What's a record that you know exists but you've never been able to find?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Crowley, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

While I was able to get the Record Store Day version of the Y Kant Tori Read CD, I would still like an original CD.

2. Selteab

Selteab Free-hand sketcher and dancer of the hokey-pokey.

Yeah, I know dude: it’s a dream; just go with me on this-my dream. I pull out the records and I find a mono, it’s a top loader and labelled as a stereo LP (like it says on the back).

I’ve got the mono reissue, and I’ve had it on CD for years, but I’m still waiting for my déjà vu moment to come true...and it will, dang it. That vintage 1968 mono will be mine: mwu ha ha.

ODShowtime, aarsonbet and crispi like this.
  3. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Over the years, there have been a few titles that were lent to friends in good faith and subsequently have disappeared into a black hole of regret... I put out APB's, notified the proper authorities, etc., but these escapees from my library have remained elusive.

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be" indeed... :)

4. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

There is a copy of this at my local shop and every time I go in I almost buy it, but its in maybe VG condition and the cover is taped together so I talk myself out of it.

For myself, an original Stark Reality Discovers Hoagy Carmichael's Music Shop would be nice. Or maybe Lyman Woodard Organization. Or the first Cymande record.

arem likes this.
  5. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Far too many to list, mainly promotional records for DJ's only for video game soundtracks (Ghost In The Shell for the Playstation 1, Front Mission Alternative, Parasite Eve, etc.), Studio Ghibli soundtracks on LP (mainly Grave of the Fireflies Kiki's Delivery Service), and far too many obscure metal/punk releases.

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Aren't all the sealed copies RL's? Schrödinger's cat :)

hamicle, bekayne, Mugrug12 and 9 others like this.
  7. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

Yeah the whole King thing is interesting. I’m still wondering if a particular Larry Fotine disc with a catalogue number allocated in Ruppli was pressed up in miniscule numbers or even at all. I’ve found all the other sides Fotine recorded there on either 45, “Shellac” 78 or “Vinyl” 78 (I use quotes because heaven only knows what Syd Nathan was actually putting in the presses), but this one disc only seems to exist in the pages of Ruppli.

Or perhaps I need to buy a plane ticket and go record hunting in Cincinatti ;)

8. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Any of the Beatles 78's from India.

9. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

10. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Paris 1919 by John Cale

vivalapsych likes this.
  11. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

I gave this a thought and it seems pretty much everything I've ever wanted in the past 30+ years of "record collecting" I've either managed to buy or could've bought but didn't want to because the price was ridiculously high. In the last couple of years I've mostly acquired the rest of what's been on my wantlist. I mean, there are a couple of loose ends that I keep an eye out for but nothing anymore that I feel I especially "need" to own. I'm not pretending I beat the game but there's a slight sense of accomplishment anyway... :)

Adam9 likes this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

1st Airplane lp completely uncensored (both songs) in stereo

13. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I saw the 3rd Flying Burrito Brothers album (the blue album) in a gatefold sleeve in a record store in Las Vegas once and didn't buy it because the cover was beat. Haven't seen one since and some people tell me it does not exist but I saw it.

GerryO, lazydawg58 and gonz like this.
  14. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

to be honest, i haven't checked there. doubt i could afford one anyway. i usually get overwhelmed at the 'in groove' and just look through the $1 bins

Marc Perman likes this.
  15. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Let me check. I think that I may have a copy of this.

16. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

A couple of Bowie albums were elusive for a while, whether it was Hunky Dory in good condition or Low in any condition. I finally found both.

ODShowtime likes this.
  17. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I can't imagine it's rare but after attending many large Record Fairs I never came across a UK 1st edition red/orange label Astral Weeks.

18. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

The Association, Birthday, in mono.

I am about ready to give up and resort to the CD (which I am surprised exists ... good on Now Sounds for issuing it) before it also becomes unobtanium.

fortherecord and ernie11 like this.
  19. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Not a "record" per se, but Talking Heads- Stop Making Sense on 8-Track (!).

According to an old Columbia House catalog it was available, but did anyone actually order one?

I suppose my run will have to end here:

[​IMG]

As far as I can tell "The Name Of This Band...." never got an 8 Track release (record club or otherwise).

negative1, Man at C&A, Andrew and 9 others like this.
  20. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

I've noticed the same over here - I don't actually think I've ever seen an original Astral Weeks in the wild. Mostly german "Original Rock Classics" reissues here though. :)

21. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Same here. I've got NM original pressing of Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy, but HCTWJ was hard enough to find on CD (although I've been able to find both a standard US and a Dutch pressing of the CD). Vinyl? Forget it. And if I do ever see it, it's probably going to be priced out of my range.

ndoheny and gonz like this.
  22. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Al Kooper - Parchman Farm/ You’re The Lovin’ End

karmicg, GerryO and Peter_R like this.
  23. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

I finally found that one a couple of years ago in a HPB clearance bin. Made my day.

Hadean75 likes this.
  24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've got the original Lp.

The Hud likes this.
  25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've never seen a copy of Jethro "Toe", My Aeorplane on MGM. But I haven't looked too hard, because I'd never have been able to afford it anyway.

troggy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.