What's with various companies enhanced Progressive scan?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aquateen, Jun 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Recently I was looking at two Sony dvd players that had identical features with the exception that the more expensive model had something called Procision Cinema Progressive scan. Isn't progressive scan capped off at 480 lines of resolution? Is this a marketing job on Sony's part or is there an actual difference?

2. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

Maybe one of them was an upscaling player that uses DVI output to upconvert the 480i video on the dvd to either 720p or 1080i. DVD is, as you stated, rated at 480 interlaced lines of resolution, but some of the newer players can upconvert it to 720p or 1080i. Many of the companies are using fancy marketing names for this.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

4. GabeG

GabeG New Member

What Gregt and SamS mention is correct. All the dvd players that have a dvi output that I know of do upscale to 720p and 1080i. Read the link that SamS provides - not all progressive dvd players are created equal. Also pay attention to the actual mpeg decoders - many of them are crap.

5. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

Other than Sansui, who makes a 1080i dvi output?

6. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Every player with a dvi output that I know can do 1080i (samsung, v, denon, marantz, etc).

7. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

And, may I add, 720p!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.