What Is Your View of Pete Townshend as a Soloist (Single Notes) on Guitar?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gersh, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident Thread Starter

While The Who is second only to The Beatles as my favorite band to emerge from the 1960's, and while I greatly admire Pete Townshend's innovative and highly skilled work as a rhythm guitarist, only rarely has he impressed me on lead (single note) guitar in live performance. I stress single notes because most here know he used chords and fills to play lead, in effect, but I am not talking about that playing. I am talking about where he goes for a straight-out solo. Either it's bad where he seems to fall off the fretboard, or competent at best. I'm good with that because soloing, in this sense again, was not his role in the band.

Of the many examples of average or poor playing in this sense, the long solo in Heaven and Hell at Leeds stands out IMO, it is clunky, and sluggish - a term he has used himself to describe his lead work. It is no better at Hull.

Nonetheless to this day when I hear live work I've never heard before, occasionally he can surprise me. On this recent upload to YT, his solo on Summertime Blues is quite astonishing I think. I am not a guitarist and I have no idea what technically knowledgeable players think of it, but it sounds great to me, all the notes in key but with ideas that are kind of way out, not following the blues scale (I think) but maybe jazz influenced.

Listen also to the solo on See Me Feel Me, the tone and playing are excellent and I don't think I ever heard him play something like this again. It's not just a two note alternation that he knew how to make effective e.g. at Woodstock, but he adds a cool bluesy finish to it that sounds great.

My theory is, he just went for it, and usually it was just okay or didn't work but sometimes it did.

Other good leads he did live IMO include the Clapton-like solo at Pontiac stadium in the slow version of My Generation (I think 1976), some of the work on Leeds in the jam of My Generation, and the live work on Love Reign O'er me at Shea in '82 (also The Quiet One in Toronto, same year). The intro and soloing to Shaking All Over at Leeds is pretty good too.

This Electric Factory (soundboard I presume) is just killer, it got the way their sound completely enveloped the hall in a way even Leeds does not.

Comments?

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    Bill, George Blair and One Louder like this.
  2. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I think he's stunning live and in the studio (he clearly works out his solos in the studio). He sometimes takes a chordal approach, which I've never really heard another player do as effectively. Solos I've loved throughout the years:

I Can't Explain
    Join Together
    I Can See For Miles
    Goin' Mobile
    You Better You Bet
    Eminence Front
    I'm Not Gonna Run Anymore
    Over The Top

3. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

The guitar solo in 'I Can See for Miles' is a single note, and Townshend sells it with sheer attitude (and the fact that it's absolutely the right choice for that particular song). Alongside an achievement like that, who cares about mere virtuosity?

Carserguev, tages, sami and 1 other person like this.
  4. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident Thread Starter

I meant more his live work. As was mentioned, he was able to work out solos in the studio.

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Awesome. I tend to think of him as underrated, although that may just be by me.

Carserguev, tages, PhoffiFozz and 3 others like this.
  6. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I've not been blown away by any extended single note soloing in Pete's playing but that is not what makes him great in the first place.

7. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I saw him/them live in a club in 1969 right after Tommy was released. I thought he was a much better lead guitar player then he was given credit for, which at the time was pretty much no credit at all.
    Just as John Lennon was a better guitar player than he's generally given credit for ( except here on the forum :D ) I think Pete could hold his own as a lead player for a guy that didn't specialize in it. I've played in many three piece bands and being the only guitar player ( or only lead intrument in general ) means quite a bit of responsibility filling all the holes and I think Pete did that well. Of course John Entwistle helped out by sort of playing lead bass at times but that's for a different thread.:D

For a guy writing most of the material, singing some of it, playing killer rhythm, adding fills and also lead guitar, all the while jumping about and kicking furiously..he did well.:p

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  8. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Aww yes, would have been better to completely read your post. Oops :)

9. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I've always thought of Pete as a Great Rhythm Guitarist, and I mean that in the best way. His solos when The Who were just guitar, bass, drums were really full sounding,very chordal as he had no rhythm guitarist behind him.
    But my feelings changed when i saw The Who for the first time, a few years ago doing Quadrophenia. His solos were outstanding, the solos were heavy on repeated riffs but he was playing great. I now think of Pete as a great guitarist. :righton:

10. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I agree about the linear, single-note solos. Townshend is one of my absolute favorite guitarists, but when I first heard Live At Leeds I thought I was listening to a Led Zeppelin show. Blues solo cliches, like what Page was inclined to do live with Zep in the early days. Since they're both capable of great solos in the studio, I have to assume they were just uncomfortable improvising on stage with the musical spotlight on the guitar. The exact opposite of a guy like Richard Thompson, who's always been a monster lead player live but tends to over-think his solos in the studio.

Having said that, I think Townshend and Page both improved as live soloists as time went on. The solos on the Young Vic recordings are pretty great.

William David Smith likes this.
  11. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Pete was a in-the-moment player, in a similar mode as Keith Richards (I'm talking about the 70's) He took huge risks which could either fall flat or succeed gloriously. I don't believe either of them does it so much anymore, but in both cases they could hit the mark in the right place and time. Is that an evaluation of skill? Not really... it's something else altogether. Transcendence.

Carserguev likes this.
  12. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I think he's a great lead player who has only become better with age - partly out of necessity, as he acknowledges regarding having to play without Entwistle there to take up all the sonic space.

Carserguev and mr. scratchy esq like this.
  13. Philo

Philo Music Maven

Pete tends not to play LONG solos, but he gets off a couple of licks on "it's hard" that are pretty awesome.

philo

14. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

I remember years ago reading an interview with Pete where he admitted that he wasn't as talented a guitarist as a Jimmy Page or Ritchie Blackmore,
    but then added (in the typical fashion of the Pete we all know and love), that they weren't his equal as songwriters.

Carserguev likes this.
  15. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Would anyone really want to hear some guy shred all over the Who catalogue? Pete's playing is fine by me and thank God he's not blowing all over everything all the time... More than enough of that to go around if that's what blows someone's hair back without slathering it all over Who's Next or Tommy or....
    I saw him saying in an interview that he was relegated to trying to play really solid rhythm guitar because Keith Moon was such a flailing drummer - he felt somebody had to hold the whole thing together.

16. Glenn Christense

Well, as always in these kind of threads it comes down to technique vs. soul. Some folks want a ton of scales and arpeggios etc., for a player to qualify as a good lead player and others may prefer three notes, played from the heart. Much of it comes down to what the listener is, um..listening for.:D

17. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

I always loved the solo for the Leeds' "Heaven and Hell". It's ragged but engaging.

dee and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  18. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Just listen to "Drowned" on The Secret Policman's Ball. Enough said.

Carserguev and His Masters Vice like this.
  19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Starting with the 2000 tour, Pete totally changed his electric guitar style. He stepped up and started playing out front lead.

Carserguev and dee like this.
  20. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Kinda off topic, but Pete is one of those guitarists who can play rhythm and lead in the same song, changing seamlessly.

21. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

In my view, Townshend is a monster lead guitarist. He was playing amazing stuff as far back as the My Generation album. He had strong fingers, played great rhythms and leads. He is a guitarist, a composer and a showman in equal measures. Again, my opinion.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

he ain't a great lead player...great strummer.

23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I bet Pete would find this thread amusing.

24. Glenn Christense

Nice performance, great playing. The only problem is..unless I missed something, there is virtually no single note soloing in evidence here.:D

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  25. tdgrnwld

tdgrnwld Forum Resident

What about tons of scales and arpeggios played from the heart?

Mister Charlie and MoonPool like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.