When can we expect Peter Gabriel on SACD or DVD-A?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt, Jul 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

Does anyone know when Peter Gabriel's albums will be released on DVD-A and SACD? When they first announced the remastering project, they mentioned plans to issue these albums on those formats as well as vinyl.

2. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

Well, the first album is coming on vinyl via Classic Records. Haven't heard anything about hi-res digital apart from those initial press releases.

I like the sound of the CDs, at least the first three which are all I've heard. I'd certainly be interested in SACDs (or DVD-A with DVD-V-compatible 24/96 stereo tracks).

Ryan

3. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Well, I'm paraphrasing severely here, but I believe the essence of Gabriel's comment when interviewed about the remasters was that "in this day and age of DVD-A and SACD, it was high time to do these remasters and bring the sound up to modern standards." Meaning, he wasn't necessarily committing to a release in a hi-res format. Still, I think what he was hinting at was that by revisiting the old tapes, and maybe the multi-tracks, that something would ultimately be in the works. Call me cynical, but I imagine that Virgin/Geffen will let the CD remasters spin for about 2 to 5 years, then launch a major rerelease in hi-res, so we can buy 'em all again and feel like we got some "time" out of the current batch.

I managed to A/B almost all of them and thought they were, for the most part, an improvement vs the old CDs. Although I will say "So" sounded...different (remixed, slightly??), not necessarily better or worse, so I held on to my Geffen/WB.

4. Mike V

Mike V New Member

"So" should never have been remixed. Why? Are the original mixes damaged? What a shame.

I'm one of the doubtful ones regarding these newest remasters. Hopefully #3 (melt face) will make it to Classic vinyl. The old CD sounds great though. Sounds like a flat transfer from the master (or very close), despite what I've heard from others here. All the hiss is still present too, but not excessive by any means. I'm sure the new CDs are clean as a whistle (in other words, sucked the life right out of them).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.