What movies freaked you out as a child?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RickH, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Mostly 50s sci-fi. Watching these on TV as a kid in the 60s made me sleep with the light on:

The Blob
    Invaders From Mars
    Night of the Living Dead
    Earth vs. the Flying Saucers
    Attack of the Crab Monsters

Crab Monsters may be a low-budget Roger Corman affair, but the idea that giant crabs could eat your brain and then use your own voice to communicate with other humans is still profoundly disturbing to me.

2. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Funhouse freaked me out too! When that girl is stuck in the air duct and her dad is right outside but he cant hear her calling over the fan!

:eek:

3. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Oh and I think it was a Twilight Zone movie or something....where these kids are trapped on a dock in the middle of a lake and theres this strange oozy thing in the water. Couldnt sleep for weeks after that one!

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Plus, how about some of those early-70s made-for-tv movies that aired when I was still an impressionable young teen:

Trilogy of Terror
    Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
    Crowhaven Farm
    Gargoyles

5. zabble

zabble Forum Resident

Night of the Living Dead. Very claustrophobic movie.

And such a tragic ending.

6. oldcuster

oldcuster Senior Member

Absolutely! :eek:

That one got under my skin so much, part 3 would probably still freak me out.

7. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

Yes, Invaders From Mars....
    And ...ON THE BEACH..the original, I think '57.
    Left me cold....

8. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

and, of couse, the Day the Earth Stood Still....

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The Excorcist, where she spins her head. I still can't watch it.

10. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

I remember being freaked out as a kid by the transformation scene in "The Nutty Professor"!

11. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

One night while watching a weekly "scare 'em silly" type show on Canadian TV, a freakish little movie called "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things" came on...try as I might, I've never forgotten it!

12. Dobby

Dobby Member

Raiders of the Lost Ark - I remember hiding my eyes in the theatre and peeking through my fingers.

13. I was a kid during Freddie Crougar movies ... and the Jason movies etc, so I was no stranger to horror flicks

that being said, the ONLY film i have EVER lost sleep over was

The Changeling - actually filmed in my home town :D but WAY before my time :D

[​IMG]

14. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

:agree:

[​IMG]

Also Race with the Devil from the same year. I was 10 when I saw both of them, and they definitely freaked me out.

There was also some weird 'mysterious happenings' type movie that I remember seeing at the theatre. I remember some scene with these rocks rolling across a valley. Paranormal type stuff that can get you when you're young and gullible. While I would laugh at it today, it did get to me as a kid. The other 2 I mentioned are still good scary movies.

15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Trilogy of Teror - in addition to the storyline, the production of that TV movie is very unsettling. I can't really describe it, but it was almost like you were really watching Karen Black's apartment as she tried to get that little guy!

16. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Check out the DVD for the scene where she spider-walks down the stairs!

17. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

That's the part I found the creepiest in the Excorcist. What was different about the scene on DVD?

18. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

I can't remember much of anything about "Invaders From Mars", but wonder if you're thinking of "I Married A Monster From Outer Space" -- Alien masquerading as human is killed, slumps over a desk, his sleeved hand disappears, and applesauce pours out of the empty sleeve.

Creeped and grossed little me big time, although the older kids laughed at it.

19. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

As a child, definitely The Birds. I guess I must have been 3 or 4 when I saw it. When, at the end of the movie, the radio newsman says something about bird sightings in the "vicinity of Santa Rosa" (which I knew wasn't that far from us) I freaked. I demanded that my parents close the flue on the fireplace and check all the windows.

Dale

20. Eric B

Eric B Forum Resident

Burnt Offerings totally freaked me out as a kid...that part where the undertaker comes into the house...ESHHHH! :eek:

21. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Humanoids From the Deep (1980)
    I've never seen it again, but its a Roger Corman film. I actually think its a comedy.

22. GregY

GregY New Member

That was actually Creepshow 2.

The intro to the TZ movie is another one that's pretty scary for kids.

23. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

It wasn't in the original release of the movie, I didn't see that scene until a couple of years ago when I bought the DVD for the expanded version.

Still, most of the scary stuff even in the Exorcist is the anticipation and the unknown, the slow build-up to the gruesome climax. A true horror movie.

24. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

*****************************************************************************************
    You're right Skip,
    It was that one, I must have had a senior moment...lol
    That movie did creep me out. My wife loves all those old 50's horror/sci-fi movies.
    I should have asked her first. Those were the days. :)

25. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Well, Jaws did that's for sure. I was 5 or 6 when my parents took me and I could barely use the toilet or take a bath after that, much less hop in the swimming pool at night! :eek: They were so strict about what we watched when I was a kid, so I can't think of why on earth they'd take us to Jaws.

And also, I'll confess, the disaster schlock classic Airport '77 freaked my young brain out. I couldn't sleep for nights, had falling nightmares from then on.

And now at age 36 I'm suffer crippling fear of heights. But I can take baths and swim, thankfully.

dan c

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.