What sports telecasts are still on your want list?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

For me, I would love to find the following:

1974 AFC Playoff Miami at Oakland
    1976 AFC Playoff New England at Oakland
    Super Bowl 2
    1974 ABA Finals Game 5 Utah at New York
    1975 NHL Preliminary Round Game 3 Islanders at Rangers
    1975 NHL Quarterfinals Game 7 Islanders at Penguins

The 70s may be pre-VHS and Betamax only came around in mid-1975 but Umatic was around from 1971 and reel-to-reel before that so it is possible that someone recorded these games and saved them somewhere.

2. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Super Bowl II. We found the tape copy of I, now let's find the tape copy of II.

3. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Walter Payton's 275 yard run game against the Vikings

SOONERFAN likes this.
  4. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Any Joe Barry Carroll, George McGinnis, or Eric Money game where they have a good game, among other things

5. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

1971 Stanley Cup playoffs Boston vs Montreal . I think a Boston TV station may have them. Also game 7 final Montreal vs Chicago when Henri Richard scored tying and game winning goals after arguments with coach Al MacNeil several days earlier. None were included on 10 game DVD of great Canadiens game released

6. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Even though my team lost, I'd love to see one or more of the 1973 NL playoff games (Reds vs Mets). Otherwise, regular season football games circa 1967-69. And we'll never see it because it simply does not exist, but wouldn't watching Chamberlain's 100-point game be amazing?

musicfan37 likes this.
  7. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

AFC Playoff Miami Dolphins at Kansas City Chiefs December 25,1971.

fr in sc, dirwuf and Suncola like this.
  8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Back when Borders had their big Going Out Of Business sales, I bought the DVD collection of the entire '75 World Series with the Reds vs Red Sox. Glad I have that. It was good to watch it again. I was only 8 years old during that WS and I remember my mom letting me stay up late to watch them all (Went to one in person, though. Still have ticket stub.)

What about the last few minutes of the Heidi game?

fr in sc likes this.
  9. misterjones

That was billed as a Cincinnati Reds Collector's Edition, which always bugged me because it included three Reds losses. A better collection for Reds fans also would have included 1976 and 1990 World Series games. But since I have the 1976 and 1990 World Series on bootleg DVDs, I'm not complaining too loudly.

Regarding the "Heidi Game", here's the final three minutes. If this exists, I'm not sure why the whole game does not.

I always thought the ending of the game was a bit overrated. When I heard stories of the game when I was younger, the implication was that the fumble recovery touchdown was necessary for a Raiders victory. It was not. The relatively uneventful touchdown pass put the Raiders in front. The only thing the fumble recovery did was prevent the possibility of Jets comeback. There certainly was no miracle finish.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Old Super Bowl halftime shows

Old performances of The National Anthem at sporting events

Rose Bowl (Old)

Orange Bowl (Old)

Old victory parades

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

This was the first thing to occur to me

I know it wasn't telecast, but was there not any local TV news coverage?

12. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Old

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. misterjones

Old enough for you?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  14. misterjones

There's radio of at least the fourth quarter, but nothing else as far as I know.

15. James Slattery

Would have to be a home recording as NBC wiped the tapes. Thanks NBC.

fr in sc likes this.
  16. James Slattery

My worst sports memory, along with the immaculate deception game. The full game doesn't exist but I have portions of it including a good chunk of the 3rd period.

17. James Slattery

Rumor has it, unconfirmed, that a kinescope of it may exist in the NFL Films archive.

Vahan likes this.
  18. Commander Lucius Emery

The game was played at Hershey PA so I doubt if any Philadelphia tv station sent a crew to get any footage.

19. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I knew it was in Hershey. I perused the Wiki page for the game, it said not a single member of the NY press was there (Knicks were the opponents). You'd think the Philly TV stations would want to get some film of their superstar in action.

I admit I wasn't too clear on exactly where Hershey is; as it happens it's about 15 miles from Harrisburg, which presumably had at least one TV station in 1962. They didn't cover it either?

20. MikaelaArsenault

Yes.

21. MikaelaArsenault

:agree:

22. misterjones

Here's Wilt in the 1962 All-Star Game. Not the game in question, but you a sense of what he must have been like in that historic game.

23. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

I don't collect the recordings myself, but a few years ago I caught a rebroadcast of a World Series Game in Oakland I had gone to as a kid. It was fun to watch, but after awhile, they announced that the last tape of the broadcast was lost, so they played filmed highlights of the last few innings. I can't remember off the top of my head which game it was, but it might have been 1973 Game 2, which also included the last base hit by Willie Mays. I'd like them to find that last reel.

Suncola likes this.
  24. Commander Lucius Emery

A couple interesting things about the Philadelphia Warriors that year. They got sold at the end of the season and moved to San Francisco. The Syracuse Nationals moved to Philadelphia and became the 76ers. It was the third time the Warriors played a home game in Hershey and one of 14 (!) out of 80 games they played on a neutral court. Alright, one of those was playing the Chicago Packers (Washington Wizards) at East Chicago but there are dates such as playing the Los Angeles Lakers in Boston. I assume they had a number of double headers (4 teams) to try to draw fans away from the more established college fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.