When Did 60s Nostalgia Begin?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Of course, in the bottom of most of our hearts is a wish to go back in time to when Elvis, Jack Benny, our favorite TV, movie and recording stars were still alive and kicking. This is a LOT of why we remember that time so fondly (being kids and all). Heck, to be able to run home from school, play and then turn on the Mickey Mouse Club or whatever and then play our little 45's until dinner and then watch Andy Griffith and Don Knotts is quite nostalgic. But that's the good. The bad outweighs it. I'll stay here, thank you.

bumbletort and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  2. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

American Graffiti (1973). "Where were you in '62?"

Mr Bass likes this.
  3. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I don't remember any significant Beatles nostalgia in the late 1970s. The Sgt. Pepper film with Peter Frampton et al. was widely seen as terrible. It seemed to me that almost everyone was into the latest disco hits, and did not care about music like the Beatles.

Also, there was much less popularity and mass visible profile to the punk scene than revisionist history would have you believe.

4. Steve Hoffman

You're a good bro, bro! Thanks.

spencer1 likes this.
  5. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Gad, the missile crisis. I sat in class one afternoon, not long after JFK gave a speech at an armory a few blocks away, and thought with crystal clear sobriety: this time next week we could all be gone and this place a radioactive wasteland. Changed my life.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  6. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

A very memorable picture. But that was really the end of the 1950s. I think the mythical 60s ran from 63-72.

7. Stewart Meat

Stewart Meat Active Member

1968...by then it was over.

8. Steve Hoffman

Yup, which is why I say that to me, everything that happened after was gravy. We came very close to being toast and anyone who was old enough at the time to understand remembers that well.

Doug Sclar and Dance Mxyzptlk like this.
  9. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I agree with Steve, and what I remember is that except on certain college campuses, if you were that age then, the 1960s was a much more cleancut, straightlaced time for young people than the phony nostalgia industry would have you believe.

Dance Mxyzptlk and bumbletort like this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Let me just say one more thing and then I'll shut up (you hope). :^)

For me, a sort of "nostalgia" happened during the 1974 WATERGATE mess. I mean, as Louis CK said, we watched on TV as the president of the United States just waved goodbye and flew away. Wow. That was it. What was going to happen next? No one knew. All the dirty mess, exposed, disgusting stuff that had been hidden, now out for everyone to know about. I and everyone else I knew was totally sick of it, wanted to "un-know it".

Good grief, who wouldn't be nostalgic for an earlier time? Dig?

But we didn't really want to go BACK in time, we just longed perhaps for the innocence of that time.. We wanted to be able to TRUST the people in charge. Alas, that has never happened.

bumbletort likes this.
  11. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Two words: Altamont and Manson. After those two, it was all nostalgia.

12. This is true. Even in, now hipster-over-run, Echo Park I was only one of literally half-dozen boys in all of the elementary school that had long hair in the late 60's.

13. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I have some fond memories of my youth which happened to occur during the 60's so for that reason I get a bit wistful. But I would never want to live those years again. I remember riding on a school bus through violent demonstrations regarding school desegregation in Kentucky, literally whites vs blacks. I remember assassinations, I remember the nightly news Viet Nam body counts ("16 americans, 84 VietNamese, it was a good day today for America") I remember duck-and-cover and actually practicing how to survive a nuclear bomb explosion.

Think about that.

AM radio was about the only thing we had to temporarily block out the insanity of the world around us. But quite honestly, it was a very unsettled and scary time.

bumbletort likes this.
  14. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

15. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Yes. The hack take on 1960s college is something approaching a hippie commune with trucks filled with love beads about to be dispensed amidst deafening roars of 'FAR OUT' and 'GROOVY, MAN' as everyone takes licks of sidewalks of sugar laced with LSD.

Okay, I exaggerate. But not much.

Okay, a little more than much--but I think I caught the essence of the phoniness.

Mostly.

16. Those were the days, And every kid said the pledge of allegiance every morning at school. :thumbsup:

bumbletort likes this.
  17. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

This thread has certainly made an interesting turn for some of you Boomers out there - it's quite enlightening (and I mean that in a good way).

bumbletort likes this.
  18. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Kept you on your toes by cracky--step lively!!

morinix likes this.
  19. Ha ha, yeh, while the old ladies looked at my mother and said "what a lovely daughter you have" only because I had long hair. o_O

bumbletort likes this.
  20. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Yes, I agree with you. I like your post as well.

21. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Move out of CA maybe? Pledge is still alive and well over in Bucks County PA. :D

No duck and cover though, thank goodness. I had the tail end of that in the mid(?) 1970's, I believe -- my kids worry about other things now but being vaporized in a nuclear explosion doesn't seem to be high on their list atm.

Bender Rodriguez and morinix like this.
  22. I don't know if it's done anymore at all in So Cal. but if it is here is how it will go,
    Yo prometo lealtad a la bandera de los estados Unidos de America, y a la Republica que representa, una Nacion bajo Dios, entera, con libertad y justicia para todos

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  23. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Haha! I stepped into a bar to get a six-pack for the sons of a friend of my mother. To this day--well, to be blunt, I think they set me up, haha. I had long hair and these boys--and their town for that matter--was, uh, not exactly counter culture friendly. Next thing I know some dude and his girl make some remark about me looking like a girl...then the guy furthers it by asking if I have a sister. I turned to him and said, while staring him in the eyes in my best Clint Eastwood fashion, "Yes, I do. But you wouldn't like her--she looks just like me." He actually looked scared, bwahahahaha!!!

morinix likes this.
  24. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

yep, every morning at school started with the pledge of allegience. How times have changed.

25. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Well, there probably a few neighborhoods like that.

Steve Carras and bumbletort like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.