What's the shortest (non-interrupted) concert set you've seen?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pinknik, Aug 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodpickins

goodpickins Well-Known Member

Are you sure you have the right venue or that you didnt just catch the encore? I saw them there twice, maybe there was a third show I missed, certainly possible.

One of the shows, maybe this is causing confusion, they were delayed by rain for about an hour. It wasnt a drizzzle or their fault, they shut all the stages down and everybody took cover. the wind was blowing merch from the tents all over the place. Usually there is zero flexibility at Ottawa's bluesfest, both with the scheduling and (when you are the last act) the noise bylaw. But they played well past it, in the rain, not a full set but not too far off.

Can't fault the organisers for being cautious (that night) because a few nights later Cheap Trick's stage collapsed. That happened so fast, I just felt a wind behind me and turned around and the stormclouds were black. Then someone either pulled the PA or it went out, then Robin Zander was waving to the audience before someone rushed him off, and then the stage was rubble. it seemed to happen in seconds because we were all so shocked. There wasnt any panic though (if it had fallen forward there would have been, damn straight) people were just like "wtf just happened?" and wandered off towards the war memorial looking back at the stage. I rode my bicycle around the grounds after and the wind was so strong during that brief storm that it blew most of the steel fences over at the back along the river and those things are heavy and have concret blocks on them where they join and arent tall like a stage. That was pretty crazy, I forget all the aftermath, i think there was some negligence involved, but I'm not sure any temporary rigging that was facing that wind would have held up that night.

Anyway, unless The Black Keys did a set there i dont know about, they did their rock and roll duty
    Saw The Black Lips do a set there too with the rain just blowing in their face the whole time, nothing for them though, they've had worse things blowing in their faces. Saw Camera Obscura play there in not a downpour but steady rain the whole set, they put like a makeshift tent over the keyboards. Tracyanne Campbell said at the beginning hey we're gonna try, and I think she was impressed by the people who stuck it out, if you didnt have an umbrella you were soaked to the bone, because they did too and it was a nice show.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    ramdom likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

See, the problem is that you went to RFK when the show was at JFK! ;)

Setlist.fm claims that show was 18 songs long, which would mean they had to play breakneck speed to get off the stage in 70 minutes...

3. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

When I was in college Branford Marsalis was booked to play. His disdain was evident. Concert started at 7pm. By 725pm he was done and walked off without a word. I know 15 wasn’t a lot, but he lost a big fan that night.

4. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Ray Charles at the Bottom Line. Great but short; 50 minutes.

5. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

No wonder I thought they sucked and it seemed like such a short show - I was at the wrong venue!!!! LOL!

Oatsdad likes this.
  6. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

1 minute max - Sly Stone, Winterland, '70.

:bdance:

7. rayd88d

rayd88d Forum Resident

New Order at The Opera House, Boston, MA - August 1985. I recall their set was about an hour including an encore. (Blue Monday) Crowd was not happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.