What makes up the Roobarb and Custard theme?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Indigo Lines, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indigo Lines

Indigo Lines Forum Resident Thread Starter

For a seventies cartoon tune, this is DAMNED heavy. But I've got a hunch it isn't guitar, especially in the first 7 seconds. Is it brass being used?

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  2. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

It's apparently electric guitar,

Roobarb and Custard review: Britain’s answer to Top Cat

Though to my ears it sounds like when I put my keyboard through a distortion pedal. The notes are a bit clipped and exact for guitar. Not impossible, just... My two cents. Got a bit of a distorted wah sound to it, though.

3. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Ahhh Roobarb and Custard and the Steve Hoffman Forums... together at last! :laugh:

Sounds Moogish to me. Whatever it is it was one crazy kids' TV theme. Loved Richard Briers' voice too.

ciderglider, October Man and ToneLa like this.
  4. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

A guy at work was tapping out the rhythm on his desk... He was impressed I named the song immediately!

It's so distinctive, seemed obvious to me!

willy likes this.
  5. October Man

October Man I am the October Man, I dream of many things

Ive been known to say "Oh no! Not another one" in Custards nasally voice more than once or twice :)

willy likes this.
  6. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

Might be the same synth type thing as son of my father

7. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

I just ran my Moog into a fuzz pedal and played that bass intro on it. With some tweaking & eq it sounded virtually identical to the original. So imho it's most likely a fuzzed-out synth line, not a guitar.

Catchy little tune. Never heard it before, but now I can't get that bass intro out of my head!

8. El Marco

El Marco New Member

Many yeats ago I came across a pedal called a Funny Cat by Roland. Pretty basic in some respects and not very useful but it did have an overdrive section that could replicate that guitar sound exactly. Gigging in the 1980's if anything went wrong, like a string break or the singer falling over (a frequent occurrence) I'd play the riff...
    Sounded great with a Led Paul :) the other guitarist hated that riff with a passion. Never found out why.

Indigo Lines likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.