what was the 1st CD manufactured in USA?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chewy, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The earliest Promo CD singles in my collection, go back to mid to late 1987. A couple that come to mind are Yes 'Love Will Find A Way', and Elton John 'Candle In The Wind' (Live from Australia).

2. chewy

chewy Forum Resident Thread Starter

i got a billy joel- the nylon curtain,

is 11A11, higher, or lower than 11A1?

i found 11A11. is that the true 1st?

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

11A1 would have come first.

4. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

5. chewy

chewy Forum Resident Thread Starter

is 11A11 like 11AELEVEN?

6. button

button Senior Member

I have a 1A1 Japan-for-Europe pressing with the "crude font".

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Here's my red disc. Also, here's an early BITUSA CD sleeve. In 1984, a Columbia Records rep gave me this sleeve, saying "This is how the new digital discs will be packaged" (this was before the jewel box was adopted). They weren't.

Attached Files:

8. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

Larry, this is great. Never have seen such an early packaging. According to Philips research website the jewel case has developed shortly after Compact Disc "was virtually completed in 1981". Your copy must come from this early period when the work on jewel case has started. Amazing!

9. KeithH

Yes.

10. KeithH

Very interesting. We've discussed in another thread that the "red" Springsteen disc was also issued in a jewel case. A special sticker was placed on the front denoting it as the first disc produced by DADC (or something to that effect, as The Edison CD Sampler was made at the same time).

11. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

It wasn't - no copies are known about other than the ones encased in plastic. And there is some doubt about whether they would play The Visitors if you cracked them open.

The issue without the barcode contained the standard Red CD. It is worth noting that there were other issues without the barcode made for Polar Music for export to other European markets. They can be distinguished by the Polar Music logo (rather than a Polydor one) on the back cover. For some reason, Polar's CD releases didn't have barcodes until the 1990s.

12. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

I've seen this releases very rarely on the eBay auction, however, it wasn't cheap at all. I'd say $200 or something, if memory tells me a true. So, even though contains the same RED disc inside, this is a rare disc and it still has a value for collectors. I'd say the releases without a bar code on the back were definitely the first batches. In my opinion, the disc with bar code comes up a bit later.

Discussed Springsteen disc must appear later than one owned by Larry. Or perhaps Larry's disc wasn't ever on sale. Perhaps it's only a prototype. Very interesting issue.

13. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

Thanks for sharing those pictures. I've been searching for a red BITUSA for quite a few years - so far with no luck. I did manage to pick up the Edison sampler a few years ago on ebay and its one of my most prized CD's.

14. KeithH

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

If there is a matrix code on the disc encased in plastic, it could give an idea as to what is encoded on that disc.

15. KeithH

I am only aware of one pressing of the red Springsteen disc, as it was a very limited issue. My guess is that some discs were distributed with the paper sleeve that Larry has and others from the same press run were distributed in jewel cases.

The jewel case is shown along with the red disc in post #27 of this thread. I noted in post #33 that this red disc has the same matrix code as an early black-text DADC pressing in my collection. My guess is that the red disc and first conventional black-text discs were pressed close together.

16. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

Keith, you might be correct. I would say that 11A stands for Sony plant in Japan, then 21A stands for Sony DADC plant in Terre Haute. There was only two Sony plants back in the 1984 and respectively 11 means that disc was pressed in Japan (where the first Sony's plant was located), on another hand, 21 means that disc was pressed in US. Just thought.

17. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Sorry to confuse the issue here. The red disc & the cardboard sleeve are totally unrelated. They were gotten from the same source, but years apart. The red disc was never for sale & was just given to me loose, no stickered jewel case.

18. KeithH

Thanks for the clarification. I wish I had a source like yours. :)

19. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Interesting info here. I love threads like this.

20. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

From my own site: http://abbaoncd.wordpress.com/european-cds/prototypes-1982/

"The data side’s matrix number is 400 029-2, which corresponds with the early classical release, the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra’s version of Tchaikovsky’s Symphonie Nr. 6"

21. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

If they used the same system for this CD as they did with mastering #2 of Born To Run, here is the known sequence (From that other thread)
    50021 21
    50021 21A1
    50021 21A2
    50021 21A3
    50021 21A4
    50021 21A5
    50021 21A6
    50021 21A7
    50021 31A1
    50021 31A4
    50021 31A7
    The red numbers are the numbers that haven't been found by forum members yet.
    It could well be that the batch runs of "Born In The USA" prior to 21A7 were extremely small batches but could still be out there.

22. mjmatrixfreak

mjmatrixfreak Forum Resident

I have the same "Edison CD Sampler" but to commemorate the opening of DADC Austria in July,29,1987

Matrix - DADA 1 91 +++++

23. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

According to this promotional video, the first Compact Disc in the U.S. was made in 1983 by Disc Manufacturing Inc. (LaserVideo Inc.)

SecondHandNews likes this.
  24. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Was the "red book" even developed by 1975?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.