What's Up With All The Crappy Movie Soundtracks Being Reissued On Vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

Lately there seems to be no shortage of vinyl soundtracks being issued/reissued problem is they all seem to be of recent movies not necessarily known for the outstanding music in the film.Is it just cause these soundtracks are easier to license? It's sad cause there are SO many movies known for their music Quentin Tarrantino ( Deathproof,Jackie Brown)and Guy Richie (Lock,Stock and Two Smoking Barrels,RockNRolla,Snatch) and others like Rushmore which SHOULD be reissued/issued first.Any soundtracks do you want badly and either are too expensive for original vinyl or have NEVER been issued on vinyl in the first place you're hoping to see soon?

thesisinbold likes this.
  2. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Twin Peaks

3. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Too many to list. Film scores are my main musical interest these days. Many of my favorites have not been released on CD and the original vinyl goes for a fortune.

4. Eli

Eli Party Coordinator

The world of scores and soundtracks is a world of its own. The audience for those reissues is often completely separated from the rest of the record-buying public.

Johnny Vinyl and Coricama like this.
  5. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

Not too difficult to track down on second hand vinyl, and I do recall reading it was getting a re-release on Death Waltz in the UK, did that not happen?

My vote would go to 'Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me', which goes for silly money (and only ever got a very limited release at best - although I believe even that may have been a bootleg of sorts).

Edited to add: Ah, BOTH due to come out on coloured vinyl - last reported as postponed to January 2015......so....ermm....

http://modern-vinyl.com/2014/10/07/twin-peaks-soundtracks-being-reissued-on-vinyl/

beatleswho likes this.
  6. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

I guess before the wish list gets much further,how about some titles that fit the "recent movies not nescessaily known for the outstanding music in the film""?I'm not near as saavy as I once was about movies in the cineplex and,quite honestly,because of my wife's severe hearing problems,we haven't gone into a movie house in well over a decade.Add to that,anything branded as Marvel super hero,toy-tie-ins(Lego is the exception),movies promising that "rumble under your butt"experience if viewing on a home theatre system are verboten.But,it seems to me when I've breezed past new vinyl soundtracks,there have been some pretty cool movies with soundtracks that made sense on vinyl.The most obvious was the 2013 Inside Llewyn Davis.The Coen Brothers took a gamble that a fictional story based on Dave Van Ronk would sell and they were wrong,but thank (your Supreme Power here) they took that chance.More recently,I saw that the soundtrack to St. Vincent,a modest film producing modest,yet profitable, returns, came out on vinyl and,while I have neither seen nor heard this,reviews seem promising and the soundtrack appears to be in the mold of Wes Anderson's quirkiness.It's still a gamble on vinyl:expensive to press and a gamble for stores to stock.The days of Forrest Gump soundtracks selling big are so 1990s. Actually,when I see a soundtrack to something as precious as St. Vincent on vinyl,I'm pretty amazed it's in the bins.I've also seen soundtracks to some of the hipper TV shows like Breaking Bad & Mad Men,released on vinyl and that sounds pretty promising.
    Also,when discussing soundtracks there is a vast difference between movie scores and soundtracks with songs.Do you have a problem with the dearth of either or both?

7. erocky

erocky Senior Member

Can someone please re-issue Bowie's Labyrinth in vinyl? That one is hard to find!

8. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

A Clockwork Orange soundtrack cut from analog tapes would be nice. It's not hard to find originals, but it is hard to find ones that aren't noisy with ringworn covers.

Still waiting for the Twin Peaks reissues. They were announced like a year ago.

A Repo Man soundtrack reissue would probably do well. The original sold so well that it caused a re-release of the film after it was pulled from theaters after only one week.

Plus one on Rushmore! That is one of my favorite soundtracks. I'd also love to see another reissue of Harold And Maude. The last reissue (2007?) was only a few hundred copies and it now goes for stupid money.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    ShawnX likes this.
  9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

When I was kid I had the Hatari soundtrack and wore it out. That was in 62 before the Beatles had hit it big in the USA.

Grant likes this.
  10. A lot of these are being bought by movie fans as a collectable, never to be played.

Clonesteak, bootbox and Veltri like this.
  11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

My family had that original RCA album since before I was born I was and love it! It's around here somewhere.

12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I believe Analogue Productions is working on a reissue that I plan to buy.

13. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Maybe Analogue Productions could tackle Harold And Maude?? They've already done two versions of Tea For The Tillerman.

Robert C likes this.
  14. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I'd like to see the soundtracks for Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and The Graduate re-issued.

15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

it makes perfect sense. vinyl has experienced quite the comeback (maybe you've heard about it on these forums....there might be a thread somewhere). many new releases are getting pressed to vinyl, which means that new movie soundtracks are as well.

bootbox likes this.
  16. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

and old movie soundtracks on CD too, I noticed the phenomenon several years ago, do they really sell?

17. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

I'd love a copy of The Shining on vinyl, but no way I'm paying $100 on discogs or eBay. Really needs a reissue.

18. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

[​IMG]

Yep, limited edition with new artwork.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.