What vintage receiver do you have/want?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Nov 23, 2014.

1. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've got a Pioneer SX-780. Not a real collectible, but I didn't pay much for it, either.

Daedalus likes this.
  2. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

My money woes have prevented me from getting all the toys I'd like to own, but I've come across 3 fairly inexpensive '70s era Sony receivers. One of them (STR-6055) was the first piece of audio gear I ever bought with my own money (lawn mowing) so I bought it as much for nostalgia as anything. But the darn thing sounds so good that I picked up a STR-6065 when I had a chance.....more power and even more fun. A couple weeks ago, I found a late '70s STR-6800SD. Sony really was competing with Marantz back then and these things are SO much fun to have around, but I'd trade them all for a Marantz 2270 or 2275. However, the prices for the Marantz gear is getting insane lately so I might continue enjoying my 3 old Sonys for a while longer.

Wes H likes this.
  3. russk

russk Forum Resident

Nice my Fisher 500c is at Craig's right now. Can I ask what you had done? Can't wait to get it back. I have a NOS pair of Sylvania Triple Mica 5751 to go in the tone spot.

4. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

2 Pioneer SX-780s. One in use and one as a backup.

5. Play Dead

Play Dead Forum Resident

When I first go into Hi Fi in the late 70's....Luxman, Yamaha, Onkyo and Tandberg made receivers that my friends owned and were quite nice sounding. Never knew anyone who owned a Marantz, but I always admired their gear. I think Luxman would be my choice. I once owned a Luxman integrated amplifier that I sold to a friend of mine. He had it repaired once but can no longer get it serviced. Apparently one of the IC's it used is now obsolete. Great sounding piece of gear.

6. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

I guess vintage would be older equipment out of manufacture

7. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

i guess those sx-780's are popular! thats 4 on this page alone (including mine). im using mine in my bedroom for a 2ch vinyl setup.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

These days, that means every receiver >18 months old.

9. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Pioneer SX-1980 (fully restored) in my main system. Pioneer SX-980 (fully restored w/LED light conversion) in the office. Pioneer SX-1250 (New main caps but awaiting full restoration)...this is a spare unit but will likely drive the main system once restored. It just always seemed to sound a bit warmer than the SX-1980. It had a restoration since I have owned it but that was 15 years ago and there are much better caps for audio than were available at that time. This unit will get LED lighting as well. Lastly, an Onkyo TX-440 in the garage. This is not restored but all functions work and it actually has a really nice sound. Onkyo made good equipment back then....

I once had an Hitachi SR-2004 (Absolutely gorgeous receiver. Flagship 200w ch. unit) and foolishly sold it and a pair Altec Model 8's for $375.00 when I was hard up for cash. :cry:

10. I obtained a refurbished McIntosh MA 5100 for about half of eBay's average cost.
    And I need no other...

11. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Well my 1st set(2x) new bulbs turned up today, and she's lit up now, only come in sets of 2 SOoo gonna have to order another set, but least I'll have a spare..hell might pick up 1 more set after this ..will have a full set of spare bulbs then.. Happy Days!!

[​IMG]

OldSoul, chrischerm, avbuff and 3 others like this.
  12. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

My Pioneer SX-535 is still going strong. Had it refurbished some time ago by Ring Audio in Toronto. Works like a champ.

13. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

Fisher 800C, Pioneer SX 1250

14. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

The vintage receiver I use is a Pioneer SX-838. ...Pretty Blue Lights...

JakeMcD and CrazyCatz like this.
  15. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

I just added the wood case, breaks up all the black and matches my speakers...

[​IMG]

16. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

Really nice. But does it get enough ventillation in there?

CrazyCatz likes this.
  17. peelaaa

peelaaa Forum Resident

Tandberg TR2035 but not used that much

18. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

the opening is smaller than the inside of the shelf...it has 3 to 4 inches above plus an open back

warp2600 likes this.
  19. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I've got this hard-wired remote control quad unit!

[​IMG]

20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I'd like to have my Marantz 2325 back. :cheers:

gss and CrazyCatz like this.
  21. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Got one!:cheers:

gss and CrazyCatz like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that is one dedicated remote! LOL...

Gang-Twanger and CrazyCatz like this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

what do they go for these days and how many watts per channel?

CrazyCatz likes this.
  24. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Gotta love it.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  25. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Always loved the style of the Yamaha gear... Enjoy.