What vintage receiver do you have/want?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Nov 23, 2014.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

That gyro-tuning can be addictive! :righton::evil:

2. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

hmmm....this is embarrassing. Made in Taiwan... Still a great receiver (HK 330c).

3. coopmv

The build quality of gears made in Taiwan is generally not bad compared with you-know-what ...

4. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Yes but I think this one is silver on top. At any rate he wanted $1400 for it.

5. coopmv

Believe it or not, this may be the typical asking price on eBay. These monster receivers from the likes of Marantz and Sansui are worth some big bucks ...

6. coopmv

Here is the best receiver NAD has ever made IMO ...

[​IMG]

lj905, Bananas&blow and John Woo like this.
  7. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

I tend to cycle through vintage receivers on a regular basis for my home office rig. I've had Marantz, Harmon/Kardon, Kenwood, Technics, Pioneer, Realistic, NAD, Carver, Revox, Sansui and the list goes on. I buy them on a deal and if I like them I keep them for a while and a few have even gone into my "keep" pile lol.

My favourte so far is a NAD 7155 (1985) receiver. I like it so much I actually sprang to have it serviced. It's now my primary receiver for my secondary system and I'll rotate receivers into that system but I still end up going back to NAD every time .... so far ;)

[​IMG]

8. coopmv

NAD used to make very good gears through early 2000 until it outsourced all manufacturing to you-know-where. That was when I stopped buying anything NAD ...

The 7155 is supposed to have a decent tuner. Any good radio stations in Halifax?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  9. BlackStrat_Fan

My wife had this receiver when we got married. I sold it in a yard sale, and she was not too pleased about it - especially when I needed a new receiver later on. So I actually found one locally and bought it. I used it for years until I picked up the HK 330.

GroovyGuy likes this.
  10. coopmv

The build quality of NAD gears today is no match with what it made 30 years ago and we all know the reasons ...

John Woo and GroovyGuy like this.
  11. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

This is true when I compare my 30+ year old 7155 to my new NAD T-787. The only reason I bought yjr 787 is that it does sound nice and I got it for a rediculous deal. There's no way I'd pay full price for it. In fact, I'm working a deal to sell it for slighly more than I paid for it and move into something else for that rig

12. coopmv

To keep up with the digital age while keeping your vintage receiver, all you need is to get a quality outboard DAC to do all the necessary decoding. This is pretty much my plan. To get a piece of audio gear with good build quality these days will require a mid to high 4-figure budget ...

GroovyGuy likes this.
  13. coopmv

Vintage Heath AR-1650 - quite a complicated kit ...

[​IMG]

mrz80, John Woo and JohnO like this.
  14. coopmv

Vintage Sansui G-9700 receiver ...

[​IMG]

BigGame and GroovyGuy like this.
  15. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I have a Marantz 2220b. I paid $89 for it. It needed a protection circuit fixed and I had all LED lighting and new vellum installed. The repairs cost $400 but I am happy with it and plan to keep it.

16. coopmv

Vintage Harman Kardon hk670 receiver ...

[​IMG]

17. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

Wow, I've never seen one of these before....

[​IMG]

18. coopmv

Here is a better photo ...

[​IMG]

Have you run into a good offer on this receiver?

19. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

I'd never seen the black face.
    Theres a "regular" 4440 like above on my CL for $900
    Others quads..
    4240 - $795
    4230 - $400
    4270 - $550

20. coopmv

Many of these quad receivers have scopes. I still have a Pioneer QX-747 in storage ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  21. MATT0404

MATT0404 Forum Resident

I've always wanted to hear one of these. Supposed to be the amp section from the MA6200 and the Mr75 tuner all in one convenient package. Prices have been steadily on the rise.

fortherecord and mrz80 like this.
  22. Marcev

Marcev Sit back, Relax, and Enjoy the Music

A Marantz 2225, circa 1976... Took a lot of effort to get it to look like this, (why did so many Marantz buyers in the 70's have to be smokers??). Absolutely great sounding...

[​IMG]
    from my upload at HiFi Engine

23. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident

24. BlackStrat_Fan

I picked up a 2220, and spent the good part of a Saturday cleaning it out. My hands and office smelled like an old Vegas hotel room. I still get a whiff when using it.

MisterNines likes this.
  25. Marcev

Marcev Sit back, Relax, and Enjoy the Music

Yea, that smells about right. ;)
    Its weird how I've come full circle with this hobby. As a kid, I subscribed to Stereo Review, would anxiously wait for the Tech Hifi catalogs to arrive and would read it till it fell apart. I Started with a low end Realistic receiver, graduating to a JVC, a Pioneer then full stop. I jumped to convenience with a minidisk, MP3, iPod, Sonos and here I am back to the beginning. Best experience I've had in awhile just sitting down and listening, good to be back...

Slimwhit33 and Sugar Man like this.