What's your favourite Duran Duran album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Desert Explorer, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

I keep learning stuff here and this will cost me $$$! I did not realize there was a Quiex pressing of Rio. The Synchronicity Quiex is superb.

jamesc and c-eling like this.
  2. And of course, how could pop stardom compete with the glamourous life of the gentleman farmer? :)

GodShifter and jamesc like this.
  3. Night Version

They are frustrating, though.... no? It seems they’ve never quite recognized where their strengths lie.

Paper Gods being only the most recent, albeit more egregious, example. The ongoing attempts at recapturing former pop glory undermines the moodier Japan / Bowie / Roxy inspired side of the band that made Arcadia such an artistic success. Imagine if Astronaut had ventured deeply into those tendencies versus the calculated ‘product’ that resulted? Even the gatefold art signaled a return (the homage to Roxy)... but no!

Perhaps they felt burned by public response to Medazzaland and Pop Trash (interesting releases, ultimately disposable).... Coupled with an apparent severe cash flow situation....

4. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Rio by a mile, but only if it is the American version with the remixes, which blow away the original versions of those tracks.

JeffMo likes this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Deeply frustrating, yes. For every "Winter Marches On" you get one - or two - "So Misled"s. Other bands are definitely more consistent. Another complete album like "So Red The Rose" would be highly welcome. And let's face it: People who are going to buy new DD "product" are going to buy it anyway, this late in the game the band could come up with the most catchy and commercial album of their career... who below 40 would be interested????

sentinel90125 likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I didn't either when I bought it about 8 years ago. It wasn't till recently I noticed it :laugh:

7. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

I agree with those that had some good things to say about Red Carpet Massacre, which I think is their best post-Wedding Album record. Some of the Timbaland (chickachickachicka) touches are annoying, but songs like "The Valley" (that bass!), "Box Full O'Honey", "Last Man Standing" or "She's Too Much" are excellent.

Max Florian, maywitch and jamesc like this.
  8. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I own DD's first four LPs on Japanese pressings - don't ask me why but once I bought Rio I had to get the rest. Also have many of their 12" singles for their smashing Night Versions.

Anyways - my favorite album is the first because it captures their artier side, but Rio is such a close second, especially with "Save a Prayer". SaP was the song (and video) that got me hooked with Duran Duran; before that they were just a "teen girl" band in my mind's eye.

black sheriff and Night Version like this.
  9. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

Gotta be RIO!
    :cool:

ARK likes this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The Wedding Album.

All the rest are too spotty but most have some really good to great material.

11. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

The Japanese pressings are nice. They are my go to.

12. Love this live album and the track selection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Max Florian, JeffMo and jamesc like this.
  13. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Just got that from 7digital recently and it's a nice live set.

JeffMo likes this.
  14. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Yes they were massive from '82 - '85. There were contenders but they never lasted. Culture Club were huge for a year or two. Frankie were huge for one year - '84 - than faded. Spandau Ballet were probably their biggest rival but they never reached Duran's level of success.

They did make some great b sides. The one I posted earlier - "Faster Than Light" - is a favourite. "Secret Oktober" is another

Clearly he couldn't be a star on his own as don't think I've heard one of his solo songs. Have heard JT's solo single - "I Do What I Do" - which I like

15. Night Version

Itself heavily produced by Jonathan Elias, of Yes “Union” fame.

AFOS likes this.
  16. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Is it just me or are the first few Duran albums mastered rather loud?

Anyway, Rio, obviously, and all too predictably. :)

17. c-eling

For old mastering's?
    Here's an old thread for Rio touching on that topic. After years of back and forth's and finally acquiring a Japan Triangle
    For me my favorite is the WG Sonopress*, if one is looking for the least 'peaks hitting 100' that would be the WG Polygram Silver.
    *Subject to change :winkgrin:
    Duran Duran - Rio (First W Germany For USA CD - Early Loudness War Starting)

jamesc and Osato like this.
  18. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Ah, great, thanks for the link!

c-eling likes this.
  19. Neonbeam

Man, you really have to stop these quick avatar changes. It's confusing!

Even though this Cocteau cd single looks really nice:righton:

c-eling likes this.
  20. c-eling

Think I'll stick with it for awhile Neon.
    Hey I'm not as bad as Grant! :laugh:

Neonbeam likes this.
  21. maywitch

maywitch Forum Resident

Ooh I loved "Hold Me". While I liked Notorious as a single, I do think "Hold Me" would have been great for a second single.

22. Neonbeam

Definitely. But I guess they wanted to get away from old DD and both "Hold Me" and "A Matter Of Feeling" ventured too close to their vintage sound.

23. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Rio was their classic after a very ,very strong debut that could have used better sequencing. SATRT has aged extremely well. Arcadia is a stunner. Notorious? Yeah, they can bring in the funk. Big Thing is such an interesting listen, very deep and complex. Liberty? Not bad but it was a bad career move for them. Wedding was a surprising return. Medazzaland was very interesting, the tour was the best I've ever seen of them. I actually enjoy Thank You (Perfect Day and Detectives are brilliant). I like Pop Trash quite a bit, Playing With Uranium is one of my all time favs. Astronaut is another complete work, the second side is stunning. Massacre is pretty interesting and AYNIN was such a shot in the arm for them, very wise getting with Ronson and I really like Paper Gods as it is a bold step outside the comfort zone. Great band. Not many can look back on a body of work like this. They should be very, very proud of what they've achieved, many peaks and valleys and they've come out pretty well.

Uther, maywitch, jamesc and 1 other person like this.
  24. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

The only one I own or care about is Rio.

25. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Rio, with the debut very close behind it.

ARK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.