What is your most valuable LP (according to auction results)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinylfindco, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PiotrW

PiotrW Member

2. icecream1973

icecream1973 Well-Known Member

I've got a 33rpm EP called "Laminas 1" released in 1968 by a bunch of UCLA art students. It has the earliest known recording of Wild Man Fischer, before Frank Zappa recorded & released his infamous but gloriously wild double LP later that year. Discogs says $150-$460, without the sleeve.
    Mine has the A4 sized cardboard box, including a poster, and about 100 custom made poetry & art prints. Some really nice things in that box apart from that awesome 7"!

And then there's the earliest LP release by german comedian, and blatantly underrated jazz musician / multi-instrumentalist Helge Schneider, when he scored 2nd place at the IKEA jazz contest back in 1975 - he was only 20 years old! He was granted to record side two - amazing piano work and a great backing band. Apparently only 600 copies were made (although according to a recent interview with Schneider, each of the two bands received 600 copies, which would make 1200...) Anyways, it came in a flimsy paper cover, few survived and it sells for like €200-600.

stetsonic likes this.
  3. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Possibly this one:

Faust - So Far
    Original German pressing
    Discogs stats:
    • Last Sold:
      19 Apr 19
    • Lowest:
      $56.07
    • Median:
      $117.98
    • Highest:
      $246.94

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. steppednwhat

steppednwhat I hallucinate on Dr. Pepper

You've been having a rash, that keeps the girls away?

5. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

Got my copy of that one for free! (It's not in amazing condition.)

6. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

I have an original Savages Live ‘N Wild record and incredible condition. It is very rare. I bought it for $5 from an antique shop. It plays perfect too. These have sold for as high as $2500.
    The Savages (2) - Live'n Wild

RandelPink likes this.
  7. Timos

Timos Forum resident

I've got a bunch of MiniDiscs from back in the day that I don't even look at anymore.

I had them all on CD and only picked the MDs up because they were dirt cheap at Our Price, and I still used MDs so I thought, what the hell. This would've been around 2000, and I think MD had failed as a format by that point and Our Price was basically flogging them off.

Anyway, just a look at Discogs revealed that Pearl Jam's Live on Two Legs is going for £40, but that Depeche Mode's Songs Of Faith And Devotion is going for £359.00!!!!! And it's not even mint!!!!!!!!

JRose likes this.
  8. tonysp

tonysp Forum Resident

Off the top of my head the top five are :

Prince - Rainbow Children (original, not the recent reissue)
    Prince - Strange Tales From The Rain
    Prince - His Majesty's Pop Life (Japanese pressing not RSD)
    David Bowie - Lets Dance (yellow vinyl 7" Australia)
    and possibly the
    David Bowie - 5 Years vinyl box.

9. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I reckon my Mono* Electric Recording Company pressing (when I get it) of Love`s `Forever Changes` (£300 each, only 300 copies. Sold out on first day of sale.) would fetch a good price. As would the Stereo pressing which I hope to get later this year, I don`t intend to auction either as long as I`m breathing.

*I don`t intend to get into the real `Mono` discussions/arguments with regard to `Forever Changes`, I`ll just say that this album means a lot to me as others will understand or maybe not.

lemonade kid, oxegen and Man at C&A like this.
  10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

2016 :

2018 :

Abraxas is now up to $1750.00
    ABB Beacon Box Set up to $1086.95
    Let It Bleed up to $900.00

Some people have more money than common sense. :laugh:

Echoes Myron likes this.
  11. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

I understand completely as our mutual avatars contest. :edthumbs:

richierichie and Man at C&A like this.
  12. lemonade kid

Ritchie Valens only album recorded while he yet lived. Del-Fi 1959. Mine is quite minty!
    Various sources list it at around $200 NM...that was 20 years ago when I got it for $10!

eBay, where the "grading" is most always bogus (eg. NM means Fair +/–, in my experience) opens bidding at around $40 which tells me that they are in less than VG condition.

Love just taking it out and caressing it...:love:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    boggs and Man at C&A like this.
  13. lemonade kid

Rolling Stones "Hot Rocks" rare "Shelley 11-18-71" promo pressing with alt tracks vinyl. Lists at $1000 +
    and I also found that one for $10 NM...the seller had no idea, and who was I to tell...:tiphat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sethICE, RandelPink, JRose and 5 others like this.
  14. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

I've got a white vinyl of Nirvana's Bleach LP (1000 pressed) that I bought sealed for $50 about 20 years ago. Discogs says median price is $865 and high sold for $2500!

15. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Well, now as some time passed and I've extended my collection, it goes like this:
    • The highest minimum price: The Crow OST (2019 RSD)
    • The highest med price: My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (2018 reissue)
    • The highest max price: My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (2018 reissue)
    Just for information, I got The Crow at a pretty regular price from a local online vinyl store and Loveless from the official website - still not the highest price I paid for the vinyl even including shipping.

16. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

I have lots of hardcore punk vinyl (circa 1980-84) that is somehow still close to mint.

I was shocked to discover how much this stuff is now worth on the market.

For example..the first Teen Idles EP, that I purchased for $4 at Universal Records in Berkeley, is now worth $1,200.

Nuts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.