What phono pre-amp should I get?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jamollo, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

Well, we were talking about phono preamps, but assuming you're referring to the Monoprice integrated amp you mentioned in the OP, I think it's clearly sold as a hybrid, and people realize the tubes are mostly for looks. The amp is all solid state and the tubes are used in the preamp circuit. My comment about one tube was in regard to phono preamps, and because of the equalization and large gain, it is usually done with three or four tubes per channel. But a lot of the small signal tubes have two sections, so you could make a very simple phono preamp with just one tube per channel, which is why I said "probably" in my post above. But it's much easier to use a low noise opamp on the input to handle the small signal from the cartridge. It wasn't really intended as a value judgement, there are plenty of great designers who pick the best part for each section of the circuit without regard for what others may think, sometimes that may be solid state, and sometimes a tube. It's all good if it works well and sounds good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.