When did DVD's become worthless?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agaraffa, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member Thread Starter

Over the years I've ripped all my DVDs and to be honest, don't even have a DVD player anymore, so I though it was a good time to free up some shelf space and sell my DVD collection. In the past I've sold DVDs here and there and usually got at least a dollar or two for them. When I went to check today I was being quoted prices of around 10 cents a piece for a standard DVD to maybe $1.50 for a box set like The Sopranos Season 2. Are they serious? Honestly, I don't think the few bucks they're willing to send me will cover the postage to ship them... I'm sure it would cost more than a dime to mail a DVD. I guess if I want to get rid of them they're going in a landfill.

Michael likes this.
  2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It seems like physical media is getting a beating. I refuse to let mine go. It's not worth it...

3. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I'm glad I sold off my collection several years ago when you could still get a few bucks per title.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

try buying an OOP title! suddenly they are worth so much! especially if it's not on BR! I'd hang onto them. LOL! the blank DVD case is worth more than the friggin movie! I'd smash them first before I'd sell them for a dime.

5. Michael

I'm so glad I kept my DVDs! just see what happens when they totally kill physical media...

6. Michael

not only do I keep them now, but I have bought the ones I sold off years ago when they were getting high prices...now I can get them back for a buck or less...

audiomixer likes this.
  7. Michael

Hey! I'll give you fifty cents a piece! LOL!

audiomixer likes this.
  8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

because dvd are at a saturation point. if you want em, you likely have them, and stores are sitting on acres of used dvds. blu ray you'll have better luck selling

driverdrummer likes this.
  9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Last time I sold several at once, I scored enough for them to pay me by check. This time around, I'll have to see if it's gotten that bad around here.
    Have several again because of great Blu ray deals / breathtaking upgrades ( Superman, Goodellas ).

10. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Sell them here for $2 +shipping, someone might bite.

11. Myke

No, we've had a guy for 5 years that I know of, that tries to sell video. It just sits there.

Almost forgot...I love checking my Amazon records and seeing that the DVD originally cost me anywhere from $.99 to $9.99 back in 2008. :laugh:

12. progrocker71

I sold my collection because I was moving halfway across the country and decided I didn't want to haul a bunch of stuff with me. I kept my small collection of blu-rays, a couple DVD box sets of TV shows I liked but the rest were sold to help finance the relocation. My entire CD collection went at the same time (I kept my LPs). Many of the DVDs and all of the CDs I ripped onto external hard drives.

Honestly, I haven't missed the physical collection and I haven't repurchased anything I've sold in the 4 years since.

Michael likes this.
  13. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I love how they are cheap to purchase used now. I'll be safe with a physical collection when all the digital downloads that people purchased disappear, licenses lapse, hard drives crash, etc...

Tuco, jeatleboe, DiabloG and 7 others like this.
  14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I've pulled out DVDs I've had for years and been shocked at how bad they look on my big widescreen HD TV. They were made to look good when shown letterboxed on 4:3 1999 TV sets. I'd never buy a DVD now that was more than about 10 years old -- you're better off streaming the movie from Netflix or iTunes. And then obviously Blu-Ray has rendered even good DVDs inferior.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Mohojo and Yankee8156 like this.
  15. Myke

My UK Frasier box looks horrible. :agree:

16. progrocker71

...unless there's a fire, flood, burglary, etc. In that case, you'll probably wish you had ripped that physical collection onto hard drives and stored them in a safety deposit box.

mj_patrick and Yankee8156 like this.
  17. Michael

I just have too many and I cannot imagine dealing with weeding them out so I just keep them...

seed_drill likes this.
  18. Michael

yes, the non anamorphic ones.

dlokazip, Dino and audiomixer like this.
  19. Myke

That's only one problem. The increase in pixels shows every flaw, there's a crappy blurriness sometimes, lots of possible problems.

Yankee8156 likes this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

When did DVD's become worthless?
    June, 2006.

21. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Way too much trouble.

audiomixer and zen like this.
  22. 905

905 Senior Member

2003-2006 or so seems to be the peak from what I remember. I used to actually get excited reading the TV on DVD release dates and seeing those old sitcoms being released as season sets.
    Like What's Happening :hide:
    But I haven't bought a DVD in a long time.

23. Myke

I bought one yesterday. Scarecrow w/ Pacino and Hackman. Only way to get it.

No, I don't stream, I have data caps.

24. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Man, I paid a fortune for my DVD collection. :sigh:

The Pinhead and Michael like this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think HD and Blu-ray torpedoed the value of both DVD discs and players. Very hard to hang on to obsolete technology, unless it's a show or production shot in standard-def.

erniebert likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.