Which artist's death affected you the most?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Marc Bolan, was course, was another horrible shock...

2. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

This.

Crimson Witch and krock2009 like this.
  3. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

For me it was John Lennon. I was only 5, but I remember waking up in the middle of the night for no reason and walking into my kitchen where my mother was crying while listening to the report on the radio. I was already an avid Beatles fan and was crushed when I heard the news.

4. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

Alex Chilton really threw me. He was a newer obsession (last 7-8 years) and I was really looking forward to whatever he was gonna do next. You know how an artist becomes "one of your" artists, like, they make your personal Mt. Rushmore of music. Chilton's face was up there.

Lou Reed, although it wasn't as unexpected.

I was very young when Lennon died, but my mother was distraught and I understood who he was and why it was so horrible. Looking back, it affects me much more. Such a tragedy.

5. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

John Lennon and Richie Havens big time.

Syd Avett and Crimson Witch like this.
  6. resistanceisfutile

resistanceisfutile Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I used to be a radio disc jockey, and was on the air the night John Lennon was murdered. I'll never forget the phone calls I received that night from people calling me, because they had heard rumors about Lennon being shot. People breaking down in tears when I confirmed to them that he was indeed dead.

7. danner

danner Forum Resident

Kurt Cobain was my first big celebrity death. I was a huge Nirvana fan at the time, and it was a total shock to me. I've since lost other heroes that meant more to me, but nothing has hit me quite like that one.

8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I remember feeling that Roy Orbison's death was cruelly timed. He was on a brink of a comeback with his Mystery Girl album. He was so young too.

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

10. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Harry Chapin , we could have done with him round in the last 32 years. :(

11. dave76

dave76 Forum Resident

Freddie Mercury, without a doubt, he will always be my idol.
    Michael Jackson

12. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Jimi Hendrix. I still haven't gotten over it.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Is that Gary Moore up in the top left holding the Gibson Les Paul? If so, yeah, I was totally bummed when I learned of his death. Phil Lynott still hurts, too.

Crimson Witch and boots like this.
  14. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Lennon, especially for the shock of the way it happened. The Beatles story was so magical that it was hard to process that one of them died so senselessly. The dream was really over.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  15. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

There some tears when JJ Cale died recently.

16. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

John Lennon, it was like a physical blow.

Then Hendrix, then Garcia (even though none of us were really that surprised).

17. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Danny Gatton 1994. More or less tied with Jimi as the greatest guitarist of all time (by my reckoning). I was in a daze for about a week after I heard he'd died. The fact it is was a suicide caused me to sort of loose faith in a world in which something like that could happen.

Bill Doss 2012. One of my all time favorite musicians. I was shocked that he died at 43. No cause of death has ever been given. From a musical perspective it put an end to Olivia Tremor Control's reunion. Apparently they had nearly finished the record they'd been working on when Doss died. Supposedly it's to be released later this year. I'll believe it when I see it.

Chris Whitley 2005. I'd only been into his music for a couple years when he died and, unlike Gatton and Doss, I never got a chance to see him perform live. Musically speaking Whitley had that hard-to-define "IT" and should have been huge. I look forward to seeing the documentary of his life that's currently in the works.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  18. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

I have the Classic Records reissue of LEGGY BLONDE WAITRESS' big hit album. Highly recommended.

Crimson Witch, bluejimbop and drasil like this.
  19. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Dio.

Although the death of SRV taught me something. I had a chance to go see him a few weeks before he died. I passed, thinking I'd have plenty of other opportunities to see him again. I was, obviously, wrong.

Now, If I have a chance to see someone I want to see - I go.

20. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

A few got me misty eyed, John Entwistle, Joe Strummer, John Lennon, when Debbie Harry passes, it will be waterworks. I think the ones tied to your youth really are tuffer then others.

21. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

John Martyn - no contest.

22. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Nash the Slash and Klaus Dinger for me - both were not just musicians I loved but also personal friends.

23. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Freddie Mercury

ibis, Sondek, Crimson Witch and 8 others like this.
  24. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

David Jones. Loved by so many, died suddenly, was definitely testy eyed. And Ben Orr after the fact when I first heard this ......

25. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Lou Reed and John Winston L.