Which artist has the most concept albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Folknik, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

What's the concept theme of Metal Machine Music? ;)

2. If you know how to assemble the elements, it's possible to restore ELO 2 back to its original concept... For those who aren't familiar with the backstory, this album was once going to be released as The Lost Planet - a full blown thematically linked piece about humanity travelling across space in search of a new home because of war and pollution becoming too much. Unfortunately, the final version only retained two songs from this ambitious plan along with the cover art (though even that was changed for the US edition). In many ways, it's a prototype version of what Jeff Lynne would later revisit on Time in an expanded, more coherent form.

Similarly, you could argue that Out Of The Blue is a collection of loosely connected tracks about coping with the surprise of his first wife announcing her intention to leave, which makes a lot more sense if the various colour and weather references are interpreted as metaphors for his personal life, particular on the side collectively entitled Concerto For A Rainy Day. By contrast, Discovery, Armchair Theatre and Zoom are mostly inspired by him falling in love all over again, though Balance Of Power could either be about his second marriage failing, having to fulfil various record contract obligations or a thinly veiled mixture of both these factors.

3. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Concept albums and theme albums are different things to me. Frank Sinatra's No One Cares is a theme album. There are no recurring motives or lyrical concerns, just songs that follow the theme of loneliness. On the other hand, Sinatra's Watertown is a concept album that follows a specific situation from song to song.

I agree with John Lennon when he knocked the widely-touted idea of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band being a concept album: "Sgt Pepper is called the first concept album, but it doesn't go anywhere. All my contributions to the album have absolutely nothing to do with the idea of Sgt Pepper and his band; but it works 'cause we said it worked, and that's how the album appeared. But it was not as put together as it sounds, except for Sgt Pepper introducing Billy Shears and the so-called reprise. Every other song could have been on any other album."

JLGB, Guy E and Former Scientist like this.
  4. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

I would add Growing Up in Public.

5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And Magic & Loss, and Legendary Hearts and arguably Transformer.

Pancat likes this.
  6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Johnny Cash has several concept albums and then you have Dave Brubeck's "Time" albums and also Marty Robbins' Gunfighter Ballads albums.

7. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's one continuous piece of music.

8. Folknik

I have those. All great!

9. Folknik

Not so sure about Out of the Blue. There are some "falling out of love songs" there, but then there's stuff like "Jungle", "The Whale", "Birmingham Blues", and "Wild West Hero" that wouldn't fit the concept at all.

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

But that doesn't really constitute a "concept". It's just one long piece of music (of course, ignoring the fact that many do not consider this album to be "music" at all---but that's a different issue).

11. Folknik

Sgt. Pepper wasn't the first concept album, but to my knowledge the term "concept album" was coined because of Sgt. Pepper. When people first began calling it a concept album, McCartney said he had never heard the term. I still see it as conceptual in that the songs, although not thematically linked, are the songs in a faux concert by a fictitious band. In the same way, The Turtles Present the Battle of the Bands is a concept album that takes the idea a step further with the Turtles becoming not just one but 12 fictitious bands. The songs are unrelated to each other, but each song is a song performed by a different band in the battle of the bands.

For me, the theme album is one type of concept album while the narrative story album is another, but yes, there is a difference.

Slokes likes this.
  12. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Me too. Especially if one limits the discussion to good concept albums (not that I love their RCA years).

13. Folknik

IMO, it has conceptual unity simply because it is one continuous piece, just like Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz and Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, and Ommadawn. One could say the same about Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play, but those 2 also have lyrics exploring unified themes.

14. Folknik

This is an area where different people have different "concepts" of what constitutes a concept album. For me, there must at least be a unified theme. Many albums were conceived as cohesive artistic statements like the Beatles' Rubber Soul, Revolver, and the White Album, but I wouldn't call any of those 3 a concept album. I also wouldn't apply the term to an album of love songs(That subject is so pervasive that concept albums would outnumber non-concept albums), or an album that used one arranger or conductor throughout (although that gives an album a certain uniform musical texture). I would say there are no clear-cut right or wrong answers to the question "What is a concept album?" .

Regandron likes this.
  15. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

Willie Nelson's had quite a few. Yesterday's Wine, Phases and Stages, Red Headed Stranger...

worldwidewarhol and Folknik like this.
  16. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I can see both sides of the definition. Frank Sinatra and Ray Charles both recorded many concept albums, but like you I don't think of them all as "Concept Albums" in my 60's-centric mentality. The Everly Brothers Songs Our Daddy Taught Us and Roots were both great concept albums. But Both Sides of an Evening and Instant Party were concept albums too, not to mention The EBs's Sing Great Country Hits, Two Yanks In England, etc.

As others have said, there's a distinction between "concept" albums and "theme" albums.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Folknik likes this.
  17. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

This, I am not a Sinatra fan, what is the concepts behind those records? Are they records of stories with the same theme? To me, a concept album is like The Lamb, a running tale, or the Wall, Snow, by Spocks Beard, etc.

18. BradOlson

Also all of his albums covering pop standards as he is a revered songwriter, such a move is a different concept for him, also Gospel albums by artists not known for Gospel music is a different concept for those artists, but in the case of stuff like Red Headed Stranger, that is like a narrative in itself.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    She is anyway likes this.
  19. BradOlson

Some of the Sinatra albums are recordings of stories with the same theme, others such as Watertown more tell a story.

chef0069 likes this.
  20. BradOlson

While not all Gospel albums are truly concept albums, the Statler Brothers did make one of their Gospel albums a concept album though, and that being "Holy Bible: The Old and New Testament" which has 2 albums with songs based on the Old Testament on one disc and songs based on the New Testament on the other. They also did patriotic albums, an album with songs about nostalgia, etc.

21. BradOlson

2nd Chapter of Acts have also recorded concept albums based on Christian music including their album based on the Chronicles of Narnia, the How The West Was One album they were a part of, etc.

22. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I wonder would have " Strangers In The Night" been called without the title track single?

23. BradOlson

Do you also have the Statler Brothers' Holy Bible: Old and New Testament double album?

Folknik likes this.
  24. BradOlson

You also have Donovan's "A Gift From a Flower To a Garden" which is a double album with 2 concept albums.

Folknik likes this.
  25. Folknik

Sinatra's album Watertown tells a story about a man whose wife leaves him and his 2 sons. The other Sinatra albums are theme albums. For Only the Lonely is an album of songs about loneliness. In the Wee Small Hours is a song cycle about being alone in the middle of the night. September of My Years is built around the theme of middle age approaching old age.

chef0069 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.