What's your favorite Beatles album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Meddle, May 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Can we vote for "Brian's Hotel"? :p
    [​IMG]

The Ole' Rocker and andrewskyDE like this.
  2. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

+1

Clonesteak likes this.
  3. Meddle

Meddle Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like the cover

4. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Thanks! :)

Meddle likes this.
  5. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

The White Album. I believe it to be the greatest album ever made. Yet, it has tracks I do not like.

If I want to listen to a Beatles album from start to finish, my favorite is Rubber Soul.

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Rubber Soul...my favourite and their best! :love:

The MEZ likes this.
  7. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

It can vary, depending on my mood etc. BUT, for over 20 years (since I became pretty serious about their music) I've always gone back to Rubber Soul. Often, when I've not played any of their music for a while, it's usually the first and sometimes the only one I play - then some solo or Wings. Again, it all depends. I just find it their most 'attractive' album - I don't know if that makes sense, but it does to me. :) Maybe accessible is a better word but for me, all of their albums are and there was a time that I could list all the tracks in order, from most of them.

So - starting with the fun and slightly funky Drive My Car, it goes into folky Norwegian Wood with that great punchline at the end of the song. :D I love You Won't See Me (glad Bryan Ferry - as I'm a fan of his covered it - but it's 100% a Macca Rubber Soul track and so much better by them IMO.) Nowhere Man, like many other tracks here, have those fabulous harmonies and a nice touch with the treatment on the guitar solo - an experiment that worked well. The album has the occasional nice little touch (like the fuzz bass) and ideas were now flowing from them. Probably why I find it an exciting listen. I could go on but for now, I think it's enough to say that there's not a single song I dislike or tire of and it feels to me like the most consistent and coherant of their albums. A mixture of soul and folk - not a million miles away from what The Band were doing a few years down the line. :cool: That only just occurred to me and some may not agree but musicians back then were studying this stuff - not just today. I'd liken almost to A Hard Day's Night (their last with all original tracks) but they'd suddenly come of age - by way of songs like No Reply, I'm A Loser and What You're Doing.

I bought the 2014 mono LP of this, a few weeks ago (and also Help, Revolver & Pepper) so I could hear it the 'alternate' way to the stereo CDs that I've owned for such a long time and think I'll give it another spin sometime this afternoon.

8. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Same as before.

9. Selteab

Selteab Free-hand sketcher and dancer of the hokey-pokey.

The White Album, although I do find myself playing Rubber Soul and Abbey Road more and more recently.

The White Album has got something on it that will scratch that itch, as it were. I find myself playing side 3 (the heavier side) the most, with the sequence up to Long, Long, Long being especially satisfying to my ears.

I do wish that Hey Jude was included instead of Revolution #9, but it is what it is: and I love it.

I got the recent Japanese SHM-CD version and heard things I'd never heard before, placebo maybe, but I hear what I hear.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  10. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

"All Things Must Pass".

;D

I put "Magical Mystery Tour", although "Abbey Road" and "Rubber Soul" both put up a very-admirable fight (I think MMT picked up the bulk of the sentimental vote, and that was enough to push it over the top).

Shiver likes this.
  11. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

OK, so you're one of the two. Only 2 people call YS their favorite Beatles album. I will simply call it their most underrated one. The 4 new (at the time) songs are good and George Martin's whimsical orchestral score is a delight.

12. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Predictable results. Maybe the OP should have rephrased the question to evoke something new, e.g. Give 5 reasons why (insert album) is your favourite Beatles album.

13. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

"Tomorrow Never Knows" scared me to death when I first heard it in 1966 (I was 12). For quite a while I would lift the needle after "Got To Get You Into My Life." Then I heard "TNK" on the 2nd season of the Beatles cartoon show and gave it another chance. Now I think it's brilliant. (It still scares some young people who are just discovering the Beatles.)

14. Koma

Koma New Member

The White Album, not really a huge fan of them outside of that and Rubber Sole.

15. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Magical Mystery Tour, despite the fact it contains filler -- "Blue Jay Way", "Flying", the rest of the album's are so damn great MMT still comes out on top. FWIW, it's Lennon's favorite album too.

Scope J and zebop like this.
  16. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

[​IMG]

-- and --

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  17. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

Abbey Road for me. It's also a candidate for my favorite album of all time as it has everything I want in music: experimentation (the medley, "Because"), fun ("Octopus's Garden"), beauty ("Something"), funky grooves ("Come Together"), and darkness ("I Want You (She's So Heavy)").

The MEZ and Luke The Drifter like this.
  18. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

A Hard Day's Night

Scope J likes this.
  19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The White Album. For me, the best album from any band.

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

21. Vinowino

Vinowino Forum Resident

For a long time I would have said Abbey Road. But recently I asked myself "Which one do I play most"
    THE WHITE ALBUM.
    However, I always use Abbey Road when I trial new gear upgrades.

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I nearly hit Revolver but I went for Magical Mystery Tour.
    I mean - Strawberry Fields Forever, I Am The Walrus, Penny Lane, The Fool On The Hill, Baby You're A Rich Man - no contest.

The MEZ and Crimson Witch like this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Can never except MMT as a conceptual studio album.
    Just me folks.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  24. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Of these, With The Beatles.

25. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident

The White Album

Crimson Witch and Scope J like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.