Where to get early Pink Floyd singles/songs not albums on vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jazon, May 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew Thread Starter

I am looking for on vinyl (best sounding option ideally) for something that has most of these songs

Apples and Oranges
    Vegetable Man
    Scream Thy Last Scream
    See Emily Play
    Candy and a Current Bun

Is Masters of Rock really the only option? I can't see where Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream are on anything.

2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

'Vegetable Man' and 'Scream Thy Last Scream' were never officially released on vinyl. I don't know much about vinyl bootlegs, so I keep that open here.
    But the other tracks you mentioned can be found on the Best Of Pink Floyd LP from Columbia Netherlands (released 1970 I think) and several versions of Masters Of Rock.
    For the Holland LP I can say 'Apples And Oranges' contains a true stereo mix there but 'Emily' and 'Candy' are duophonic.

deredordica, Chrome_Head and jazon like this.
  3. jazon

Its too bad they couldn't of put Apples and Oranges and Canady and a Current Bun on the upcoming reissue of Relics at least.

ODShowtime likes this.
  4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Relics is a classic release in it's own right. Like "Decade" or "Hot Rocks" ... it stands on its own. Don't be messing with the tracklist.

Szeppelin75 and jazon like this.
  5. jazon

True. Perhaps they need to release the Early Singles cd included in the Shine On box set as a standalone..preferably in vinyl.

Szeppelin75 and lucan_g like this.
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm sure you mainly look for the songs on 33rpm LPs. But, just in case you take the alternative with 7'', the most recent release of the early Pink Floyd singles on vinyl is in the Early Years box set.
    The box set itself is pretty expensive, but sometimes Ebay people sell the memorabilia and singles set individually.

AlienRendel, Chrome_Head and jazon like this.
  7. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

As much as I can't wait to get Relics when it is released, a proper round up of non-album tracks, without any album tracks added would be great as an alternative to the massive box. Even the 2cd release that came out at the time of the box missed a few tracks from the singles.

I would love one album on vinyl to mop up;
    Arnold Layne
    Candy and the Currant Bun
    See Emily Play
    Apples and Oranges
    Painbox
    It Would Be So Nice
    Julia Dream
    Point Me At The Sky
    Careful With That Axe Eugene
    Biding My Time
    Embryo
    and then add a handful of the best unreleased at the time tracks all in their original mixes.

It is kind of frustrating that there has never been a widescale release of all those tracks in one places. I remember when I was first collecting Floyd in the late 80s that to get all the early singles was virtually impossible except on the 45s themselves.

Mitland, parman, Natural E and 4 others like this.
  8. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I agree, all their various releases are a mish-mash, and you can't get a lot of these single tracks on one release. I don't think the band is too keen on the quality of the very early post-Syd singles.

^ This material would all be great with both the live electric version of "Embryo" and the acoustic studio version (throw in "Scream" & "Vegetable" for a nice 2-LP pressing of all the spare tracks).

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

They should call this double-LP Another Nice Pair.

10. Chrome_Head

Haha, yep, that would be a good name for a b-leg pressing. Clearly the band has no interest in officially re-releasing this material outside of the pricey box and the Relics reissue.

Wasn't the original A Nice Pair just Piper & Saucerful on a 2-LP? I keep seeing it used at the store, I should grab it.

Old Rusty and andrewskyDE like this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Yes, that was indeed a combination of the first two albums.
    But beware of the US pressings, those have the Ummagumma live version of 'Astronomy Domine' on there instead of the actual studio version.

12. Chrome_Head

Thanks for the heads up. I think I remember reading that in Schaffner's Saucerful Of Secrets biography.

As cool as the Ummagumma version of "Astronomy" surely is, replacing the Syd version on Piper is unacceptable!

AlienRendel and andrewskyDE like this.
  13. Colocally

Quite baffling actually, does anyone know why?

14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

45 RPM singles for most of those songs were included with the Pink Floyd "The Early Years" box set. It's only $475...

Ron2112 likes this.
  15. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

The Syd singles (except Candy and A Currant Bun) can be found on the 2010 Introduction to Syd Barrett LP. This does not have Vegetable Man or Scream Thy.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    AlienRendel likes this.
  16. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

And there we have another Pink Floyd album! :D
    Good idea!

17. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

I have a copy purchased new of "Melk Weg"...a boot that has a lot of the unreleased oddities.

Syd Barrett - Melk Weg

jazon and Chrome_Head like this.
  18. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

The best option back then was to grab the fairly easy to find 'Masters of Rock' which has a- and b-sides of the first four singles. Still baffles me why the fifth one, 'Point Me At The Sky'/'Careful With That Axe, Eugene', isn't on it. 'Careful' could be found on 'Relics', 'Point Me...' on a sampler called 'Purple Simon Moves the Pink Harum', which was more difficult to get hold of.

andrewskyDE, jazon and Szeppelin75 like this.
  19. Chrome_Head

Never heard this Syd track "Just Before You Dissapear (Live 1969)" before--is it an actual song or a jam?

20. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Your best option, imo, is to find someone who bought the Early Years box set, but who doesn't want the vinyl 45s or is looking to defray the cost of the box by selling off the vinyl. You could then get everything, except VM and STLS, which were never officially on vinyl. There is another possibility floating around in the aether, though: I would not be overly surprised if Pink Floyd Records released an "Early Singles" LP which collects up all of the early singles (see: the Early Singles disk from the Shine On boxset), and adds in VM and STLS. The Early Singles CD is 33 minutes, so VM and STLS would fit on the LP.

jazon likes this.
  21. Colocally

I found a copy of The Early Singles in a local Salvation Army Thrift store two years ago, best $2 I have ever spent.

Blue Note likes this.
  22. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

They would fit, but I've a hunch they won't include them on an Early Singles-type album. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

23. Django

Django Forum Resident

I'd be into that.

24. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I would love to see a 45 release of Vegetable Man b/w Scream thy.. maybe for a RSD?

25. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I like the German Masters on Harvest best, terrible cover though

andrewskyDE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.