what was the 1st CD manufactured in USA?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chewy, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. :righton:

2. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

3. Very nice.

4. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

Great thread guys. I love to read such a historic info.

Back to the point. I've read somewhere that first CD manufactured in the US was made by LaserVideo (later became DMI) in 1975! Of course first commercial disc made in US was done by SONY DADC as Keith mention.

[​IMG]

"Living Eyes" was one of the first discs presented in British TV show. Some of the classical titles were also made before the first official ABBA's CD releases.

5. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I had heard that one was the first one with DDD in the code......

6. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

It was. I think the Scorpions also recorded and mixed their 1984 album digitally. But, the historical value is probably the fact that it sold 1 million CD copies.

And as far as DDA or DAA, seems like Ry Cooder's "Bop Till You Drop" wins as the first pop album recorded digitally.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

DADC in the U.S. got up and running with a head of steam in '85. I'm pretty sure that all Japanese CBS/Sony pressings made for the U.S. market preceded the U.S. pressings.

8. KeithH

Interestingly, the matrix code on the "red" disc is nothing special. I am referring to the 21A7 part. It's never been clear to me how CBS/Sony in Japan or DADC in the U.S. determined the end group of matrix code characters, but in general, it seems that 11 or 11A1 would be the earliest groupings, and something like 21A7 would come later. However, there is nothing to say that every titles exists as a 11 or 11A1 and was issued later as a 21A7.

Given that the red Springsteen disc is a 21A7, then 21A7 must be the earliest U.S. matrix code for Born in the U.S.A.. Since the disc was pressed in late '84, I'm surprised that the disc isn't a 11 or 11A1. 21A7 suggests a later pressing, but I guess not in this case.

EDIT: I have a Japan-for-U.S. pressing of Born in the U.S.A. with matrix code is "DIDP-20095 11A1". I guess DADC would sequence their matrix codes to be later than the ones used in Japan. The Japanese stamper was made earlier, so it should have an earlier matrix code.

9. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

A compact disc in 1975, wow!

10. KeithH

As another point concerning Born in the U.S.A., I have a sealed early black-text U.S. DADC pressing (in the blister pack) with the same matrix code as the above red-text disc.

11. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

This sounds like a bitter unsatisfied collector to me. Any number counts in my book and it would be even more rewarding if it was something I wanted and I actually had it.

12. KeithH

I don't care how few red-text Springsteen discs were made, but I want it. Given it's rarity, I may never own it, but that doesn't lessen its significance or its place among collectable CDs as far as I am concerned. I have to acknowledge it, though I may never own it.

13. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

threadcrap? I read somewhere that the first promo single on CD was this

Attached Files:

14. KeithH

I don't consider it a threadcrap. A threadcrap would be, "Who gives a crap what the first CD made in the U.S. was? CDs suck." Your question isn't exactly related to the subject at hand, but it's close. It's worthy of discussion.

Anyway, it is my understanding that the first promotional CD singles issued in the U.S. were The Police "Don't Stand So Close To Me '86" and a .38 Special single, both released by A&M in 1986. More on the Police single can be found here:

http://www.keithhirsch.com/an-early-us-cd-single-the-police-dont-stand-so-close-to-me-86

Regardless, that Bon Jovi single must be an early one.

15. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

According to Today in History from the Associated Press: On Aug. 17, 1982, the first commercially produced compact discs, a recording of ABBA's "The Visitors," were pressed at a Philips factory near Hanover, West Germany.

16. KeithH

That has come up in other threads, though I don't recall seeing the specific date before. This would be the West German pressing with the orange paint coating. There is a picture from '82 of members of ABBA with a rep. from Polygram holding the orange-coated Visitors CD.

17. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Wow, today is a birthday, of sorts. :cheers:

18. KeithH

I'd love see that CD from '75. The CD format was under development for several years before the commercial launch in 1982, and I'd love to see what some of the prototype discs and players looked like. Were the prototype discs 5" in diameter? I wonder if they made larger ones that looked like laserdiscs.

The first CD pressed by the LaserVideo plant when they opened for commercial production was Alabama's The Touch in 1986. Here is that disc:

[​IMG]

19. georgecostanza

georgecostanza Active Member

Was The Piano by Herbie Hancock not released on CD before the CD "standard "was set ?

20. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

Very nice and cool looking sample CD, Keith. I've seen a post on your website couple a days ago. 1986 was best year for Laser Video on the market. The later years wasn't that good.

21. KeithH

Not that I am aware of.

22. KeithH

Thanks. I don't think LaserVideo lasted too long.

23. button

button Senior Member

This page is very interesting:

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/philips_press_first_philips_cd_prototype_1978/

[​IMG]

Dan Steele and Echo like this.
  24. KeithH

25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Well, this may stir up some interest in early Archiv CDs. Pretty cool. I can't tell which title it is?

[​IMG]

Think we could track down one of these early CD prototypes?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.