it warm and rich or is this a bright and harsh sounding machine?

17. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

A friend at work has the CD5004 and he likes it very much. I do not believe it shares the same DAC as the SA series however. I have only heard it a few times in his office on a smaller system so I can't compare to my rig. I opted for the SA8004 because I started getting more than a couple SACD titles and wanted to hear the Hi-res layer on these titles. I prefer vinyl overall because I enjoy the whole experience of it and I grew up with LP's. I sought out a decent disc spinner for the combination of decent sound and the convenience when I don't have time for dedicated listening...

18. Technics SL-PG100

[​IMG]

RoyalScam and Shak Cohen like this.
  19. JazzVinyl

JazzVinyl Forum Resident

I had a 6 CD changer by Integra (Onkyo's premium line) that sounded way better than your average player.

20. james

james Summon The Queen

wow. pretty sure that was my college cd player. I don't remember using any of those buttons on the right.

21. triple

triple Senior Member

Warmth in digital audio is achieved by using Stillpoints ERS paper. Also, by replacing output capacitors to say Relcap TFT.

The Seeker likes this.
  22. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I recently bought a used Rega Apollo here on the forum. That coupled with a Schiit Bitfrost Uber DAC has well mastered CDs sounding as close to vinyl as I've ever heard from a CD player.

bhazen likes this.
  23. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Best to have a neutral source and then go with warm speakers.

Atmospheric, bhazen, forthlin and 3 others like this.
  24. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I don't beleive there is much difference between any CD player these days, if ever there were. It should be neutral and transparent if it is functioning normally and providing the CD is mastered properly, have better (deeper and accurate) bass than is possible on vinyl. If you want more bass than the artist intended do that through your amp's bass knob or invest in a good quality sub.

ceedee, moogt3 and L.P. like this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You need a vintage Rotel. I went down the "warm" path handing off a succession of cd players until winding up with the Rotel. That was detailed, warm and had great bass! They are winners.

Jerry likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.