Where are all the new guitar heros?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Is the guitar hero dead in current new music and artists today?
    I miss the days where I can instanly recognize who's soloing in a song without hearing the rest of the song. What happened to those days? And before people start throwing names like Tom Morello and the Pearl Jam guitarists' out remember these guys have been around for over 10 years now. I'm talking within the past 5 years or less- sorry Kenny Wayne Shepard and Jonny Lang have been around for more than 5 years too.
    It's all generic soloing crap now. All these new guys are all schmoos and have no trademark sound.
    It's sad!
    Am I missing out on any hot-shot new guitarists out there or is there really not any? The only one I can think of is maybe John Mayer and Pete Yorn and Pete Yorn doesn't even really solo much.

2. Mike

Mike New Member

The guitar solo in popular music is passe. Blame Nirvana. John Mayer is technically skilled, but I haven't heard him play any solos in the songs I've heard on the radio. Pete Yorn? Get out of town.

The last guitar hero was Jerry Cantrell. When you think about it, all the guitar players in the big grunge bands were no good except Cantrell. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana - all mediocre on a good day.

3. bartels76

I think I was strechinga bit w/ Yorn. mayer does actually solo a lot in concert and his non-singles.

I don't think soloing is dead. Bands like Fuel and Godsmack solo in their songs. I have some of their CD's but I can't even tell you the guitarists name in either band nor do they have a trademark sound.

4. Mike

Mike New Member

Ah yes, the guy in Fuel is not bad, but he doesn't solo much and is more of a songwriter than guitar soloist. I think there is only one solo on the entire Sunburn album - on the song Sunburn. The Godsmack guy is OK, but he is just a lesser clone of Jerry Cantrell.

5. GregY

GregY New Member

Joe Bonamassa?

Jack White? (I'm sure plenty will disagree.)

6. bartels76

Who's Joe Bonamassa?

7. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Johnny Greenwood - Radiohead. Great player with a very distinct tone. Very melodic player, great, compact emotional solos, and equally skilled at making cool sounds via a wide array of effects.

Chris

8. Mike

Mike New Member

Let me be the first! :laugh:

I haven't heard Joe Bonamassa, but I wouldn't classify him as "popular". I think the guy my brother has been touting is Chris Duarte, I haven't heard him yet either.

9. Mike

Mike New Member

Well if we are going back that far then I will name Adam Jones of Tool. Not many solos, but tons of cool sounds.

10. bartels76

Nope, band has to be recording no more than 5 years. Radiohead & Tool does not count. If they counted we get into a thread where everyone mentions their favorite guitarist of the past 35 years and then it turns into a Beatles UK vinyl thread!

: )

11. Mike

Mike New Member

Well I think it's safe to say there aren't any guitar heroes selling lots of albums or on the radio, so I will name Derek Trucks, nephew of Butch Trucks of the Allman Brothers. His first album was in 1997 and he is really good guitar player. My brother gave me one of his albums to listen to and I thought it was kind of boring. But if you get a chance to see him play live definitely check him out. The dude can play!

12. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

Again, mainstream guitar music is dead. You have to look elsewhere for scorching solos.

13. Damn good call.

I had been reading about Derek for a while in various guitar mags, but had not heard him until recently, when I picked up the new Allman CD, Hitting the Note.

The kid is a freakin monster. I defy anyone to listen to some of his work on this CD, and NOT think he was Duane. And I don't mean that he sounds a little like Duane, I mean he IS Duane.

Cool thing about this CD; in the liner notes it says that Derek is on one side, and Warren Haynes is on the other. You can sit there and listen, knowing who is playing what part. That's kind of handy, since Warren is not exactly a slouch either.

BGL

14. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Actually, I'd blame the Sex Pistols. It was punk that made any kind of instrumental virtuosity in Rock passe. FWIW, I thought Kym Thayil of Soundgarden was pretty good (long before your 5-year time frame) though he didn't solo much.

My favorite young guitarist these days is Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree (unfortunately he's been recording for 10 years - until quite recently in total anonymity, so maybe he counts?). He's incredibly versatile, experiments with many different sounds and textures in his solos, and can be very lyrical when he chooses to be (and he does quite often).

15. bartels76

What is Derek Trucks' best album out so far?

16. whaaat

whaaat LT Fanatic

:thumbsup: I saw Radiohead live at the Skydome last week, and Greenwood rocked my world! I can't wait for the Bodysong soundtrack (movie sounds interesting, too)!
    Another artist I'd add is the (criminally?) unknown and underappreciated Lewis Taylor. M'f'er can play like Hendrix, sing like Marvin Gaye (admittedly the Marvin of I Want You and Here My Dear, not What's Going On) and layer vocals like Brian Wilson. His self-titled debut album is the only thing that makes me doubt whether OK Computer is the greatest album of the 1990s.

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Guitar hero? I think the guitar hero is "dead"... except guitarist like Joe Satriani or Jeff Beck.

18. Mike

Mike New Member

The only one I've heard is Out of the Madness from 1998 and I didn't dig it much. Why don't you buy them all and let us know? :D I didn't know he played on Hitting The Note. It's now on my list. Thanks!

19. Ben

Ben New Member

Jack White?

Yes!

Awesome player with passion...

Ben

20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Let me be the SECOND!
    Anyone that would insult SRV should have both hands bitten off by rats!!!!

21. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

The first thing I thought of when I read the thread title was Derek Trucks, too. What a bad-ass. His solo stuff is weak because the songs are, but he's gold with the Allmans.

If you want to hear some cool guitar stuff from a real heavy band, check out Opeth. I can't spell their names (singer plays lead and there's another guitarist) because they're Swedish.

22. BRush

BRush Senior Member

What about Robert Randolph?

23. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Anyone notice the lack of guitar solos on the last Rush studio album? Even the older bands are doing this to try to sound contemporary. Soloing of any type in contemporary music is taboo these days. One of the things I dislike about most "modern rock" is all the musicians compete for the same space 100% of the time.

24. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

Yes, "Soul Serenade" and his most recent CD's are outstanding. I believe that he's marrried to Susan Tedeschi ... Other than Trucks though, I'm also at a loss.

Well, we've all still got all those old Cream records, don't we ? :)

Mike

25. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Rush hasn't really soloed since the late 70s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.