What vintage receiver do you have/want?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Nov 23, 2014.

1. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I currently have a Hitachi HTA-3000 from the mid-1980's. It's functioning as a pre-amp for my turntable. Only 20 watts per channel, but it still works.

I wish I had a Pioneer SX-1500TD like I grew up with. My father bought it when I was a toddler. I fell in love with a lot of music listening to that receiver. There are several functions that receiver had that I could use today.

2. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I've got this old Bush valve radio receiver, it sounds lovely but the stations are dwindling...

[​IMG]

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Is this the receiver?

[​IMG]

dlokazip likes this.
  4. coopmv

I hear you. A super tuner is no longer the selling point for a receiver given the rapidly dwindling radio stations, both AM and FM ...

The Killer likes this.
  5. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

That's the one.

6. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I want a Marantz 2500, just because.
    Frankly it would be a big step down from what I own at this point but good gosh it is pretty much a show stopper with that darn scope blinking at you.

Bananas&blow, gorangers and billnunan like this.
  7. coopmv

Why not going for the Marantz 2600?

[​IMG]

8. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

I've been wanting a nice, clean MAC 4100 for a while. I think somewhere in this thread I mentioned that I've lost 2 or 3 bids for one in the last year. Good luck on the search. :)

9. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I didn't want to show off.
    Anyway for a modest little bedroom system 250 watts RMS (X2) is probably enough although perhaps you are right and I should have a 2600 instead.
    I could use the extra 50 watts to keep my coffee warm if nothing else.
    I think I'll just go out today and see what brand new receivers will perform at a much higher rate than these old junky units.
    Because as everybody knows NEW is all ways better than OLD---right?
    I was the state manager for a hifi chain back in 78-79 and the Technics SA1000 used to actually frighten me a bit.
    Frankly the Sansui line was better than any of the Marantz or Technics stuff.
    I had a TU-X1 tuner and a Yagi on a rotor and while living in Clearwater Fl I routinely listened to a hot FM rock station on the other side of the state in Daytona Beach.
    But the Marantz units were the prettiest IMHO.

Bananas&blow and gorangers like this.
  10. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

I have a JVC JR-s401 receiver that I've been using for the last three years and I still love the sound it produces.
    I wouldn't mind getting a JVC JR-s501 sometime...if I came across a great deal. But until that happens I'll just sit back and enjoy the music.

11. Isolar801

Isolar801 Forum Resident

I wish I had my Luxman R 117.....Pure Stereo Bliss !

I dont know how many of you feel this way, but when I run my modern Pioneer surround receiver in stereo mode , I just feel it's still messing with the sound somehow....

gorangers likes this.
  12. coopmv

I would think the Luxman R-1050 is a much better receiver ...

[​IMG]

Rockinrob, BeaTleBob5 and BigGame like this.
  13. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Luxman 1070 and 1120 are better than the 50. I have an R117 in pristine condition with Double Boxes to boot....and I don't think its as good as the 1970's TOTL Luxmans. Don't get what all the Hype is about on that model. I think its cause people that have them never heard the Pre-Alpine Luxman sound. The Clarity and Detail of those 1970's Luxmans is superior to anything Ive heard from that Era. I hear stuff on recordings that Ive never heard on songs/albums Ive heard hundreds of times before. Hard Rock/Metal wont work as its too congested but Singer/Songwriter stuff...or quieter rock/pop is heaven.

ggergm likes this.
  14. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

The Luxman R-1050 (later the R-1055) and the R-1070 were essentially the same receiver, with the R-1070's amplifier section tweaked to get more power. The R-1120 was a horse of a different color (it morphed into the R-1120A). That was a beast. It was the only receiver I knew which drove the Dahlquist DQ-10 to a reasonable level. Other Japanese mass merchandised receivers, even ones with a lot higher power rating than the 120 wpc of the R-1120, couldn't drive a DQ-1o worth squat.

I agree with you completely, Billion$Baby. These were all great sounding receivers. :righton:

Billion$Baby likes this.
  15. coopmv

The R-1050 is an analog receiver while the R-117 has the digital readouts and a vast array of LED's, which are visually more appealing to many folks ...

Billion$Baby likes this.
  16. coopmv

This Luxman R-1500 receiver looks very similar to the Harman Kardon receiver from the same era, circa mid 70's ...

[​IMG]

BeaTleBob5 and gorangers like this.
  17. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

In fairness to the 50 I heard...the 70 I purchased from Fred Hamre up in Canada was completely restored...not just re-capped...so it obviously wasn't a fair fight to begin with.

18. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I use a Sansui 4000 in a spare bedroom. It powers AR4X's stacked on KLH 6's. The amp section of the Sansui is killer.
    It's my second favorite receiver behind my Fisher 500b.
    I have a Sansui 800 that sounds great too. Similar to the 4000, but less powerful.

Bruno Primas likes this.
  19. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

The cool factor on that Marantz is off the charts. A friend of mine had one in his dorm back in the day. I used to drool over it...lol. The only Marantz receiver I own is a lil guy...2216b. I added led lamps...it looks and sounds great.

20. DisobedientPeasant

DisobedientPeasant Active Member

Hello, New member here

Not just an amp but Something I’ve been trying to track down. Nothing super exciting. Just for sentimental reasons. Unable to post pics until I pass my Steve Hoffman orientation ;)

It was a Fisher stereo system made in the 1980’s with glass cabinet with a flip top, CA-287 amp, MT-750 linear table, ST-843A floor speakers, dual cassette deck, tuner & equalizer

It was my Dads when I was a kid. I was about 8 or 9 years old. I remember going with him when he bought it at an old furniture store that’s long been out of business. He paid like almost 3 grand for the whole system and a huge Fisher wooden console TV with folding shutter type door. I thought he was a millionaire at the time haha. We were so excited. They delivered it to the house and we set it all up. It was the coolest thing I’d ever seen. And the speakers were beasts. They were so loud. We played that thing every day for weeks. Tapes, records blasting Classic Rock- Boston, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Joe Walsh, Genesis, Seger etc..My first music memories and the reason I’m on this website telling this story today.

He ended up losing it in a storage shed about 15 years later. He was an OTR truck driver, got laid over in California for 3 weeks and didn’t get the monthly rent paid on time and lost everything in it. I was devastated. Luckily the records and tapes were at his house and he passed them on to me 5 years ago

I’ve been on a mission to find that stereo ever since

billnunan and chrischerm like this.
  21. DisobedientPeasant

DisobedientPeasant Active Member

Uploaded the image URL
    Here’s a replica model of the Fisher

[​IMG]

BeaTleBob5 and billnunan like this.
  22. coopmv

Come to think of it, Sanyo bought out Fisher in the late 70's or early 80's and perhaps earlier. This rack system really was sold by Sanyo and had nothing to do with Fisher ...

23. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

I have an Advent 300 from the seventies I use as a backup. Everything still works and it has a great phono stage. Great little amp.

ggergm likes this.
  24. Pioneer sx980
    Pioneer sx780
    Pioneer sx680
    I love their sound, especially the 980
    Plus I love the looks.
    Also have an sa7500II but it's not a reciever.

25. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

dredging up some old memory traces...

there was a Fischer that was renowned for its SQ

the Advent 300 was designed by someone famous IIRC, not sure who...