Which album have you given the most chances but still ended up disliking?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Really? "The Miracle" vs " Night At The Opera" . :help::shrug:.

Night at the Opera is an all time classic. Gotta listen to the wide range of work on it.

Sondek and Ash76 like this.
  2. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Try the MFSL cd. You won't be sorry.

3. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Same here. Bought it on release, put it on and was bored long before the end. Same every time I listen. Not enough magic moments or catchy interludes. I agree it works better with the movie.

Folknik likes this.
  4. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

[​IMG]

Is this the album that you are referring to? If so, it is about my least favorite Miles Davis album, and I have all of the official releases from his entire career and have played them all often.

I love your name, BrewCrew82. The Brewers of 1982 were very special to me. I grew up in Wisconsin. I was a Milwaukee Braves fan as a youngster, and was crushed when they moved away. I got very excited by the coming of the Brewers' expansion franchise, but endured the years of poor teams. When they got good in the late 1970s it was so exciting, and for them to finally make the World Series in 1982 was incredible. I once explained all of that to Bud Selig, who I met in the mid 1980s, years before he became Commissioner. He shouted back at me, "you know!!! you know!!!"

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's close to the posts that say "anything by [Insert Artist Here]". Are we really supposed to believe those folks listened to everything the artist day over and over? I kinda don't think so.

I think most of the posts in this thread have been on-topic/on-target, but the "anything by..." posts are essentially threadcraps...

6. Oatsdad

Why? Who cares if someone doesn't like an album that you enjoy?

dino77, Hot Ptah and graystoke like this.
  7. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just wish everyone enjoyed that album. :)

8. Oatsdad

Okay. Still not sure why it matters. Saying you feel bad for those of us who don't love it seems kinda condescending, IMO.

I feel bad for those who think Diana Ross's "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" is better than the Gaye/Terrell version - and I'll gladly be condescending about that! :D

9. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oats stop it! Diana's cover of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" :cussing:is the definitive version!

10. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Wow

11. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Did they work together?... "Songs from the Woody Guthrie" perhaps? ;)

stef1205, Randu and Hot Ptah like this.
  12. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Precisely, very well stated. I didn't listen to Pet Sounds for the first time until 2004 and
    loved it immediately (and regretted waiting so long to listen to it) but the album seemed anything but a typical "rock" LP. For years it seemed to turn up on "Best Rock LP" lists
    at number 2 (usually right behind Sgt. Pepper or Revolver) and I remember thinking that a lot of people would buy it based on its list position and be REALLY disappointed.
    The same is true for certain other albums like Forever Changes and Astral Weeks.

13. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

All three of those albums eschew standard rock instrumentation/musical language, almost entirely in the case of Astral Weeks and Pet Sounds. It's great that Rock Music is a broad enough term to embrace all three, but each of those LP's occupies unique territory. It's a big part of their appeal, they sound like nothin' else. I don't necessarily think of The Beach Boys, Love and Van Morrison as being sui generis artists, but those specific albums come close.

In all three cases I admire the ambition and the reach (over-reach?) of the artist, but Pet Sounds is the only one of the three that I personally love. I am a big fan of Love's first two LP's and have been enjoying Van Morrison's extensive catalog for decades. There are times when Van The Man can ease me off a "rough day at the office" like no other singer. But Astral Weeks isn't the album I reach for.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    Hot Ptah and CliffL like this.
  14. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Yeah....Ive already had that one!

15. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

Loveless should be right up my alley, but I just can't.
    [​IMG]

dividebytube likes this.
  16. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

The narcotic vibe of Loveless is like true psychedelia for me... it always takes me to another head space, it has a visceral effect.

But I can totally understand people who think it's an empty suit.

It's Felix, stef1205 and Gavinyl like this.
  17. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

You're All I Need was my doorway into the album.

majoyenrac likes this.
  18. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

"Stage" has an excellent live version of "Heroes" and is a great album overall. Get the remixed version, which presents the songs in the same order as the concert and includes "Stay" as a bonus track.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  19. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I found the Lennon box set to be surprising in that I like the Mind Games-era songs much better with the stripped down production on the box set alternate takes. I think that the production on Mind Games ruins some good songs. It is such a boring, homogenizing production.

20. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Yeah, the quality of the sound is not the problem with The Wall.

rockclassics likes this.
  21. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

As has been discussed here in other threads, I think it could have been a really good single album.

dino77 likes this.
  22. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Now I'm gonna try again...

I tried the normal way, then I created that 10-10 or whatever mix between in rainbows and ok CPU

Then back to the regular...

And still can't crack it

23. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

If it's not for you then it's not for you. However, You're All I Need is a beautiful song to my ears.

24. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

Grateful Dead, All Albums. I have tried so hard to like them. It is one of those bands everyone talks wonderfully about and I know on that 101th listen I'm going to like it or that live concert I haven't heard yet from my friends collection, but nope for some reason the vibrations never echo in my head right. I wish they did, I hate that there is a band all of us "Music guru's" love that I can't appreciate. I usually can appreciate anything.

25. zen

zen Senior Member

I'm the same way with Pink Floyd.

Ron Jones likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.