What's the best way to get more familiar with Motown? (Essential Albums, Singles)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldSoul, Mar 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'? Thread Starter

Of course, I've always known the biggest hits. By accident, I started listening to all of the '70s Supremes albums last weekend, then listened to Music of My Mind by Stevie Wonder finally (already have/listened to Talking Book and SITKOL), finally listened to What's Going On, and am now listening to Let's Get it On.

What do I do now?! I was going to listen to more Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder, but these complete singles boxes are making me salivate (I use Google Play: money and scarcity isn't an issue). That's too much, though, isn't it? I mean, I've had the 9 disc Stax box in my library for years and only got 2 or 3 discs in, despite enjoying it.

What are the essential albums I should listen to? I already know Marvin and Stevie are musts, at least for the '70s. What else is good?

Alternatively, what are some singles that I should listen to to get a feel for certain artists?

I feel like this is going to be a big undertaking, anyway I go, but I really want to hear more of this stuff.

@JohnnyQuest help me out, bro. :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    JohnnyQuest likes this.
  2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I don't know if you'll be able to get all the essentials with Google Play, at least if you're after the original mono mixes, which can be hard to find even on CD.

3. OldSoul

I'm not sure, either, but I'll try. I know some things seem to only be available as MP3s at the moment, anyway. As for mono and sound quality: I'm a broke college student; I just have to go with what I can get, unfortunately. Haha A lot of box sets are in mono and at least some of the '60s Supremes albums are available in deluxe stereo/mono versions. Maybe the same for more.

4. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Are the Hitsville U.S.A. box sets still in print? They are the way to go for a good overview, especially the first one. All killer, no filler.

g.z., Soultan71, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  5. OldSoul

They're on Google Play, anyway. I guess that is a good starting place for an overview.

6. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Marvin Gaye - Marvin Gaye: The Master (1961-1984) - Amazon.com Music »

Not only did it cover the 60's/70's/80's singles but it also includes many of my favorite hidden gems.

It's the only way to go for a new listener. :righton: This will completely convert you into a Motown fanatic.

That should cover Marvin's catalog. (For now ;)) Do you want to check out Stevie Wonder's 60's work too or would you rather focus on the 70's material?

7. OldSoul

'60s too. At least late-'60s.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  8. JohnnyQuest

I'll be blunt. Each album is a mixed bag. Unless it's by The Temptations. Are you a Vinyl,CD or MP3 guy?

OldSoul likes this.
  9. OldSoul

You have to understand I have this bias against early '60s Motown albums that is probably not fair to have, sl that's why I'd also like some album recommendations. :D

10. OldSoul

Ah-ha, my bias is confirmed.
    MP3, for now. I'll go back to CD and vinyl after college, but until then...

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  11. JRD

JRD Forum Resident

Live in Detroit.

12. OldSoul

I don't know whether to laugh or scowl.

JRD likes this.
  13. JohnnyQuest

Luckily for you Mp3 is the go-to music format when it comes to Motown. :D
    This is how I approached it.

1. Wikipedia + artist
    2. Scroll down to singles and sample each one.
    3. Snag your favorites from itunes.
    4. Go over the albums and grab whichever album tracks you find appealing.
    5. Check out each compilation for the non-album tracks and rarities.

As for Marvin and Stevie, Follow the directions above and grab each of the 70's album because they're all gold. :D

Marvin Gaye
    What's Going On
    Let's Get it On
    I Want You
    Here, My Dear

*Trouble Man (If you're into Blaxploitation film soundtracks)
    *Live at the London Palladium (If you're into atmospheric live albums)

Stevie Wonder
    Music of My Mind
    Talking Book
    Innervisions
    Fulfillingness' First Finale
    Songs in the Key of Life
    Hotter Than July (80's album but still :thumbsup:)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    g.z. and OldSoul like this.
  14. OldSoul

So my approach already, practically. :laugh: I guess that's what happens when you want to get into a whole label. Haha

I've been uncharacteristically very happy this past week and it may sound crazy, but I really think it's because of this music.

