What powercords do you use? Stock, middle budget aftermarket, best you can afford?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ElizabethH, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Mods, thread ban. Thanks.

Tullman, Jim13, Dave and 1 other person like this.
  2. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

Im not a dink, i repair hifi and television for a living, Just use a power conditioner unit.

3. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Woops, sorry. I am not advocating anarchy.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Not on a Sunday.

5. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

What is a dink?

6. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I use a power conditioning unit, yet different cords between it and components give different results.

Regarding the OP's original question, I aim for reasonable cost, usually less than a few hundred dollars, and buy used when possible. I find the changes cord impart often more difficult to discern, so I worry less about it.

John K.

7. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Stock. Have been curious about if power cords and conditioners would be worth looking at.

8. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Wireworld and Signal for me, I'm happy with them.

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  9. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Unfortunately, they do make a difference. Yet another rabbit hole to contend with...........

10. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I have a dedicated 20a circuit for my gear. What difference do you think they make?

The FRiNgE likes this.
  11. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I run Isotek Premium EVO's to my amp and cd player. Got em both for the price of one.
    Haven't done any critical listening by swaping them with the stock ones. With casual listening so far, no real 'ah-aaa' moments.

Regards

12. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

13. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I think that makes a difference. Just 5 amps drawn on a 20 amp circuit can cause a voltage drop, but not consequential to performance at that point. However I do question 10 amps, such as a 350 watt per channel amp would draw, maybe higher peaks, which could cause audible sponginess. I wouldn't be listening at that level for very long anyway, just me personally.

Having a light dim slightly with a vacuum cleaner running doesn't matter much, and minimal calculated inefficiency of the vacuum cleaner, (all within safe limits of the typical branch circuit) but audio does matter.

You'd be surprised how the length of branch circuits cause a voltage drop under load, any more than 25 feet (about 6 meters) we will have a voltage drop under medium to heavy load. Most runs are 50 to 75 feet or more, and also feed thru outlets.

A dedicated 20 amp circuit IMO, will do more for your gear than any exotic power cable would.
    For 350 watts per channel or more, I'd say go with 30 amps/ 10 gauge. Go with the next gauge up for longer runs greater than 50 feet.

The 16 gauge power cord on a high power amp is just fine, because it is short! We need larger gauges for long runs.
    For Euro 220v mains we can halve the amperage requirement.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    PhantomStranger, 2veg and missan like this.
  14. Jim13

Jim13 Forum Resident

I never believed in power cords.

I run a Lampizator dac , audio note amp and trenner & friedl speakers, it never sounded to my ears as good as it should have, I had isotek cords, I tried some absolute transmission cables , and to say I was blown away is an understatement.

My system sounds unbelievable now.

Don't discount what good power cords do, I did for years , and was very wrong, I don't post much ,but had to on the subject.

If you spend a lot of money on your system, do your self a favour and find out what they do, I don't think I need to upgrade anything now, so happy , and I didn't know the price of them either, no placebo.

15. missan

missan Forum Resident

Here the mains is 240v, so the power cord requirement is low, 18awg is fine normally. What is still good is of course to have a dedicated line for audio. I think it´s good concentrating on things that matter.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  16. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

7 separate lines with 7 amp20
    Marohei power cord
    Cardas power cord
    Wire world power cord
    Furutech power cord
    For digital I use also power conditioner Clean Streem2

pdxway likes this.
  17. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I would say less noise, allowing one to hear more of the signal unmasked.

Having a dedicated circuit as you have done really makes a big difference. I think the differences that power cords & conditioners make can be more subtle, and depend on the condition of the grid in your area plus environmental RFI & EMI. My home shares the outside transformer with two other homes. That's not an ideal set up.

Some components seem more sensitive to power cord changes than others. I think this depends on the quality of their power supply. In my own system, preamps tended to show the differences between power cords more readily than power amps.

For power conditioners I use a Chang Lightspeed, as it filters without limiting current and cost less than other power conditioners using similar methods.

Having a modest income, I truly wish that I could not hear the differences, but I can. I try to find value, and avoid those who wish to make a killing instead of a living.

18. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I'm not much of a believer in boutique cables, but I give the benefit of the doubt that a beefier cable on the power amp could make a difference with spikes and surges. I made a DIY power cord for my 300-watt NAD, plugged into a hospital-grade duplex outlet in my listening room. I used 12AWG Coleman Royal SJOOW cable, and basic Wattgate plugs (total cost, under $50), and constructed it as short as possible.

Douglas Connection DIY Cables and connectors for Audio and Home Theater

19. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

:laugh:

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You know, a pud.

The FRiNgE and pdxway like this.
  22. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

Have your wife swap them a few times while you are out of the room ... see if you are still blown away.

Robert C and H8SLKC like this.
  23. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

I dont know about americas safety policy but here in England we use fuses in our mains plugs, so it makes no difference how much you spend on a power cable, the current gets squeezed through a fuse for safety before being sent to the amps transformer, chances are there will be another current limiting mains fuse in the amplifier itself to protect it from overload which consists of a thin filament of wire, equipment only draws the power it needs. Every piece of equipment has a cable rating for power safety, adding more cable wont do a thing. But a power smoothing circuit will. For good sound quality i would be more concerned about replacing low quality capacitors inside the amplifier to proper nichicon audio grade, here you will get the most benefit.

24. timind

timind phorum rezident

I thought this was only commonly used in northern New England.

25. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I never thought power cables could make a difference until I paid many hundreds for.....oh who am I kidding? Power cables? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

Robert C, basie-fan, POE_UK and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.