What was your first ever Live Concert?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gilliam, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Jefferson Airplane, Detroit Cobo Hall, 1972.

I was 12.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  2. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I have a really lousy recording of that one.

canadian73 likes this.
  3. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

:laugh:

4. zen

zen Senior Member

Now that you mention it, it was a great sounding show. I caught them at the Kaiser Pavilion in Oakland a month later.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The Monkees with Weird Al opening (1987). It was awesome!

6. martini

martini Forum Resident

Wow, Wild Man Fischer. He is one of my all-time favorites. With his mental instability, I'm sure it was a brief set, but likely very memorable. I wish I could have seen him back in his prime, playing the Sunset Strip for a dime.

Let's Merry-Go-Round! Boop-boop-boop! :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  7. chuckieh

chuckieh Forum Resident

Jimi Hendrix - Dorton Arena, Raleigh NC. 4-11-69. I was 16. Here's a youtube video about a poster from the show.

misko and Licorice pizza like this.
  8. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

The Who August 1976. Loud as hell! Ears rang for days on end!

Tex_Writer, misko and Licorice pizza like this.
  9. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Asia! Spectrum 1982! It was all downhill from there!

10. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Elvis Presley 2-12-1977. I was 13.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  11. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

John Mellencamp - Thanksgiving of 1987, Madison Square Garden, I was 15.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Funny - I saw Mellencamp the prior night! Or was it the Tuesday before Thanksgiving - yeah, I think it was Tuesday, not Wednesday...

13. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Def Leppard - Hysteria Tour

14. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

El Chicano, around 1971. They were riding high on the hit Viva Tirado. An older friend snuck me in. It was my first exposure to weed (the auditorium reeked of it) at the tender age of 10.

15. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

I saw this tour when they played Charlotte. It was in the pro basketball/hockey arena, which was (in)famous for its' lousy acoustics. I remember thinking the bass was going to pound a hole right through my chest. When I got in my car to go to work the next morning, the stereo was about four times louder than I usually kept it, so I guess I was having a little trouble hearing on the ride home from the show.

16. To be honest I'm not entirely sure? I 'think' it was Joe Cocker 1977.

17. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

The Kingsman who sang 'Louie Louie'.

Saw them when they were young men, maybe teenagers, playing in the record section of Zaire department store in south Chicago. It was back in 1964.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    djdomato likes this.
  18. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

I saw this tour when they played Charlotte. It was in the pro basketball/hockey arena, which was (in)famous for its' lousy acoustics. I remember thinking the bass was going to pound a hole right through my chest. When I got in my car to go to work the next morning, the stereo was about four times louder than I usually kept it, so I guess I was having a little trouble hearing on the ride home from the show.

Sounds very similar to my experience at the Pink Floyd show I went to at Yankees Stadium in 1994, when my seat was in the 10th row slightly to the left, in front of the left tower,
    where every pluck of the bass guitar and kick of the bass drum hit me like water from a fire hose. That experience was painful, physically (literally!) as well as aurally. I had to
    go out to 2nd base to remedy the problem and was able to get a better grasp of Floyd's surround sound system as well. Seeing the Keith Emerson Band in '04 near my house in
    NJ was painful, where the sound people were so tone deaf they couldn't realize that the bass was pushing you out the door as it drowned out Emerson's Hammand organ and the
    lead singer's vocals... Sucks how you pay good money to see a show and the only thing you hear and feel is the bass and that's it...

The Pinhead likes this.
  19. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

When was it?
    Who did you see?
    Who did you go with?
    Was it pleasant or unpleasant?

:winkgrin:

rickg likes this.
  20. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

Jan 1980
    The Clash
    My mates
    Very pleasant

21. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Jefferson Airplane 1969 on a school trip! Capital Theater. Great show but loud as hell.

Tex_Writer and rickg like this.
  22. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

actually the beatles at ac convention center. i was 12 or 13. my neighbors mom got us tickets and took us. stood outside their hotel during the day and waited for a sighting.
    i heard the opening notes of their first song and from that point it was sheer noise and screaming but the energy was amazing.
    saw their limo drive out the tunnel at the center at the end

teebo911, mooseman, misko and 3 others like this.
  23. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Jane's Addiction in '91.
    Went with my Dad because my "cool" friend's mother wouldn't let her go for fear that someone would slip her drugs.
    It was OK. Seats were not very good. My Dad said that Perry Farrell was a "pretty wild dude".
    Oh yeah, I remember Henry Rollins was the opening act and him saying how uncool it was to die from drugs and how much cooler it would be to walk into a bank with a bomb strapped to yourself and blow yourself up. And the crowd cheered wildly. Oh, those innocent, pre-terrorism days when Rock was still an act of rebellion. (even if you were with your Dad).

24. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

U2 Zoo TV tour, 1993. Aged 11 and went with my mum (bless!) I actually found a bootleg of it a few years back, terrible quality but quite cool nonetheless.

As much as still have a big nostalgic soft spot for Achtung Baby, I've seen many bands I like much, much more since then. But in terms of spectacle it's obviously been very much downhill from there. For a while I probably thought that was what all shows were going to be like!

JeffMo likes this.
  25. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

Madonna - April 12, 1985. The 2nd show of her first tour, April 10, 12 & 13 at the Paramount Theater in Seattle.
    Opening act: The Beastie Boys.
    Being my first concert, I was overwhelmed by the crowds, stage lighting, and sound. I came from a very small town so the whole experience of a concert in the city was very memorable.

SITKOL'76 and davers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.