What old album have you recently listened to for the first time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stephen J, Apr 23, 2017.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Fallen Angels.
    Easy coast (D.C.) legend: equivalent of West Coast's LoVE.

It's A Long Way Down 1968. Wonderful psych rock...enjoy...those who haven't had the pleasure.

[​IMG]

The Fallen Angels were an American psychedelic rock band formed in Washington D.C., in 1966. Spearheaded by the group's lead vocalist andbassist, Jack Bryant, the band released two albums in their recording career, which was marked by lyrical and instrumental experimentation. Despite never breaking through on a national scale, the Fallen Angels were popular in the American music underground, and their music has been revived over the years.
    The band originated from a folk rock group known as the Disciples, which formed in 1965 when Wally Cook (rhythm guitar, harmonica), who previously worked in local band the Young Rabbits, came together with Jack Bryant (bass guitar, vocals) and Charlie Jones (lead guitar, vocals). Within a few months, the band became known as the Uncalled, followed by a name change to the Fallen Angels, and multiple personnel shifts that concluded with a solidified lineup consisting of Bryant, Cook, Howard Danchik (keyboards), Richard Kumer (drums) and Jack Lauritsen (rhythm guitar).[1] The band quickly established themselves on the American music underground with their stage theatrics enriched by the group's political satire, and their ability to incorporate folk music, jazz, and psychedelia into their own cohesive sound. Much of the Fallen Angels' material was penned by Bryant with a close similarity to the Mothers of Invention...
    The Fallen Angels (band) - Wikipedia

rene smalldridge likes this.
  2. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

Van Morrison- Tupelo Honey

3. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

F.J. McMahon- Spirit of the Golden Juice

notesofachord likes this.
  4. chodad

chodad Hodad

Listened to Ragged Glory yesterday for the first time in many moons and it really hit the spot ... though I always loved it, it sounded very special. Can't believe it's 28 years old.

Slice and sjaca like this.
  5. Reis

Reis Forum Resident

6. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

GONE TROPPO by George Harrison.
    Better than I had remembered, though it runs out of steam, but 5 of the first 6 songs (all except Greece) are very good.
    I've heard it called George's worst album, but it is better than DARK HORSE, EXTRA TEXTURE, and SOMEWHERE IN ENGLAND.

Guy E and julotto like this.
  7. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Oriental Wind
    Okay Temiz lead group debut lp which i was just reading about in Daniel Spicer's Anadolu Psych where I've also been reading about Erkin Koray, Selda, Cem Karaca, Mogollar, Baris manco, Bunalim and 3 hur El mosto f whom I've listened to through Spotify and been impressed.

The Real Kids earlier incarnation as the Kids who are more punky and have recently had the 1974 demoes which are about the only recorded evidence of . Great stuff

8. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

It's a bit different to her later stuff and seems to have been less successfully cloned for her 2nd lp.
    The other lps in the Original Albums series box are all pretty good.
    I really like Quiet Fire from 1971 which is earthier and more r&b/funk than jazz meets folk.
    BUt First Take is brilliant, has a great take of Leonard Cohen's That's No Way To Say Goodbye with a breakbeat and a luscious take on Ewan Macoll's First Time Ever I saw Your Face among other great stuff.

sjaca and Mogens like this.
  9. Satellite Sky

Satellite Sky Forum Resident

Rusty Kershaw - Cajun in the Blues Country
    Rally impressed with this one. A lot of genre-crossing fun, but also pretty sad in its way. If you haven’t heard it, you should!

Neil Young - On the Beach
    I’m not really a Neil Young fan - his voice grates me. But even so, this album is special and I certainly can’t deny its quality.

10. Doc Young

Doc Young Forum Resident

The Steve Miller Band Number 5 .

fairies and notesofachord like this.
  11. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Me too for Neil Young - On the Beach, much better than I thought it'd be.

12. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

A lot of Warren Zevon albums. Just discovered this genius.

forthlin and Tom34772 like this.
  13. JoseUnidos

JoseUnidos Forum Resident

All Things Must Pass - picked up a vinyl copy in a thrift store some 30-ish years ago, finally listened to all 3 discs back-to-back-to-back for the first time a few weeks ago. Should've done it sooner.

Scope J, forthlin and notesofachord like this.
  14. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies

Great, great album. I was familiar with some of his/their singles but never owned any of the albums until recently.

15. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Mountain - Climbing

Scope J likes this.
  16. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

The Blue Murder album by John Sykes:

[​IMG]

Anyone who likes the 1987 Whitesnake album will love this as it's basically the follow up and could easily be considered Whitesnake 1989.

Sean, Slice and Jailbreak like this.
  17. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Chicago III vinyl (1971), the oddest of the first three Chicago (double) albums should be on your music purchase list.

hifisoup and OptimisticGoat like this.
  18. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

Astral Weeks by some guy, I think from Ireland. Kidding, it’s by Van Morrison. I’d never heard much I liked by Van the Man, aside from “Brown Eyed Girl,” which is very catchy. Mostly I associate him with PBS pledge drives designed to appeal to baby boomers. So despite having been told innumerable times that AW is a special album, I’d never listened to it. But it had been featured on several podcasts recently because of a book that’s just out about its history and Van’s time in Boston. And I loved what I heard, so I asked my local dealer to order a copy for me; and it is just magical. Love it. Would definitely stop by to tune his guitar on my way to kill Hitler if I had a time machine though.

Reis and rene smalldridge like this.
  19. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Always loved the first two but somehow this one never clicked, finally gave up trying.

20. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Chicago III is not the most accessible Chicago album music-wise!

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  21. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

Kim Carnes Rest On Me (1971)

I read elsewhere on this forum Carnes had disowned it. It was remastered a few years ago by a German label so I picked it up on CD. After seeing that comment, I finally got round to sitting down and listening to it properly recently. Best tracks are the opener "It Takes Time", the up tempo country twanged "To Love" and the obligatory cover of the Bee Gees' "To Love Somebody". This was prior to her major label signing and a full 10 years before she's hit # 1 with "Bette Davis Eyes". Here is the original vinyl release artwork:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Stephen J likes this.
  22. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

TV Slim - Going To California
    Original Vinyl Copy On P-Vine Records (Japan)
    Fab !

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Jim Croce's debut album Facets, locally and independently released in 1966.

24. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

The Monkees and More of the Monkees

[​IMG] [​IMG]

25. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Mott - Drive On. Good album........considering it was without Ian Hunter.

[​IMG]

phillyal1 likes this.