What is your favorite album by THE BYRDS?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stateless, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stateless

Stateless New Member Thread Starter

I think I did a poll like this about 5 years ago, but I can't really remember. But since The Byrds first album came out 45 years ago this month, I figure, why not? And that first album would be my pick.

Mr. Tambourine Man is the Byrds most consistant album IMO. I really don't think there is a weak song on it, whereas on every other Byrds album, I can pick out at least 1 weak track. You have pretty much all the elements of what made the original lineup great here. McGuinn's fantastic 12-string playing and arranging ("Bells Of Rhymney" is one fine example"), David Crosby's majestic harmonies, and fantastic originals by Gene Clark like "I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better", "Here Without You" & "I Knew I'd Want You" And of course, the Dylan covers. "Mr. Tambourine Man" is one of the most influential singles of all time. Marrying the Beatles beat with Dylan's music was a masterstroke. It really put thought provoking lyrics on pop radio for the first time. "Chimes Of Freedom" betters the Dylan version IMO, same for "All I Really Want To Do". Two other originals stand out composed jointly by Clark/McGuinn, "You Won't Have To Cry" & "It's No Use". The Byrds were blessed with 2 great lead singers in Clark & McGuinn. Not only did they sound good singing solo, but the sounded even better when they sang in unison, balancing out each others vocal style. And when you added Crosby's harmony...Wow. I don't think there was ever a better American group vocally except maybe The Beach Boys. Chris Hillman & Michael Clarke would grow as players, but they sound just fine on the songs here....although 2 were performed instrumentally by McGuinn & The Wrecking Crew. "Eight Miles High" might be my favorite Byrds song, but Mr. Tambourine Man is definitely my pick for best album.

2. I like "Younger Than Yesterday." Gene Clark was missed, but David Crosby's work was really interesting. "Have You Seen Her Face" is a great pop song, too.

tedg65 likes this.
  3. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

The Notorious Byrd Bothers

4. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

5D WHY ? cause 8 MILES HIGH is my all time Fav(along with Why )

5. Stateless

Yes, Hillman came out of nowhere with some great material. Crosby had some good stuff too...but then there is "Mind Gardens". :shake: I always thought "My Back Pages" was their best Dylan cover since the 1st album.

6. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

Easy Rider. Untitled is the only one that comes close.

carlwm likes this.
  7. thecrokid

thecrokid Active Member

Mr.Tambourine Man....YTY is definitely a close second though.

8. Stateless

I never knew why they re-cut "Why?" for YTY. The original B-side is much stronger IMO. Why not include Crosby's "It Happens Each Day" instead? Perhaps it was written after the sessions.

They did the same thing with "Old John Robertson" on NBB, although that was a remix I believe. I prefer the original B-Side without the flanging. The flanging really destorts the tune in places on NBB.

9. 905

905 Senior Member

Ballad of Easy Rider. For a while when I was in my early twenties it was probably my favorite album period.

carlwm likes this.
  10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Have You Seen Her Face?

And some of the later ones are mostly weak tracks.

If you included "Greatest Hits" I would have voted for that. They were a singles band, after all. And the SACD of Greatest Hits is the one Byrds album I play most often.

11. Stateless

I was thinking of putting on GH because it was such a big seller, but the Byrds had so many comps, I didn't want to go there.

I do think many people think of them as a singles band who just know the hits, but they were always an album band IMO. I'd put several album tracks up there with their top singles, even from the first album.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  12. camrock

camrock Active Member

As an album, YTY.

13. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Wow. I am still the only one who voted for "Farther Along".

14. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Sweetheart.

15. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Notorious. Tough call. Could have gone with Mr. Tambourine Man, Younger Than Yesterday, Fifth Dimension, or Untitled. They're all about the same for me. In the end, I think Notorious is probably the most consistent one.

16. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Younger Than Yesterday but only by a nano hair over their debut album.

17. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

18. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Preflyte - please add it to the list so I can vote for it.

19. "Younger Than Yesterday" & "The Notorious Byrd Brothers" would be tied, and two of my favorite albums ever, so I can't vote- 'cuz I can't vote for just one. Then would be "Fifth Dimension" & "Mr. Tambourine Man", right behind that "Turn! Turn! Turn!", and just behind that "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo". Those are all of them that I'm crazy about...after that I like some of the albums, but don't love them.

20. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Fifth Dimension (1966)

21. Stateless

I thought about adding it, but I didn't think anybody would vote for it. Also, it's not really a proper Byrds album. It is really demos before they landed a recording deal. Having said that, there are some cool tracks on there that The Byrds never put out on a proper album like "You Showed Me" & "For Me Again". "The Airport Song" is a pretty cool Crosby/McGuinn tune I wish they would have revisited in 1967 or something.

22. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I more or less agree with everything you say here, but I voted for Notorious, which is more audacious and not actually uneven, since "Space Odyssey," however jarring, is IMO completely musically defensible. In truth, I like them both equally, and consider both among the greatest rock albums ever made. But Notorious needs the love.

I too wish there was an option for The Preflyte Sessions, btw - a sentimental favorite.

I'm baffled by the two votes for Dr Byrds, which to me vies with Untitled as their least satisfying album.

23. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Just listened to Sweetheart of the Rodeo over the weekend. I have the re-mastered version with the alternate Gram Parsons vocals. Very good and what I voted for.........

Fleet Fox and PhantomStranger like this.
  24. Mr. Tambourine Man but I accidently picked Turn, Turn Turn!

25. The Notorious Byrd Bothers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.