What's your favorite poster from an LP?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by gotityet0, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut Thread Starter

dang I'd like to see it. :)

2. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut Thread Starter

That's a good one, But flats don't count. You got to be able to unfold it. :)

3. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

I'm trying to remember...Was it this image?

This April Wine 45 came wrapped inside a poster...

Attached Files:

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have it.

Funny that you don't hear many people say that they have ever even seen one. Must be rare as hens teeth. All who have one please raise hand.

5. This is all that would fit on my scanner... :D

Attached Files:

6. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Jimi Hendrix "Smash Hits" poster...

Naw, that poster was still included with the LP years later. After all, it was a blatant advertisement for the record. I cannibalized a bunch of them to give away...probably still have a dozen or so. As a general rule, anything I saved more than one of, is usually worthless. :sigh:

7. egor

egor Forum Resident

The LP of Elton's Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirty Cowboy came with a sweet poster.

8. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

I've never seen a copy of that album that still had the poster. I see the album all the time in used record stores, but never with the poster.

9. Almost forgot the releases of UK anarcho-punks Crass - almost all of their LPs and singles were housed in sleeves that folded out into large posters featuring paintings and/or collages accompanied by political tracts on whatever the concept of the single/album was. If the sleeve was a regular one, there would usually be a poster included.

I've always thought that the band were totally misguided in their re-releasing their catalogue in relatively standard jewel-cases - sod the music, they should be re-issuing the packaging! The music was generally not so great, but at the prices they were originally sold at the packaging was usually worth the purchase, whatever you thought of their politics.

10. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

11. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

I don't doubt that a bit. My point was that when Reprise released Jimi Hendrix Smash Hits in the US with the poster, they continued to include it for several years after the original run. A large percentage of defective returns of this LP still contained the poster well into the 1970's. If used copies don't contain the poster, you can bet either the original owner kept it, or that copy was manufactured after 1973~1974.

Fair enough...then one that just barely qualifies is The Beach Boys' Surf's Up. The unfolded flipside of the lyric sheet shows a monochrome image of dried ground. I don't ever recall seeing this displayed on anyone's wall.

Gee, nobody has mentioned the poster from Journey's Captured LP. [​IMG]

12. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

No one's mentioned the HUGE poster with the Osmonds' Phase III??!!
    or the double-sided one with the 4 Seasons' Edizone D'oro?(Don't see those too often....)

drasil likes this.
  13. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'll have to agree with Jeff.The original pressing noted it on the cover.You see the COVERS,but never the poster.(I DO have one,scored it at Beatlef**t about 10 years ago for $20.--I haven't come across many at all in all my years of collecting.A friend of mine's been working in used record stores for 25+ years now.He says you're lucky if he sees two a year.And usually all ripped up....)-Maybe it's a regional thing.

14. longjohn

longjohn New Member

I've had this on my music room wall for years. I had it mounted (not framed). I like the texture of the paper it's printed on, too (non-glossy).

To contribute: one, the Pink Floyd Umma Gumma poster, the pictures-in-pictures one. Two, a giant poster of J.S. Bach that came with Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations. It's a painting of Bach but his big head of rockstar-ish white hair (a wig in reality, I know) is actually made up of winged cherubs. I have that up beside the Lennon white piano poster.

15. ashleyfan

ashleyfan New Member

my favorites were the color portraits of each group member included with 'the Best of The Lovin' Spoonful' (Zal's had him posing with the Fisher-Price toy, dunno what it's called, but it's the one with the plastic rings of ascending sizes and each is a different color, on a plastic base that rocks back and forth. I had that very same type of toy as a child). Chicago II is my favorite poster, with the poster from V being a close runner-up (there are two actually, one is b/w, and the other is the fold-out with an individual portrait of each one in the group). The best booklet is to me the one that comes with Carnegie Hall, which on the back shows a list of every gig they played from 1967 thru the Carnegie Hall show.

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Did that album originally come with a poster? Or was it bought somewhere along the way

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Neil Young offered up posters in several albums that included only his handwritten lyrics. But they were full on posters!

Time Fades Away & After The Gold Rush are the two that come to mind. I saved copies of these posters from found LPs that were trashed, but had clean posters still inside. I would think these are very common, not at all rare, or not any rare than Time Fades Away is as an album.

18. longjohn

longjohn New Member

I'm pretty sure it came with the album, which I've had for almost 30 years.

19. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

thanks! I never realized that many people returned LPs (until I joined this forum) just as I did back then!

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have a Japanese pressing of 1962-1966 by the Beatles. It, as well as other Beatles Japan issued albums came with posters. It's an ok shot of them from the "Help" period.

Could anyone tell me what the poster looked like that came with the Beatles Japanese pressing of 1967-1970? This being the later period, it might be somehting very cool.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Speaking of Japanese LP pressings with exclusive posters, Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here comes with a large poster that features the postcard artwork.

The Led Zeppelin albums also included posters in Japan.

22. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

I always liked the "Best of The Guess Who" Blacklight Poster . Kind of a dark pink and Purple color of the Band .

23. protay5

protay5 Member

Me too, & I still display mine from time to time. Very dark and disturbing. :)

I also have a soft spot for the Cream Goodbye poster -- I saw it framed in so many bars.

24. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

I Love The Beatles' "White Album" 's Poster-That was an great poster! (For The "Limited Edition" CD of it,both the Poster and the 4 individual photos were downsized to fit in the cardboard cover-the openings was on top of it!) Michael Boyce

25. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

One of mine...

Chicago III poster with the band dressed up as different stages of military against a backdrop of soldiers buried in D.C.

EdgardV likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.