Which Hendrix (or related) album are you listening to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Nov 29, 2015.

1. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Winterland box and Valley Of Neptune, I got them last week and their getting non stop playing time.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Fire these vinyls up tonight.

West Coast Seattle Boy: The Jimi Hendrix Anthology
    Limited Edition
    Vinyl | LP (12" album, 33 rpm), Import

1. [​IMG]
    8 vinyls thoroughly cleaned.

3. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I just found a really clean Rainbow Bridge MASTERDISK RL this weekend. It sounds really nice.

4. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

5. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

How does this compare to 2010 & track ELL

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

7. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

An on going session, the stero Axis session took a long while, this being a double LP will take longer!
    Generally I find the 2010 a better listen tho' there are some issues with that RTI pressing. The QRP repress of the 2010 is a noticeable improvement and it is the QRP cut that to me at least is the best sounding copy I own.
    I will be progressing the listening sessions as I have plenty of Track, Polydor and Reprise albums to put up yet.
    When its down to the best of each label they will all go head to head.
    As for the Barclay pressings, I have 2 " finger" pressings ( early and reissue) plus the "Machine Gun" cover on the go right now. So far the MG cover pressing is coming off best of the 3. I can say that the reissue finger cover pressing (machine stamped dead wax) has the title track mastered a little shorter with the end cut!
    I will of course put up the set up I'm using for this session when the session is complete.

OneStepBeyond and Tuck1977 like this.
  8. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Wow
    You sure do have some copies of ELL

Your making me want a QRP ELL now.
    What the barcode I need to look out for, I am the UK

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  9. Gordon Johnson

Yes, I suppose I do. Maybe with the the blue Newbury and purple Barnes and Noble QRPs I can stop buying copies now? Oops, just bought a red copy from the EU, yikes!
    2 of the Barclay's are on loan from another idiot, sorry I mean good friend ha ha.

If the RTI sounds good to you on your set up then stick with it. I hear a small amount of sibilance on my US numbered copy and that is less prevelent on the QRPs.

10. Gordon Johnson

But to stay on topic, more Barclay ELLs on now with side 3 just complete.

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Just wanted to share this video.

OneStepBeyond and footlooseman like this.
  12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Kiss the Sky was my intro to Jimi. It is a great collection of songs:)

13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Jimi Hendrix- The Sotheby Tapes.

From my cd-r trading days. Axis: Bold as Love alternate takes

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  14. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland (Part 1)

Yep, I know it's not the full album... obviously, but I find it just about impossible not to grab it and play it when flipping through the collection. It does contain just about the best content of the album anyway - IMO. Although I love it all, from start to finish. And I don't mind saying it once again, it is my all-time favourite release - by anyone! :cool: This is such a nice clean copy too, with barely a click to be heard.

15. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

This is a tribute/cover album by Machine Mass that is actually pretty interesting. I clicked on it when browsing BandCamp a few months ago and found it to be a fun little album, at least much more so that I anticipated.

You can check it out at this link if anyone is curious Plays Hendrix, by Machine Mass

[​IMG]

Purple Jim and OneStepBeyond like this.
  16. Psychedelic Good Trip

Got this cranked up right now.

Live at the Fillmore East
    [​IMG]

17. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Man I wish they'd re-do this one using the multi-tracks and more dynamic mastering!

18. Psychedelic Good Trip

BIG TIME!! Love it for the performance and it historical significance in rock history.

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, this title needs an upgrade, or perhaps it should be deleted and replaced with a more comprehensive, expanded set. Back in '99, it was a neat release, but now with EH's access to the master reels, something else should be produced.

20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Just listened to a UK Polydor vinyl pressing of AYE that utilizes the US track listing. The SQ is pretty good. I haven't compared to the latest EH remaster though.

21. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

does hearing Phish webcast of a cover of Bold as Love count ?

OneStepBeyond and footlooseman like this.
  22. 905

905 Senior Member

That may be my favorite lineup I've seen or dreamed up myself.

footlooseman and Erik B. like this.
  23. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

i like it all especially anything with pali gap theres something which moves in it that makes an album more than a collection of songs like side three of electric ladyland ....where's the rest of it?

24. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Just snagged what I believe should be the 813-, no-noise free first German CD pressing of War Heroes, which I'm pretty chuffed about. We'll see when it turns up, but it's from a bulk CD shifter who reliably gets the EAN right and everything else wrong, and the EAN checked out on Discogs.

This gives me the Reprise "no RE-1" Cry of Love and the Polydor 813 War Heroes - if I were to pick up the recent Grundman remaster of Rainbow Bridge, would these sources mix together nicely to produce a decent sounding First Rays compilation? Any ReplayGain work required?

Celebrated by listening to my 18 year old, very amateurish but still ace needledrop of Rainbow Bridge, the only needle drop I've ever made in my life (indeed, Rainbow Bridge is the only vinyl I've ever owned!). I bought the LP at a fleamarket in Berlin when I was 14, on a school exchange program. My dad used to chunter about how great the album was, and how he'd loaned it to somebody in the early 70s and never seen a copy since, so I was excited to find it.

I've no idea which pressing it was, or even where it is now, but in my late teens I borrowed one of my brother's decks (top of the line Technics, as he DJed) and somehow jury rigged it up to my soundcard and recorded the album in Windows Sound Recorder, then encoded it to (probably crappy 128kbps) MP3. There's a lot of surface noise and the cymbals sound suspect, but it's still dynamic and ace, and it's hard to believe there was no digital version available until a few years ago.

Time to let the beaten old MP3s go and get the Grundman remaster, I think. But they did a great job filling the gap!

Purple Jim likes this.
  25. Psychedelic Good Trip

A young Jimi in the background 1965.

ando here and RockRoom like this.