When Did 60s Nostalgia Begin?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

Using "late '60s" as your timeline you leave out the British Invasion, The Byrds, Beach Boys ect. which are, to me, what the '60s were all about. As you say, the late '60s were little differant than the early '70s. The mid '60s (Beatles to Monterey) was the core, IMO.

2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

You're right - my bad. Late 60's was a typo. I should have said either mid-60's or the latter half of the of the 60's i.e. 1965 and onward. Obviously there is no clean demarcation mark for when the 'popular conscious' 60's began. I think most people and historians see it as coming apparent in the wake of the Kennedy/Beatles-Brit invasion/Vietnam trilogy. Late 63 to late 64. My girlfriend remembers a rather sharp transition from the summer of 1965 to summer 66 on Sunset Strip Hollywood/LA. In 1965 she said most of the guys on the strip and at the beach (not all, but most) still had the the all-American clean cut Beach Boys look but by 1966..whoa...it was the Buffalo Springfield / Byrds / long hair / sideburns look and an explosion in women's fashion fueled by "all things London." Since she loves fashion (and eventually her living) she was all eyes and ears, taking it in. The occasional smell of incense and the sounds of jangly American & Brit invasion rock (the Animals, Stones Aftermath etc.) coming from shops as she'd walk past.

ajsmith and bumbletort like this.
  3. MusicalHeaven

MusicalHeaven Well-Known Member

Well don't forget that 1965 also saw Beach Blanket Bingo released and the TV show Gidget began which further illustrated that culture still hanging on in 1965. I agree that 1966 was a big transitional year. I wonder why 1966 was a transitional year.

bumbletort likes this.
  4. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

When you get an answer to what did that, please let me know. Seriously. I have plans to bottle it.

5. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I think nostalgia is on a 20 year cycle, I remember in the seventies it was the fifties, and in the eighties it was the sixties, etc....this is a cycle of diminishing returns,
    hope I don't live till 2030 when I'll have to be forced to re-live the awfulness of this decade's music....

6. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

I'm listening to a 1967 hit-WRITTEN by CHARLIE CHAPLIN!! And crooned by PETULA CLARK-her "A Countess from Hong Kong" song, "This is my Song", one of the most beautiful "sixties" hits ever!

7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

In the 80s, for me. Great time.

8. Eli

Eli Party Coordinator

With Jay & the Americans' 1969 album Sands of Time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.