Jrr and JohnnyQuest like this.
  15. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I think for Motown you can either explore artist by artist (so Stevie and Marvin, and then perhaps Smokey Robinson or the Temptations, and so on); or you can listen to Motown various artists comps, and then follow up on artists you like. Either route is a lot of fun, and you're sure to find a ton of songs/artists you love (it's Motown... it's impossible not to). :D

g.z., Jrr, JohnnyQuest and 1 other person like this.
  16. JohnnyQuest

You think that's something? Dude, imagine how I felt when I had to go over Elvis' and James Brown's discographies. Oh man...:faint: I was wiped out by the 70's. Lol
    That's a wonderful feeling. (No pun intended) Motown's style of Pop usually brings a very joyful experience to it's listeners. :D

Oh, and whatever you do don't forget the groups. (Four Tops,Temptations,Miracles,etc.)

g.z., Jrr and OldSoul like this.
  17. OldSoul

I'm listening now. Just finished I Wonder. I had no idea Motown got that jazzy. Wow.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  18. JohnnyQuest

Marvin Gaye started as a balladeer. His biggest influences at the time were Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra. :)

rxcory and OldSoul like this.
  19. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

You seem to be off to a good (great, actually) start. I love the '70s Supremes albums, particularly the Jimmy Webb album. Of course, the '60s Supremes are incredible. The hits collections are terrific but I do love the Where Did Our Love Go and At the Copa albums.

Since you seem to like the '70s, Thelma Houston is worth seeking out. "Don't Leave Me This Way" is her big hit.

Diana Ross' '70s solo albums are very strong in my opinion. Her debut solo album and "The Boss" are excellent.

zebop and OldSoul like this.
  20. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Let's talk about the Artistics and their single Walking Tall. While it's not Motown, it's still badass.

21. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

The Four Tops and The Temptations. Start with the hits and proceed from there. :)

OldSoul likes this.
  22. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Yeah, as funny as it seems, Marvin didn't want to do R&B/soul early on. He wanted to be a crooner. But then, he also wanted to play football professionally for the Detroit Lions in 1970. He was an erratic character.

JohnnyQuest, zebop and OldSoul like this.
  23. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Here's a few I liked

The Temptations-The Sky's The Limit, Greatest Hits Vol 2. A Song For You

Diana Ross-Surrender, Lady Sings the Blues, Diana Ross, Ross, The Boss

The Originals-California Sunset

The Miracles-Renaissance, Do It Baby, Don't Cha Love It, City of Angels

The Four Tops-Nature Planned It

The Jackson 5-ABC, Third Album, Maybe Tomorrow, Lookin' Through the Windows, Skywriter, Dancing Machine

Thom and OldSoul like this.
  24. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

If you like the '70s Supremes and Stevie Wonder, I think you'd like Syreeta Wright. Syreeta was a Motown staff writer and was a candidate for the Supremes in 1969 (before Gordy chose Jean Terrell). She was also married to Stevie Wonder in the early '70s. Her and Stevie co-wrote "It's A Shame" (by the Spinners) and a number of songs on Stevie's albums when they were married. As an artist, she has an album called Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta from 1974 (after her and Stevie were divorced), and all the songs are co-written by her and Stevie, and Stevie produced it. (So, really it's like a Stevie album in a lot of ways, but with Syreeta's vocals). I really like it, and it's not unlike the Supremes albums of that period. If it's on Google Play for you, have a listen. :)

Edit: She's most famous for the 1979 hit "With You I'm Born Again" (a duet with Billy Preston). Also a really nice song.

OldSoul and zebop like this.
  25. JohnnyQuest

He had his heart set on becoming the next Nat King Cole and wasn't willing to compromise with Berry Gordy. His stubbornness was the inspiration behind his first hit single. ;) (Stubborn Kind of Fellow)

Thom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.