What's your favorite album by "The Big 5" of Grunge? (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden,etc.)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

To make things fair I posted 3 albums for each band. :thumbsup: So don't waste your time complaining about the absence of an album. Just choose whichever one is your favorite from the poll choices above.

My vote goes to...
    [​IMG]

2. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

out of these bands my favorite is either STP or nirvana...

but i have to vote for superunknown....that album is freaking amazing. like nothing i heard from the 90s. after listening to soundgarden's other albums its almost impossible to believe it was the same band.

3. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

Mudhoney are the kings of grunge IMO, super fuzz bigmuff, s-t and every good boy deserves fudge, are better grunge than all the choices listed. Tad was another one,mainly Subpop from 90-91

stp commonly referred to as post-grunge. Soundgarden maybe grunge on the sub pop stuff, but not albums listed here so much,maybe grunge influenced arena rock

4. JohnnyQuest

That's untrue. Bands like Foo Fighters,Bush,Candlebox,etc. were referred to as Post-Grunge not STP.

5. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

genre names notwithstanding, I would take serious umbrage with Stone Temple Pilots being part of "the big 5 of grunge." Mudhoney is a much more logical inclusion.

6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

STP?!?!?! Not at the time, man. We considered them wannabes. They weren't from Seattle or even the Pacific Northwest! Grunge bands came from that area, nowhere else. Especially not San Diego, like STP.

Mudhoney should be on here, not STP.

7. JohnnyQuest

8. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

9. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

Stp only grunge if you were not listening to grunge at the time,really the aesthetic of grunge is very garage and low budget, pretty much the opposite of stp

10. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

Soundgarden - Louder Than Love

11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

12. JohnnyQuest

They're Grunge.

13. AceintheSpace

AceintheSpace Forum Resident

Very tough. Voted Nevermind but could've voted Ten, In Utero, Dirt and Superunknown.

Dudley Morris and Fullbug like this.
  14. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

Pearl Jam Vs.
    A perfect album. Unfortunately, it also turned out to be a transitional album for the band between Stone's musical vision on Ten and Eddie seizing control from Vitalogy on. Everything was in perfect balance on Vs.

Zoot Marimba, PatGar, enro99 and 3 others like this.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Alice in Chains - Dirt, for me.

pblmow, Nycademon, puffyrock2 and 4 others like this.
  16. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I like most of these albums but Superunknown is one of the best rock records of all time.

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Ten

davesmoked likes this.
  18. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

While I agree that STP weren't really grunge, they also weren't wannabes. They just got lumped into that scene by lazy journalists because they debuted at roughly the same time, and there were those who thought they had a similar sound, but even then, they really didn't.

The real "post grunge" bands came out in 1994, and beyond, when grunge was already on the way out. STP's debut came out in 1992, when grunge was nearing it's apex, but was also released around the time that Pearl Jam's Ten was finally seeing it's greatest chart success. It also wasn't so much that STP where influenced by grunge, as they shared the same influences, to begin with. They were a band (as Mighty Joe Young) before Pearl Jam was even Pearl Jam, and already had a demo album recorded around the same time that PJ was recording their's. The only major difference was that Pearl Jam got signed and got their debut album out first. If there was, perhaps, another reason the two bands may have had a similar sound, consider also the fact that both band's employed the same producer - Brendan O'Brien - for most of their recorded output.

That said, using your argument, guess where Pearl Jam lead singer Eddie Vedder was from? Oh yeah, San Deigo. So I guess that would make Pearl Jam only 4/5th's grunge then? Vedder was an implant to a group that was from the Seattle area, but then again, not all of them were. Jeff Ament was from Montana, so maybe 3/5th's grunge? Nirvana already had an album out without Dave Grohl, yet they didn't achieve their greatest success until after he was a member of the band, and he wasn't from Seattle, either. So while the "grunge" sound may have emanated out of the Pacific Northwest, that doesn't mean all the people who made the music popular were from there. (Just the majority of them.)

Regardless, I would also agree that any true list on grunge bands should include Mudhoney, as their sound was the epitome of "grunge". I also believe it was even their singer, Mark Arm, who coined the term (in a somewhat joking fashion), too.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    proedros, CrombyMouse, enro99 and 6 others like this.
  19. Sequenzer

Sequenzer Forum Resident

Alice in Chains - Dirt

20. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

What about these guys?
    They weren't from Seattle.
    hee hee ....

[​IMG]

davesmoked, DaveinMA, Fullbug and 4 others like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Only like 'Black ole Sun' so

22. alexpop

Johnny Rotten + pistols. :)
    Rott

23. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

I went Badmotorfinger. I adore that album. Dirt, Nevermind & Ten come close. I would have liked to have seen some Mudhoney on the list. Super Fuzz Bigmuff & Every Boy Deserves Fudge are both great records.

Soundslave and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  24. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Pearl Jam were never a grunge band, they were a classic arena/fm rock band. Yes, some members had a background in the grunge scene, but that does not make PJ grunge.

25. alexpop

Johnny Rotten + pistols. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.