What Records Would You Grab During A Fire?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marc Perman, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

That would only indicate that you don't know enough about guns to judge.

There are many guns that put the most desireable guitars to shame for their material, craftsmanship and artistry alone. Take a gander at some handmade Belgian or Italian shotguns sometime.

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

I live in NorCal, so this is not academic for me. I started thinking about it after the Sonoma and Napa fires.

I'm going to set aside a crate (holds maybe 25 records) and fill it ... My sealed banned cover Appetite for Destruction, my RL Zep II, stuff like that. Rare or highly sentimental records. I'll mark the box, "In case of fire, grab this."

Once I make sure my wife, cat, and valuables (passport, etc., which are already in a box) are loaded, I'll grab the crate and my Mac Mini music server. (All of this assumes we've got at least a few minutes to evacuate.)

Brian Lux likes this.
  3. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Since you mentioned 100 LPs I'll go with:

26 Dinosaur Jr/ Mascis related LPs
    12 Albert Ayler
    6 Analogue Productions Beach Boys
    7 Carlton Melton/ Zen Guerilla
    20 Eno/ Fripp
    20 Replacements/ Westerberg related
    9 Neil Young records (the most difficult/expensive to replace).
    = 100

Then I will sit down and remember the ones I wish I had grabbed like some of the other early ESP disk (e.g. Marion Brown!) Ohhh nooooo!

4. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow I’m an hour away, I hope you and your home are OK.

5. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident Thread Starter

And I’ll do a similar crate here in SoCal, in case of fire, not to mention flood or earthquake. Having another member post a few hours ago that he had to evacuate was sobering.

6. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

I wouldn't grab any I'm afraid. I'd have my hands full carrying my instruments.

Guitarded and melstapler like this.
  7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

If I had the time to grab anything it would not be my records. Rather some photos and perhaps art I own.

Brian Lux likes this.
  8. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Yeah, I agree, prioritize what is saved! I guess I assumed this was more about- after you save all the important stuff, which records would you grab.

So yes, for me it would be people and animals first, then important documents, then my laptop, then guitars, then paintings and photographs and then, hopefully enough time left to grab some important books and records.

They say in an emergency like a fire or flood most people tend to forget their priorities, thus it's a good idea to keep an emergency evacuation list on the refrigerator listed by most to least important.

9. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

My REM wooden box with all the vinyl and fan club stuff, which includes the "Out of Time" promotional wooden box set of that CD.

Sean and Audioresearch like this.
  10. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

I have My hundred favorite cd's in one small Back I hope I can reach for it

John Adam likes this.
  11. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

This reminds me to upload all my invoices to a cloud-based folder and to take pictures of my collection...
    Just to ensure i have proof when my insurance asks me for it !

12. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

My Genesis LPs, the Kate Bush stuff, probably the 2007 Special Edition of Young Americans and for personal reasons: Chicago Transit Authority - no escape without my dose of Jazz Fusion :laugh:

13. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

I'd through gas on the fire and start playing my albums until....

14. Django

Django Forum Resident

Fire Brigade by the Move

15. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

100 meter sprint. :targettiphat:

16. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

On second thought......I would be out looking for that Arson guy. He seems to be the one that starts most of these fires.

17. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

My Beatles complete original 45s and my Monkees complete Colgems 45s definitely. If I can go back before the fire gets too hot will grab my Beatles and Queen vinyl box sets

Deano6 likes this.
  18. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

The Moody Blues Days of Future Passed LP

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm surprised people are prioritising records that are common unless they have sentimental value.

I don't want to contemplate it. The stuff of nightmares. I'd probably throw as many as I could out of the window in their cases and hope most of them survive.

20. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Nobody has said yet so here goes "My birth records".

AidanB likes this.
  21. radiomd2000

radiomd2000 Forum Resident

Had to think about this exact question on the morning of October 9. The Tubbs fire ultimately got no closer than 800 yards away, so we were very fortunate, but we were among the many residents who evacuated that morning. We began to prepare ourselves for that at about 2am. At 4am, when flames moving toward us became easily visible on a not-too-distant ridge, we got out. We were away for about 10 days, the first 5 because of the Tubbs fire and the second 5 because of the Nuns fire.

You'd think that two hours would be enough to make well-considered decisions. Under the circumstances, it wasn't. Somehow I even failed to pack a change of clothes. Here's what I did: conferred with the neighbors about the conditions that should and — and ultimately would — trigger our departure (there were no mandatory evacuation orders immediately, so we were all acting on our own volition), talked with my wife about the family stuff we should take, woke up our son and got him to begin the process for himself, moved important papers, pictures, photo albums, and other things into the car as my wife packed them, went around to check on the neighbors' progress, rounded up the dog and the cats and their food, rounded up the cats again after they got out of their carrier the first time, went around a second time to check on the neighbors, and grabbed a toothbrush and other small stuff. All the while I was monitoring emergency radio for information about whether any of our potential evacuation routes might be closed. This was all going on without normal lighting, of course, as the power had gone out even before we started packing.

I remember considering the question a couple of times of non-essential stuff that I might want to bring, such as the hard drive that contains most of my music collection, but the moment came when it was clear we had to leave before I had worked it out and taken action on it. I just consigned them all to chance and drove away.

So perhaps this thread will be a useful exercise. Figure it out now so that in the event you only have to execute.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Marc Perman and AidanB like this.
  22. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

I would grab my WLPs of My Spanish Heart and Tales from Topographic Oceans, my 1st UK press of Tarkus, the rest of my Yes collection, my Beatles albums, my gold vinyl pressing of The Grand Illusion, and that’ll probably keep me satisfied until I replace everything else.

23. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

This is absolutely what we learned also from the fires, that we were totally unprepared for evacuation. Working on locating our important docs in one box close to the front door, another box with photos, and then pulling OOP music items into another, to have everything staged so you don't have to think, just grab, load and go.

24. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

i used to often think about this scenario.
    whereas now my answer now is none.
    i would just grab my NAS drive and run.
    i know this is not a cool answer, but its the truth.
    i would grab my NAS drive before anything else.
    it has 86% of my music collection on it, and thats worth a lot more than one piece of plastic to me.

m.e xx

25. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I'd leave my vinyl and grab by Thorens TD-124 turntable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.