What's wrong with Goat's Head Soup?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jul 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Truer words were never spoken!!!

steelinYaThighs, aphexj and Clanceman like this.
  2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Some of my favorite Stones songs are from Goats Head Soup.

Heartbreaker
    Mr. D
    Silver Train
    Winter
    Coming Down

3. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Quite a few folks were doing heroin from what Ive always heard. That might explain things.

4. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I like the muddy sound. It was a continuation of the Exile sound.

5. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Yes, and frequently too salty.

6. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

:thumbsup::righton::edthumbs: :tiphat:

steelinYaThighs, aphexj and mbrownp1 like this.
  7. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I don't consider GHS one of their best, but it's among the albums that precede it a good one. Dancing is not my favorite for some reason, and I am one who has heard Angie enough already. It's overdone to my ears. And I don't like the cover.

But there's lots of great stuff on it, like Winter. Awesome tune. I admire Taylor's work on this album very much.

When it came out, the general perception of it was that it was a step down from Exile. I think it was, and that's still an accurate take on it. But standing on its own? It's very good.

stewedandkeefed and DTK like this.
  8. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

There's nothing wrong with GHS. It's a good Stones album but not a great one.

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The album sounds like a hangover after the brilliant party that was Beggar's to Exile. There are a few good songs on the album but it's a pretty dreary listen. It just draaaags along.

10. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Keith's bad teeth period and his haircut

Bowland and The Beave like this.
  11. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Maybe the problem was me. There are some good tracks on "Goat's Head Soup", but it was so different from ""Exile" and "Sticky Fingers" that it was hard for me to get into it. I sort of lost interest in the Rolling Stones after that record from being a fanatical fan up to that point. It may have just been Rolling Stones fatigue and not really a critique on that particular record.

12. PaoloOcco

PaoloOcco Forum Resident

Went out walking through the woods the other day
    Can't you see the furrows in my forehead
    what tender days we had no secrets hid away
    Now it seems about a hundred years ago

When i think at the gold age of Stones i think period from Beggars Banquet to Exile... but Goat is a good compendium.
    Here are some strong songs (100 Years Ago, Winter, Hide Your Love, Angie, Coming Down) and the other are anyway better than more of other music around but in reality in the whole something does not work. I don't know what but there's something that (imo) puts a step down this LP.
    As for me the weakest song here is Dancing with Mr. D maybe the fact that this song open the album .... (Brown Sugar, Sympathy, Let It Bleed and then Miss You or Start Me Up send another impact).

well, off topic: The Gold Age of one group or artist would be a good thread: Stones (Up) Boss from Born to Run to Born in the USA, Seger from Beautiful loser to Nine Tonight, Beatles from Revolver to Abbey Road .... sorry off topic

Bye

Paolo

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A double album Goats/Goats live Brussels Affair would be great.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition:righton:

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

If it included Brussels Affair.

The MEZ likes this.
  16. ohnothimagen

If they did do a GHS Deluxe -which I keep reading is not out of the realm of possibilities- it had damn well better include some '73 live material...there's a whole boatload of outtakes from the sessions as well. A Deluxe GHS would be right up there with the Some Girls Deluxe as far as quality goes if they did it right.

17. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

You've answered your own question :)

Tim

Flaming Torch likes this.
  18. Plus 1....
    Really like Goat Heads Soup.

19. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Well you are spot on in my opinion in that it is not as good as the 4 preceding studio albums (Beggars, Let it Bleed, Sticky and Exile). However I think it is a very good album in deed. It has survived the test of time and I guess I play it at least once a month. I think Angie is fantastic and a real favourite. The only track I don't like much (certainly the lyric) is Star etc.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  20. ohnothimagen

"Star Star" is up there near the top of my list of least favourite Stones songs simply based on the lyric...IMO the chorus is probably the dumbest, most juvenile thing Mick Jagger has ever written. He probably thought he was being witty and clever...epic fail, Mick.

3rd Uncle Bob and Flaming Torch like this.
  21. Flaming Torch

I have never taken much notice of Sir Mick's lyrics post the 1970s. I kind of assume they are all even worse than Star! I read the lyrics on line of his latest opus and nearly fell off my chair. He should retire and enjoy the cricket as like Macca his legacy is assured.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Flaming Torch

Thanks ronton99. Do other folk think the record has a puny, awful sound? For myself I always liked the sound of this record but would be interested in what others think. I could well be wrong but I always had the impression the Stones put a bit of effort and care into this album.

ohnothimagen and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. I think it was supposed to be about Carly Simon; not sure though. Rather juvenile lyrics

ohnothimagen and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Flaming Torch

Apologies S. P. Honeybunch but I am a big fan of draggy (or druggy) ballads like Coming Down Again (I am a big fan of Till the Next Goodbye on the next album). The ballads are some of my favourite Stones tracks.

25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

As a goat's head would say: "Meh"

Angie is a "turn the dial to a new station" tune for me.

Heartbreaker is good.

The rest is forgettable.

Overall, too much MT not enough Keef

ohnothimagen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.