When Bad DVD's Happen to Great Films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris M, Nov 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

I agree with your assessment that the Criterion has better color timing.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hi Robert,
    I forgot to add...On the TZ DVD's...IIRC, Panasonic only mastered the early releases. Image took over after the first 9? Starting with Volume 28 they added a cool feature...Isolated Music Soundtrack! Really neato!
    :)

3. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Rudy, I agree. My video system is not as good as my audio system, so maybe I am missing the improvements, but mostly the reissues just add more extras. Until I retire (assuming I make it to retirement) I barely have time to watch the movies. I can only think of 6 or 8 DVD's that I actually watched some of the extras.

4. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I very much enjoyed this article, and it reminded me of a recent engineer's comment about SACD. Something like 'It took them at least 10 years to get CD's right and I expect it will be about the same for SACD'. By the way, did you catch the difference in the amount of information there is in a motion picture versus what can be crammed onto a DVD? That's the kind of news that sends me to my local theatre to see a new movie rather than wait to 'own' it on DVD. I agree with Ken that we should hope, but not necessarily expect, that the studios will do the best they can with the existing technology and improve the quality as the technology and abilities of the engineers to exploit it advances. Owning a lot of poorly done discs is the price we pay to 'be the first one on the block' to have it, and there's no one to blame but ourselves in my opinion. I've got a library of several hundred laserdiscs that are a huge improvement over VHS but not as good as a typical DVD. What I learned from this experience was to get most of my movies from netflix, and if I saw something that was extraordinary I could buy it later. I don't think The Godfather set looks all that bad, by the way, and I'm not going to buy the new one. Don't get fooled again.

5. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

It says in the NYT article that a DVD can hold 17 gigs. Is that so? I had thought it was only half that. Jeff

6. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

A dual-layered (9gB) double-sided disc could conceivably hold that much info. Manufacturing a disc like that hasn't been easy though. Frankly, I prefer that the information be spread over two discs.

7. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

I see, double sided insofar as you need to flip it like a pancake. Jeff

8. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Thanks, Chris ... interesting article ... I am just beginning to acquire DVDs ... I probably have 20 or so (including the new Looney Tunes DVD) ... haven't bought a DVD player yet but probably will before the 1st of the year ... I found the following very interesting:

Ain't technology grand ... has anyone seen or can anyone comment on Lowry's restored versions of "Casablanca" and/or "North By Northwest"?

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

North by Northwest looks better than it has a right to given the source element used. The grain removal may have gone too far, but what is really spectacular about the presentation are the rock solid colors. They used a faded 35mm IP and corrected the faded yellow layer in the digital video domain. The results are pretty impressive, although the process didn't address the source element issues with the movie in the "film domain".

Casablanca looks fantastic and quite film-like. It may be Lowry's best looking work available on DVD, although arguably the DVDs they worked on from bad source elements (North by Northwest, Sunset Boulevard, Roman Holiday) are even more impressive.

Regards,

10. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

This was an interesting article, and then you have the flip side........when a clown like John Landis goes to the transfer guys and tells them to DEGRADE the image on "Animal House" because it looked "too good".

Does anyone here doubt that a year from now, they will quietly reissue "Animal House" yet again, this time from the "Undegraded" Master, add some interviews, etc, and call it the "New Remastered Special Edition"?

I dont.

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Although Michael has admitted that the UAV DVD of the first Over The Hill Gang movie is almost unwatchable, and I agree and Over The Hill Rides Again has a little bit better picture quality. What we need are DVDs of these movies taken from elements that Aaron Spelling should have, if he still has them.

12. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I'm also beyond 500 DVDs. I just love this format. Even bought a portable DVD player for the car so I can enjoy a fine movie during down time.

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Based on the result, I don't really have any complaints. I suspect Landis was just being a bit flippant (as he tends to do). He probably thought they went too far with the digital paintbox touch-ups. The latest DVD looks pretty darn good to me. Were it not for the forced trailers at the beginning and the lame cover art, it would be just about perfect.

If someone listened to an audio mastering and did not like the way it sounded no-noised, I would not criticise them for sending the remasterer back to "put the noise back in".

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.