What`s your favourite band/singer best of?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richierichie, Feb 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey Forum Resident

10cc Greatest Hits 1972-1978 = all 12 UK hits in that period, and all of the UK top 40 hits they ever had. No filler. No duds. No useless live tracks. A greatest hits compilation that lives up to its title.

theMess, JulesDassin and Jarleboy like this.
  2. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Beatles - 1967-1970
    Neil Young - Decade
    Traffic - Smiling Phases
    Motörhead - No Remorse

3. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full. Thread Starter

I used to have best of`s of The Four Tops & The Temptations which vanished in the mists of time. I do have Motown Chart Busters Vol. 1-10, not on vinyl unfortunately, great label compilations.

4. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

The Essential Sly and the Family Stone is a perfect collection. Before it came out, I loved the Greatest Hits album. I do like Sly's albums, but having his greatest tracks all together really works well.

Adam9 likes this.
  5. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Described by Dave Marsh in the 1979 Rolling Stone Record Guide as "one of the finest rock-and-roll collections ever assembled", and I couldn't agree more. The early Rolling Stones of 1963-65 are terrific, and while I like the first five albums individually (the U.S. versions, which include the singles), I think "Big Hits" covers the best material perfectly. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes rock-and-roll, R&B, or blues music.

Adam9 and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  6. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

One can argue this is a 'Best of'

The Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady

PaulJay and Adam9 like this.
  7. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

This one was my favorite, back in the day:

[​IMG]

8. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

9. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

[​IMG] Although no best of is perfect, this contains all original recordings by Merle in his prime vocals. Due to legal issues for years on CD you could only get sub par rerecordings by Merle. This is the CD that made me buy the Down Every Road box set and a few other original recording Haggard discs.

10. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

B.B. King, "Best of B.B. King", from 1973--the one with the light blue cover, and a portrait of B.B. King in the middle of it that doesn't really look like him. It's not career-spanning, covering only his recording career on ABC Records in the late '60s and early '70s, but that's a fantastic stretch. I think it's a great underexploited resource for people who like blues-influenced rock music because it's clear to me that B.B. King was serious about engaging rock music at the time, and the records have rock influences and rock musicians all over them. The individual records from that period are great (especially "Indianola Mississippi Seeds" and "B.B. King in London") but the compilation is compact and covers a lot of material well. It's out of print, but it looks like the budget CD "Why I Sing the Blues" (which I haven't heard) covers a lot of the same material.

I have a compilation that covers the early hits called "The Original Sweet Sixteen", on the Kent label, that I really like, too.

11. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I like that, too--an overview that could be listened to in one reasonably short listen, one that you don't have to plan around to hear in full. (Like the two I posted above above, the Rolling Stones' "Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)", and B.B. King's 1973 "Best of B.B. King".) I seem to really like ones that cover a relatively short (but fruitful) period of an artist's career and pick out the best parts.

Chemguy likes this.
  12. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

The Original Singles Collection, although technically a box set due to a third disc, is around the same price and still in print. The additional material spread out on 3 CDs is well worth it.

gorangers likes this.
  13. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

Yes, I'm a big fan of Nelson's entire career, particularly those New Wave years.

richierichie and DJ LX like this.
  14. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Skeletons from the Closet is a nice one.
    Gord's Gold.
    Cat Stevens Greatest Hits.

15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I was going to say The Best Of The Animals until I saw someone had posted the Kink Kronikles. I have to go with The Kinks.

16. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

'Wouldn't You Miss Me' by Syd Barrett. There's not a thing I would change. All relevant tracks from his two solo albums (avoiding the more painful ones), the best tracks from rarities collection 'Opel', a track from his Peel Sessions EP and even the previously unheard 'Bob Dylan Blues'. A perfect compilation.

Also highly entertaining is Robert Wyatt's 'Going Back a Bit' double CD on Virgin. The sheer musical diversity still baffles me.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  17. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

This was also in a recent thread on the worst compilations!

18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

19. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

In terms of sheer bang for the buck, my #1 choice is this here beautiful monster:

[​IMG]

32 stupendous tracks for about $7.00 used (incl. shipping).

20. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

21. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

22. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full. Thread Starter

This thread which I started is costing me a fortune! :D :tsk:

23. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

David Bowie - ChangesOneBowie
    America - History
    The Beach Boys - 20 Golden Greats
    Jim Croce - Time in a Bottle
    Bread - Sound of Bread
    Elvis Costello - The Best of EC & The Attractions (1985)
    CSN&Y - So Far

24. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I didn't see that. Not sure what's not to like -- I love it! Nice Ron Wood artwork too!

But here's one that I also love that I'm reasonably sure did not make the worst compilation thread:
    [​IMG]

strummer101 likes this.
  25. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

This one takes you through Nomadness, on 2 disks.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.