Where is this TT hum coming from? (details inside)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mert100, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mert100

mert100 New Member Thread Starter

Hello,

I bought a Debut Carbon DC a few weeks ago and I've been battling this annoying hum that seems to be coming from the tonearm/cartridge.
    Here is what I know so far:

-It's not the phono stage of my amp - I swapped in my old technics turntable and the amp was SILENT. No hum whatsoever.
    -The ground wire from my TT to my amp is securely connected - without it, the hum is MUCH louder.
    -The hum gets louder when my cartridge gets closer to the platter.
    -When I, with my fingers, touch the little screw that is on the underside of the tonearm (that the 4 cartridge cables are close to) and the spindle in the center of the platter, the hum goes away.
    -I've removed and reconnected all 4 cartridge cables just because.

Here is something very strange (to me, at least):
    -I took the TT into my local audio store where I bought it because I wanted to get my issue looked at. I brought my own RCA cables and they plugged my TT into an identical amp (to mine at home), and lo and behold, it was SILENT. I felt crazy.

So, must it be something in my house? If so, why did my old technics make NO noise whatsoever when I plugged it in?

I'm at my wit's end, I have no idea what to do at this point.

Thanks for any advice.

2. mert100

mert100 New Member Thread Starter

bumping. still have no idea.

3. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Weird. It's clearly a grounding issue of some sort. If the turntable itself isn't earthed, then it's relying on the amp having a good ground connection. It may be that your amp doesn't have a good ground connection - two-pin mains, perhaps? - while the one in the shop had a good ground connection. One experiment to try, if you haven't already, is to get a piece of cable and attach one end to a really good ground like a water pipe. Then take the other end and try connecting it to different parts of the turntable and amplifier - staying well away from the live parts, obviously - to see what effect it has.

jupiterboy likes this.
  4. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

Do you have anything like an amp very close to your turntable??

arisinwind likes this.
  5. I had a hum in my system. Turned out it was the Dish satellite receiver nearby causing it. Plugged into the same electric circuit. Moved it and the hum cleared up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.