Where should I look for speaker info?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TSmithPage, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member Thread Starter

I bought my last pair of speakers as a freshman entering college in 1983- almost 20 years ago now!:eek: They were Acculab speakers, which as far as I know, no longer exists as a company. They never seemed to have much in the way of stereo imaging but were a fairly efficient and precise sounding set of speakers. Prior to Christmas, while playing a George Winston CD, I noticed they were sounding muddy and not crisp. I listened with headphones and confirmed that it was not the recording. It sounds like after all these years they have finally expired. Do speakers have a shelf life?

Anyway, while I'm sure I didn't spend much on them all those years ago, I want to assure that what I replace them with is a significant improvement. I would like to be able to discern clearly the difference in quality between DCCs and other versions, so I can join the weeping and gnashing of teeth about the new remasters here.:D I don't need booming bass, but I want a set that that accurately reproduce the sound as intended. Can anyone recommend one or more websites that can provide me a refresher course on what to look for in speakers, the different types of speakers to choose from (what's 2 way vs. 3 way? what's a bookshelf vs. a regular speaker? etc.). As I may keep these for awhile, I'm probably willing to go as much as $1000 for a pair. I don't plan to replace my receiver (a Yamaha AX-500U) any time soon, and I don't think it packs a lot of power, so I'm probably looking for something fairly efficient- i.e., powered w/60 watts or so. Any thoughts?

2. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Todd,
    IMO speakers are so subjective, that you really have to go out to the stores and just listen. For example, I love the planar sound, but others feel that not dynamic enough.

For a basic primer, try here: http://www.goodsound.com/howto/2001_05_15.htm

Have fun!!

Jay N.

3. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

4. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

5. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

About the only thing you can do with typical speaker stats is check for sensitivity and resistance, to make sure you aren't accidentally buying something that will exert too hard a load on your amplifier/receiver.

The ubiquitous "frequency response" spec is virtually useless for judging how a speaker will sound; you have to listen. The website Gary referred to is useful for reducing your audition list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.