When Mandy Moore Released Wild Hope...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benjamin Edge, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident Thread Starter

For all those of you familiar with Mandy Moore's career... when you bought her 2007 album, Wild Hope, and then live, when you saw her strumming her guitar for "Can't You Just Adore Her?" didn't at least some of you feel confused over her new musical direction? I know it seemed to be, because though Moore wanted to distance herself from the manufactured dance-pop of her heyday, some of her longtime fans didn't take that into consideration.

For those who do agree on this matter, I best compare this side of Moore's with that of Neil Young circa 1983, when he released such albums as Trans and Everybody's Rockin', which not only confused some of his longtime fans but also David Geffen, who sued him for over $3 million (his claim being Young's two albums for the label sounded "unrepresentative") and which later led Young to retaliate and lob the ball back at Geffen for $21 million, claiming that the contract Young had signed promised him complete artistic control.

~Ben

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I'm just glad she did. Her following album "Amanda Leigh" was wonderful.

3. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

I really dig the Wild Hope/Amanda Leigh two-fer. Any idea whether she's got anything on the horizon?

4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Not sure.

I recently got the Target edition of her "Wild Hope" album with the two bonus tracks. The first bonus track is better than a lot of the stuff on the album proper and sounds like the most single-oriented of all the tracks. What a missed opportunity!

p.s. In 2014, Mandy was working on an album with then-husband Ryan Adams, but their divorce squashed that.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

...and I say getting her show renewed for TWO SEASONS at once, is gonna put her off that merry-go-round for quite awhile, no matter how much chance she has at the brass ring.

Hollywood has a way of diverting talented people from making the best of their talents, as their real opportunities drift farther and farther off their horizons.

ianuaditis likes this.
  6. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

I just thought it was the next logical step as Wild Hope followed her last Sony album release, Coverage, which found her covering Van Morrison & Cat Stevens. Had the label bothered putting any promo into it and not just dumping it out there it could've been a decent sized hit. I sold a lot of copies of it off of in store play. Heck, since This Is Us involves a lot of flashbacks to the era that album's songs are from, I'm surprised Sony hasn't repackaged it to capitalize on Mandy's comeback...

7. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

She also stars in two cartoons for Disney, Tangled is one of my kids favorite shows, and my daughter used to watch Sherriff Callie when she was smaller.

8. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I don't think the comparison with Neil works. He made those albums on his own and handed them to Geffen to be released. She left the left the teen pop market with "Coverage", which was made with Sony's knowledge and participation. After that anybody that signed her or followed her should of known they weren't getting anything like her first couple of albums after she trashed them in various interviews. I wonder if Epic and then Sire, tried to get her to go back to that direction before they dropped her. "Amanda Leigh" came out on a label her manager started and was distributed by a Sony company, R.E.D.
    With that show getting renewed for two seasons, I would suppose Ryan is off the hook for any alimony.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  9. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Has she finished her concept album of the origin of The Food Network? I hear it's a triple album.

10. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

I've liked what I heard, all hers, but I didn't buy or see what she did, due partly to her change in direciton, as she really didn't need it, but I alwaysd enjoy her. Ben, thansk for reminding me to buy her 2007 album today, but wonder where I can see her live as I haven't...you saw her shark movie, 47 meters, didn't you? I saw it in Las Vegas..how many have?

Benjamin Edge likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.